Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Sprawling tomato vines - Fungus solution? Toplef10Sprawling tomato vines - Fungus solution? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Sprawling tomato vines - Fungus solution? I22gcj10Sprawling tomato vines - Fungus solution? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Sprawling tomato vines - Fungus solution? Toplef10Sprawling tomato vines - Fungus solution? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Sprawling tomato vines - Fungus solution? I22gcj10Sprawling tomato vines - Fungus solution? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Sprawling tomato vines - Fungus solution?

4 posters

Go down

Sprawling tomato vines - Fungus solution? Empty Sprawling tomato vines - Fungus solution?

Post  Windmere 8/5/2014, 1:22 pm

Over the past few weeks, I've noticed something very interesting about my tomato vines.  I have not posted any photos of my 4x4 beds because I'm too embarrassed about how I've let the plants do their own thing.  In the 4x4 beds, I haven't really staked my tomatoes well, so the beds look like an overgrown mess (well, cat's out of the bag on that now).  Overgrown mess or not, I'm getting some nice produce.  I figure that's all that matters in times of fungus distress.   Razz 

Here's what I've noticed:  The tomato plants that are horizontally sprawling, without fail, have long, long vines that are fungus free (they are pretty much growing on the grass).   I just came in from harvesting two heaping hand-fulls of tomatoes from those vines.  The central portions of these vines (the parts that are half-heartedly staked)  look like ground zero of a fungus bomb. 

The tomatoes that are well staked and growing vertically have fungus issues right up the the tips of new growth.  I wondered if the fact that some are different varieties made a difference.  However, two of my "non-staked" plants are the same as two of the vertically staked plants.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?  Is this just a fortunate coincidence?  Please tell me what you think and what you are experiencing.
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Sprawling tomato vines - Fungus solution? Empty Re: Sprawling tomato vines - Fungus solution?

Post  yolos 8/5/2014, 2:23 pm

Hmmmm ????  Strange.   thinking 

The spores blowing in are hitting the top of the plant first and not making it down to the bottom????? Not likely. thinking 

Ah, maybe the tops of the plants get heavy dew on them and therefore, the spores multiply but the lower branches are not getting as much dew.?????????? thinking 

Ah, the health of the bottom is better than the top because the branches are closer to the soil, water and nutrients and the low lying plants can therefore withstand the pressure of the disease better.  Or maybe they have formed roots along the stem where they are touching the ground. ???? thinking

Obviously I do not know what the heck I am talking about.  My fungus all starts at the bottom and all my tomatoes are staked or caged so I can't help in any meaningful way.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Sprawling tomato vines - Fungus solution? Empty Re: Sprawling tomato vines - Fungus solution?

Post  walshevak 8/5/2014, 2:30 pm

I'm going the the possibility of extra roots in the ground of the sprawling ones.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 8/5/2014, 2:45 pm

All very good theories yolos and walshevak.  Regardless... it kind'a makes me want to be lazy with next years vines.

I just checked the vines on the ground... no roots.  All on top of thick grass.

Ok... I'm reluctant to mention this because it's pretty experimental and I worry about touting in this forum.  I bought this super expensive stuff called "Zonix."  It's a biofungicide surfactant that I learned about in Organic Gardening.  I've sprayed all my vines with the stuff after rains.  I stopped bothering with it when I thought it was hopeless (the vertically staked vines).  I really didn't seriously think about this variable until I saw that the vines had no roots.

It may be that the stuff actually works.
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/5/2014, 2:51 pm

Fungus that affects tomato plants (blight) is from airborne spores. Perhaps the horizontal vines are getting less air than the vertical ones. That's my guess.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Sprawling tomato vines - Fungus solution? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum