Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Farmer's market prices Toplef10Farmer's market prices 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Farmer's market prices I22gcj10Farmer's market prices 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Farmer's market prices Toplef10Farmer's market prices 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Farmer's market prices I22gcj10Farmer's market prices 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Farmer's market prices

+9
manda99
66stitches
Kelejan
tagyourit
landarch
johnp
Marc Iverson
GWN
llama momma
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Farmer's market prices Empty Farmer's market prices

Post  llama momma 6/9/2014, 4:39 pm

Have you been to your local Farmers Market lately?
I thought it might be fun to talk about your local prices and taste comparison between things purchased from the market and from our back yards. 

I was surprised that amish grown strawberries were $6.00 for one quart.
The asparagus was $4.00 for a bunch. 

I tried both because it supported a local school and I wanted to see how the taste stacked up to mine.  Hands down, mine were better tasting  in both cases.  Cheers for square foot gardening.  Maybe its not fair to compare because we can eat our goodies just minutes from harvest, but still...
 Farmer's market prices 3170584802
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Farmer's market prices Empty Re: Farmer's market prices

Post  GWN 6/9/2014, 5:11 pm

Great topic LM
I have in fact opted to become a farmers marketeer.... 
I am going to make my booth mainly for the unique and different heirloom tomatoes

SO I will LOVE to know what the prices people find at the farmers Markets  affraid
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 6/10/2014, 2:42 am

llama momma wrote:Maybe its not fair to compare because we can eat our goodies just minutes from harvest, but still...
 Farmer's market prices 3170584802

I wouldn't be surprised if that made a significant difference, LM. Lots of things degrade in flavor very quickly when picked.

Re farmers market prices, the prices are generally at yuppie level here. Lots of veggies going for $4.00/pound and up, cheese closing in $20/pound, worms not sold at all except for a dilution of their poop with water, some mushrooms closing in on $30/pound and sometimes more, potted plants sometimes two or three times what you can get them for at a nursery three blocks away.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  johnp 6/10/2014, 8:48 am

I love going to farmers markets, we have one in one town on Tuesdays and one in another close town on Thursdays. We know a lot of the venders so it's a social event also. I usually buy something and there are some items we buy rather than grow.
johnp
johnp

Male Posts : 644

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/10/2014, 9:00 am

Interesting Marc
about the worm poop
the person who taught me initially about worms lives in Bandon (not far from you) and he has a big business (or at least used to) making worm casting tea)
He has this apparatus aerating the tea. and sold it in big jugs

HMMM wonder if it is the same guy.
The thing about buying at the market is that you can attempt to achieve the 100 mile diet, decreasing fossil fuel consumption, support local businesses and know you are getting something better
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 6/10/2014, 12:55 pm

I work about 3 blocks from a large farmers market (open on Wednesday and Saturday mornings)...I need to walk over tomorrow and check out the prices and post what I find.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 6/10/2014, 5:22 pm

GWN wrote:Interesting Marc
about the worm poop
the person who taught me initially about worms lives in Bandon (not far from you) and he has a big business (or at least used to) making worm casting tea)
He has this apparatus aerating the tea. and sold it in big jugs

HMMM wonder if it is the same guy.

It's a lady. There used to be a guy here in the farmers market who did the same thing. I don't think this lady aerates anything, but I can't be sure. I seem to recall seeing her mix the poop and water right on site. What the guy is doing sounds a lot more like compost tea than what this lady does.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  tagyourit 6/10/2014, 5:38 pm

The prices at our farmers market are really high.    When you look around it is all well off people walking around and it makes me sad that so many people can't afford to eat veggies.     We need to teach more urban gardening and get those prices down.
tagyourit
tagyourit

Female Posts : 48

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 6/10/2014, 6:06 pm

They take food stamps at our farmers market. But I wouldn't spend them there. People hard up for food aren't going to get much at $4.00 a pound.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/10/2014, 6:21 pm

Marc Iverson wrote:They take food stamps at our farmers market.  But I wouldn't spend them there.  People hard up for food aren't going to get much at $4.00 a pound.

Last year our Farmers' Market held on Saturdays gave out $10 family vouchers to the Food Bank and the vouchers had to be spent at the market.  The vouchers were given according to how much money was actually donated by our local residents.

Surprisingly, or not, there was only about a 50% redemption rate. Either the recipients were not spending the money on veggies, or the vendors were not cashing in. Or both. Maybe some people do not know what to do with raw veggies?

Here it is too early for local veggies but next week a regular greengrocer will come for the summer.  He does a really good trade and his prices are reasonable. He does not grow himself but purchases from the Okanagan growers. (The only desert area in Canada). 

If you are on food stamps there is no way you could afford organic.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  66stitches 6/10/2014, 10:24 pm

I love going to the farmers market but it's steep here too.

I live less than a block from our town square where the market is held. I had a visit from a friend last year who has an organic orchard in BC. Conversations with him and having young children led me to seek out organic produce, and with it so close I was really excited about getting as much as we could from the market and our local butcher, but things started to add up quickly. 

They were fun Saturday morning walks with my husband and 2 year old, but I could easily spend $60 getting local bread and produce, and I could see my husbands lips pursing by the time we got half way through at how much my new idea was costing. Hard to argue with healthier food though, so he never actually said anything.

But I got frustrated. It was clear there was some local produce, but I'm sure a lot of it came from the year-round tomato greenhouses nearby and lots of it was coming from a lot further. Only two stands with organic, and they only carried really obscure stuff I couldn't get my husband to eat. Our grocery store carries Ontario grown produce in the summer at better prices, and I couldn't figure out why I was spending more at the market for what appeared to be the same stuff. 

It is what led me to this forum and my new garden. I found a local organic farm and was going to buy a share, but again I was afraid a lot of it would be veggies I'd have a hard time getting everyone to eat. So I did my best to build my first 4x8 garden for less than that share (almost made it, but vermiculite!  Shocked ).

Anyway, I'm happier giving this a go. I can grow what we like, and supplement a bit from the market. I'm not going to fit a ton in this 4x8 but it's more than I thought! We'll still go up there for asparagus, blueberries, corn and Red Cat Bakery olive bread, but my dream of Saturdays morning walks to pick up all off our veggies and fruit wasn't meant to be.

(Sorry that was pretty wordy!)
66stitches
66stitches

Female Posts : 24

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/10/2014, 11:27 pm

You have least made a good start, 66stitiches, and it will get better the more you do it. It will be good for your family, too.   Smile
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  66stitches 6/10/2014, 11:42 pm

Thanks, Kelejan! 

Yes, it's a good start... I think! I'm going to post some pics tomorrow because I have a few questions about whether things are on the right track since I'm such a newbie. But, I have no doubt it's only a start. I'm already planning where I can put more beds next year!

Coming back to topic (sort of) though, I forgot to mention that my friend suggested seeking out the farms themselves, and I have found this to be a good option in a town surrounded by agriculture. If you're lucky enough to be in the same boat, getting to know these folks is great, often better prices than at the market, and they're more than happy to tell you what was picked that day or that the honeycrisp apples are the best they've ever been. Might be a bit more travel but I've found it to be lots of fun for me and for the kiddos... At least for the stuff you can't fit in your own garden.
66stitches
66stitches

Female Posts : 24

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 6/11/2014, 12:46 am

Introducing your kiddos to where their food comes from and how people may live very differently from the way you do sounds very worthwhile.

Money-wise, I couldn't justify doing the same thing because everything is so spread out here that the gas adds up too quickly. But if I had kids, I'd probably do what you're doing, too. Plenty of people in the world never get to see a farm, or an orchard, or a live chicken, or talk to the people who raise them.

Congrats on your new garden! SFG is a great way to start, and to shorten the learning curve by eliminating a lot of troublesome variables, like how to deal with native soil, for one. You'll learn fast, and the people here are very helpful. Don't forget to page back through the forums -- there are tons of great threads from yesteryear that will answer questions and inspire creative thinking and problem-solving. Welcome to the forums!

Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  manda99 6/11/2014, 9:33 am

We live a couple houses down from a local (urbanish) Farmers Market that's been going for over 30 years. I buy quite a few seedlings there in early spring. The prices are comparable to nurseries and the big hardware stores, but quality is better and it's right next to my garden. Smile It's usually $1.50 or so for small vegetable seedlings and up to $5 for larger tomato seedlings (foot high or so, in quart buckets). It works out well for me for plants that I only need to grown one of! 

I can't recall the specific food prices right now (I'll check on Saturday!), but it certainly isn't any higher than the very small Whole Foods down the street that's really our only other local option right now. 

I also buy a share in a local CSA. My first box arrives today and it's mostly the same stuff right now that I've already got in my SFG.  Laughing That's okay though - I like supporting local farms and eating yummy veggies! By summer and fall, their boxes will have a lot more variety that I can grow in my limited space.
manda99
manda99

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/11/2014, 11:03 am

manda99, it does not matter if you buy more than you want by using a local CSA as you can always preserve the stuff and use later in the  year.
Although I grow chard, kale and spinach, I like variety, so am happy to buy from our farmers' market in season as it is good value.  I always dehydrate greens that I have not been able to use before they have to go to compost. Still using them even now to add to soups. But I sure appreciate the fresh greens when they arrive.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 6/11/2014, 2:06 pm

Went to the local market over lunch and saw that bunches of beets, leeks, carrots, sweet peas were running around $3.  Asparagus $4.  Greens $2.  Herbs $1.  Cabbage $3.  Value depends on the size.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 6/11/2014, 10:41 pm

Here in Orange County it seems cheaper to go to Whole Foods than the local farmer markets.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 6/11/2014, 10:52 pm

Once we're talking Whole Foods, I think the concept of inexpensive is pretty much out the window.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/12/2014, 12:54 am

personally so far I have only sold plants, tomato and pepper plants. I checked the local stores and though they did not have heirlooms I priced just a little less then them.

Once my tomato plants start to produce I will be selling heirloom tomatoes... about 10 varieties.
It will be hard to know how to price, since none of the stores sell heirloom tomatoes
I wonder how people price things that are urique in some way
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 6/12/2014, 5:37 am

GWN
It will be hard to know how to price, since none of the stores sell heirloom tomatoes
I wonder how people price things that are urique in some way
GWN
At my farmers market booth  I went online to find prices for unique items like worm castings and llama beans.  Then took an average minus shipping as a starting point.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 6/12/2014, 9:54 am

Bonnie Plants is offering Heirloom tomatoes.  The little pot is $2.98 -on special 2 for $5.  The 4" pot is about $4.98.  This might give you an idea for the future. The Harris Teeter supermarket near my son offers Heirloom tomatoes, but I can't remember what the price was and there is not one in my town.  Anybody out there near a Harris Teeter?

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  grownsunshine 6/12/2014, 2:20 pm

No_Such_Reality wrote:Here in Orange County it seems cheaper to go to Whole Foods than the local farmer markets.
yeah, So Cal farmers markets are expensive!
grownsunshine

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 6/19/2014, 11:05 am

I buy items I don't grow as well as pick up my eggs and chicken/turkey CSA share.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  manda99 6/19/2014, 11:45 am

Marc Iverson wrote:Once we're talking Whole Foods, I think the concept of inexpensive is pretty much out the window.

My village is very landlocked and expensive anyway. So we have a very tiny WF, that is even more expensive (and limited stock) than most other Whole Foods. Actually, it's not even in our village, it's across the street. Wink And then our one other grocery store went out of business last year. Our walkable distance alternatives are very, very limited right now.

At the farmers market this weekend, it was $4 for a "bunch" of asparagus, $6 for a quart of strawberries, $4 for a pint of cherries.
manda99
manda99

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next