Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hi- New to SFG from zone 5b (Columbus, OH) Toplef10Hi- New to SFG from zone 5b (Columbus, OH) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hi- New to SFG from zone 5b (Columbus, OH) I22gcj10Hi- New to SFG from zone 5b (Columbus, OH) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hi- New to SFG from zone 5b (Columbus, OH) Toplef10Hi- New to SFG from zone 5b (Columbus, OH) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hi- New to SFG from zone 5b (Columbus, OH) I22gcj10Hi- New to SFG from zone 5b (Columbus, OH) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hi- New to SFG from zone 5b (Columbus, OH)

+4
AtlantaMarie
sfg4uKim
sanderson
J Long
8 posters

Go down

Hi- New to SFG from zone 5b (Columbus, OH) Empty Hi- New to SFG from zone 5b (Columbus, OH)

Post  J Long 1/8/2015, 11:27 pm

I know no one personally involved in SFG and am currently trying to amass information to get started this spring including starting some of my own seedlings.
J Long
J Long

Back to top Go down

Hi- New to SFG from zone 5b (Columbus, OH) Empty Re: Hi- New to SFG from zone 5b (Columbus, OH)

Post  sanderson 1/9/2015, 2:28 am

Hi J Long, Welcome to the Forum from California! glad you\'re here

This is a great time to get going on SFG. If you haven't read All New Square Foot Gardening, 1st or 2nd Edition, by Mel Bartholomew, this is the time to do it. Also, go to the Home page and look at the drop down topics along the bumpy left margin. Start looking for sources of large or medium vermiculite, peat moss, and 5 different composts your Mel's Mix. Draw out how you want to arrange and build your boxes. Are there trees in the area? Maybe consider raised beds to get away from their invasive roots. Where does the sun shine on you garden area throughout the seasons? You still have time to do all this and buy seeds to start your own seedlings (unless you are going to buy seedlings at a big box store or nursery), build trellises if needed. Gosh, perfect timing. Research the first and last frost dates in your area so you can start your seedlings before the last frost date. Buy cheap fluorescent lights to grow the seedlings under. I'm excited for your new adventure.

Please feel free to ask questions. And, post photos of your journey. We love photos!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Hi- New to SFG from zone 5b (Columbus, OH) Empty Re: Hi- New to SFG from zone 5b (Columbus, OH)

Post  sfg4uKim 1/9/2015, 12:20 pm

glad you\'re here to the Forum.

I agree with sanderson. If you see the book in your local library, make sure it's the "All New" as this is even easier than Mel's original method.

Making use of the Search feature is great too. You can usually get an answer much quicker than having to wait for someone that knows the answer to log on.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Hi- New to SFG from zone 5b (Columbus, OH) WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 1/9/2015, 12:33 pm

Hi J Long.  Welcome from Atlanta, GA!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/9/2015, 4:20 pm

I think starting with Mels book All New Square Foot Gardening is the easiest and best place to start.  You will get all the fundamentals in one concise book and not stray in all different directions by the massive amount of info here on the forum. 

Also, if you don't want to grow seeds the way he describes in the book then look it up here in the white forum search box above, or just ask us.  But actually I would  suggest to forget growing indoors from seed, buy some transplants your first year to reduce stress, and ease into learning the square foot method and simply direct sow a few other things in the garden.  It's all suppose to be fun, right?

When I got started I didn't know the forum existed and simply went by the book. It's all I needed first time out and enjoyed a lot of success. That was over 4 years ago.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 1/10/2015, 11:40 am

Welcome J Long from another central Ohioan!  There is lots of info here, but I agree with LLama Mama about seed starting this year.  I actually don't do it at all because of time constraints and indoor cats.  Our first/last frost dates are May 15 and Oct 15 to give you an idea.  Weather dependent of course.  I will plant cool weather veggies; especially hardy greens like kale in early March if my boxes aren't frozen. 

Start small, especially if you have never grown veggies before.  Plant what you know you  and your family like as well as try one or two new ones.  That is how I discovered the joys of Swiss chard and kale.  I do keep a garden journal to record what is planted and when, yields of different varieties, (there are soooo many more than yo will ever see in a store),  what does well and what doesn't.  Gardening has many variables, and you can have a banner year of something one year and nada the next.

Ask lots of questions and search the forums.  Have fun and learn lots and we will all be here to celebrate your successes!
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 1/10/2015, 12:36 pm

Welcome J Long! +1 to everything everyone else has said so far and relax, have fun, be adventurous, and keep us informed as to successes, failures, d'oh's, and LOTS of pics if you can!
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  J Long 1/10/2015, 1:10 pm

Thank you.
I have space set from former not-so-successful gardens.  I have my box material, Mels's ANSFG, I have a 2'x3' bench space for starting plants and a 4' fluorescent (height adjustable) rigged up.

I'm planning on two- 4x4 boxes to start and maybe a 6x4.  In the past I have had most problems with pests- deer, squirrels, groundhogs, birds, chipmunks and rabbits.  I live close to the park system.

Shopping for deals on mix, starting materials, seed and ideas on critter barricades/ discouragement.

Thanks again
J Long
J Long

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 1/12/2015, 7:00 am

Welcome J Long from big Texas. glad you\'re here
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum