Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How long does compost take if you NEVER turn it? Toplef10How long does compost take if you NEVER turn it? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How long does compost take if you NEVER turn it? I22gcj10How long does compost take if you NEVER turn it? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How long does compost take if you NEVER turn it? Toplef10How long does compost take if you NEVER turn it? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How long does compost take if you NEVER turn it? I22gcj10How long does compost take if you NEVER turn it? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

How long does compost take if you NEVER turn it?

3 posters

Go down

How long does compost take if you NEVER turn it? Empty How long does compost take if you NEVER turn it?

Post  dk54321 11/4/2014, 11:16 pm

I've never been a fan of turning compost piles. It seems like interfering with the natural process. After all, it's the various life-forms in the pile that do the real work of decomposition. We humans have a tendency to get competitive about everything, even how fast our compost breaks down. And that's the real reason we've made composting so complicated—we assume faster is better.

I quit turning my piles a long time ago. I also started building them directly in my beds—I'm not a fan of hauling anything around unnecessarily. But when a bin gets full, even I get impatient. I'll let it sit over the winter, then I fork the newer layers on top into a new bin to get down to the black gold and start planting things in it.

It occurred to me that I could save myself even more with a little patience. When the bin is full, start a new one, but leave the stuff in the old bin until it fully decomposes. I started searching to find out how long that would take. It seems the idea never occurred to many composting enthusiasts, and fewer had tried it. I found estimates ranging from 1 year to 2 years to "several years".

Has anyone had the patience to fill a bin and wait until the whole thing had turned to humus? 

Some data points: I make my bins 4 feet high by the width of the bed (4 feet in the past, but lately I favor 3 foot beds). The "ideal" bin size is supposed to be somewhere between 3x3x3 and 5x5x5. I add kitchen scraps and shredded paper as they're generated throughout the year, plus a heaping helping of garden waste and autumn leaves at the end of the growing season. In Wisconsin winters, the pile freezes sometime in December, and stays mostly frozen until late March or early April. Still, the volume has decreased about 50% by May. Assuming I take 1 year to fill a bin, then let it stand, how long would it take to break down completely?
dk54321
dk54321

Back to top Go down

How long does compost take if you NEVER turn it? Empty Re: How long does compost take if you NEVER turn it?

Post  yolos 11/5/2014, 12:52 am

The length of time may depend somewhat on what you are putting in the pile.  For instance, I built a pile last fall.  Mostly shredded live oak leaves and grass.  I turned it every 2 weeks about four times.  Then I let it just sit until last weekend.  About 20% of the shredded live oak leaves were still recognizable.  Everything else was fully composted.  I believe that it would take about 2 years for the leaves to fully compost if you just let it sit.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

How long does compost take if you NEVER turn it? Empty Re: How long does compost take if you NEVER turn it?

Post  jimmy cee 11/5/2014, 8:30 am

Before I started SFG, my leaves, cut grass, pears, small garden stuff was set in a pile, just a pile nothing like a fence or other.
I would lay in together as the fall season passed, it would be all ready for screening the following July. I never turned it.

On a side  note turning compost to me is a pleasure, I especially enjoy the wonderful aromas coming from a working pile, also to see the steam arising on a cool (not frigid) day. It seems to give me the feeling that wood chips gives to Paul Gautschi.
I only wish I had more time to do it..
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum