Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Northeast PA Sq. Ft. Gardener here! Toplef10Northeast PA Sq. Ft. Gardener here! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Northeast PA Sq. Ft. Gardener here! I22gcj10Northeast PA Sq. Ft. Gardener here! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Northeast PA Sq. Ft. Gardener here! Toplef10Northeast PA Sq. Ft. Gardener here! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Northeast PA Sq. Ft. Gardener here! I22gcj10Northeast PA Sq. Ft. Gardener here! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Northeast PA Sq. Ft. Gardener here!

4 posters

Go down

Northeast PA Sq. Ft. Gardener here! Empty Northeast PA Sq. Ft. Gardener here!

Post  Leighfluver 5/2/2010, 3:02 pm

Northeast PA Sq. Ft. Gardener here! P1010426Northeast PA Sq. Ft. Gardener here! P1010421Northeast PA Sq. Ft. Gardener here! P1010423Northeast PA Sq. Ft. Gardener here! P1010422

Hey everyone! I am joining in the fun if ya'll don't mind! I took these pics today.

This is stage 3 of 4. You are looking at pictures of 3 years' worth of work.

The first year we added the bottom(meaning down the hill) 3 - 4x8 beds. I purchased a bunch of bags of hummus from Lowes and Home Depot and we amended with vermiculite and peat moss. It was A TON of work. I did the whole tarp thing and wow. I got some great muscles that day! Since then I have needed to amend each spring with extra dirt due to settling, decomposition, etc.

The next year I purchased a load of mushroom soil from a farmer. It was still hot, so it sat until I could put it in the boxes at the end of May. (I am in Zone 5a in Northeastern PA.) I amended with vermiculite only as the soil already had peat in it. My then 8 yo son learned how to use the spade and consequently, after he filled all my boxes, we ended up with a hole where to dirt sat. LOL!! Northeast PA Sq. Ft. Gardener here! Icon_rolleyes Northeast PA Sq. Ft. Gardener here! Icon_lol

THIS YEAR, you can see the newest 4x4 boxes that we added yesterday. I used plain old lumber studs from Home Depot (same with the rest of the boxes). I purchased bagged "garden soil" made by Miracle Grow, some organic and some not. The bag said it had peat already in it so I added vermiculite. I hope it has enough nutrients in it. We'll see. I will continue to posts pics as I go this year.

In the very first pic you will see my trellis setup. Eventually this year, each box will have its own trellis on the north side (side facing the farm and electric fence). I did it just like Mel said to do.

I am interested in seeing fenceposts used so grow melon, pumpkin and squash if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Well, let me know what ya'll think! Tips, tricks and compliments are always appreciated!

Someone said to me when I was buying all the bags of soil, "That's a LOT of dirt!" I replied, "Yup," with a GIGANTIC smile on my face! Gardening is my therapy.

Why do YOU garden? (so I can get to know you all!)
Leighfluver
Leighfluver

Female Posts : 28

Back to top Go down

Northeast PA Sq. Ft. Gardener here! Empty Re: Northeast PA Sq. Ft. Gardener here!

Post  Leighfluver 5/2/2010, 3:03 pm

Oh and I know there are no grids (YET). As the budget allows...
Leighfluver
Leighfluver

Back to top Go down

Northeast PA Sq. Ft. Gardener here! Empty Re: Northeast PA Sq. Ft. Gardener here!

Post  Ha-v-v 5/2/2010, 3:32 pm

Hi there !! I too garden for therapy ! My garden is my sanctuary. Im new to SFG this year, row gardener for about the last 3. I found this forum to be so full of fun ideas and friendly people.

Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  timcos 5/2/2010, 6:22 pm

What a great effort...shaping up well.
timcos

Back to top Go down

Post  Leighfluver 5/2/2010, 6:52 pm

Northeast PA Sq. Ft. Gardener here! GardenPlan2010a-1Northeast PA Sq. Ft. Gardener here! GardenPlan2010b

Oh! Let me show you my color-coded garden plan for this year as well! You will see in the scans that I have two horizontal 4x8 beds. I actually made a mistake drawing them and should have put them as 4x4 beds(the newest additions).

I would LOVE to see how potatoes grown in a garbage can work! I am nervous as our are ended up with BLIGHT last year! Any resources would be appreciated.
Leighfluver
Leighfluver

Back to top Go down

Post  Theresa 5/4/2010, 10:21 pm

WOW your gardens look great! A lot of work to get started, but worth it once done!
Your plans look great too! Can't wait to see it when it's all growing!
Theresa

FOUNDER SFG forum 2009

certified SFG instructor

Female Posts : 211

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down