Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My SFG Garden gift for birthday and Father's Day Toplef10My SFG Garden gift for birthday and Father's Day 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My SFG Garden gift for birthday and Father's Day I22gcj10My SFG Garden gift for birthday and Father's Day 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My SFG Garden gift for birthday and Father's Day Toplef10My SFG Garden gift for birthday and Father's Day 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My SFG Garden gift for birthday and Father's Day I22gcj10My SFG Garden gift for birthday and Father's Day 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

My SFG Garden gift for birthday and Father's Day

5 posters

Go down

My SFG Garden gift for birthday and Father's Day Empty My SFG Garden gift for birthday and Father's Day

Post  sfgbeginner 6/8/2014, 12:36 pm

Attached is a picture of my new raised beds (they are ALL 2 x 8 x 8 so I can reach everything easily.  The two against the shed are in shade ALL of the time and the rest gets sufficient Sun (the picture shows them shaded by the house).  The two beds in the middle of the configuration are going to be dismantled.  The pallet in the front is going to the garbage heap ... all rotten.  I'm thinking of putting cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage and lettuces in the two near the shed, but I'm a little confused by the sfg method that says you can put ONE cabbage per square foot.  Seems like an awful lot to me.  I would like to see some of your sfg's from previous years all growed up that will show me it's ok to do this.  Thank you.

My SFG Garden gift for birthday and Father's Day 102_0413
sfgbeginner
sfgbeginner

Male Posts : 25

Back to top Go down

My SFG Garden gift for birthday and Father's Day Empty Re: My SFG Garden gift for birthday and Father's Day

Post  boffer 6/8/2014, 12:53 pm

Hey, your family came through on your presents!   My SFG Garden gift for birthday and Father's Day 3170584802 

This years cabbages at 1 per 1.5 ft2.  I've already harvested several 8-9 inch heads.

My SFG Garden gift for birthday and Father's Day Dscn4311

My SFG Garden gift for birthday and Father's Day Dscn4312

My SFG Garden gift for birthday and Father's Day Dscn4412
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

My SFG Garden gift for birthday and Father's Day Empty My SFG Garden gift for birthday and Father's Day

Post  sfgbeginner 6/8/2014, 1:14 pm

Thanks, Boffer .... that looks fantastic !!!!   I think I would put a maximum of 8 in an 8 foot long bed.   Very Happy
sfgbeginner
sfgbeginner

Back to top Go down

My SFG Garden gift for birthday and Father's Day Empty Re: My SFG Garden gift for birthday and Father's Day

Post  AtlantaMarie 6/8/2014, 1:31 pm

TRUST me!  Don't put more than 1/sq...!  Can you guess how I can tell you that with such certainty?   Wink
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sfgbeginner 6/8/2014, 1:47 pm

Atlanta Marie ... I think I can guess.  So SFGardening confuses me.  I just read where you can put 9 spinach plants per 1 sq foot.  This makes NO sense to me.  I planted spinach 1 per a square foot and it took up the whole square foot.  I had some that bolted and grew tall.  I am confused.
 Sad
sfgbeginner
sfgbeginner

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/8/2014, 2:58 pm

I think spinach at 9/sq is for cut and grow. ?? Like I can ever get spinach to germinate . .
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  nurzemjd 6/8/2014, 3:54 pm

Boffer, do you have red cabbage in there too?  I have harvested my 45 day green cabbage already with 1/sq, they did quite nicely.  The reds I did 1/ft also and they are enormous, but no head forming, they do take longer so I'm still hoping.
nurzemjd
nurzemjd

Female Posts : 72

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/8/2014, 4:51 pm

albino   albino  I answered in the current PNW thread so I can side-track the topic.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

My SFG Garden gift for birthday and Father's Day Empty OOPS !!!!!!

Post  sfgbeginner 6/8/2014, 5:13 pm

Noticed a design flaw in my new raised beds (my fault) .... they are only 20 inches wide inside, not 24 inches, and because of the 2x4 cap i had put on the outside, the opening width is about 16-17 inches.  Guess what?  They are still functional and are going to STAY that way.  I don't think that should make too much of a difference for anything.   Very Happy
sfgbeginner
sfgbeginner

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 6/8/2014, 5:16 pm

SFGBeginner - what kind of spinach was that???  I'd like to get some!

I'm trying it at 9/sq, but not having any luck so far...  And I really like raw spinach...!

I think it will really come down to the variety.  i.e. ANSFG2 says 1 okra/sq.  I've got 2 or 3 in each square.  We'll see.  I've grown it before.  It's tall but pretty skinny.  At least those were.

Have a neighbor who grew small cabbage several years ago - she called it a softball cabbage.  Those you could probably put 2/sq.  But haven't been able to find anything like that since.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/8/2014, 5:20 pm

sfgbeginner wrote:... So SFGardening confuses me.  I just read where you can put 9 spinach plants per 1 sq foot.  This makes NO sense to me.  I planted spinach 1 per a square foot and it took up the whole square foot.  I had some that bolted and grew tall.  I am confused.
 Sad

Most of SFG spacing is based on the 'thin to' spacing on the seed packages, using this formula:
Divide 12 by the 'thin to' number, then square that number.

I just looked at the packages of three different spinach cultivars.  All three listed the 'thin to' spacing as 4-6 inches

At 4 inches: 12/4=3   32= 9 per square
At 6 inches: 12/6=2   22= 4 per square

I usually plant at 9 per square.  Sometimes a few seeds won't germinate; if they all germinate I can always thin  a few and eat them.  But usually I'll let them all grow and harvest them 'cut and come again'.  The few plants that I've let get big enough to fill a square weren't good eating.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

My SFG Garden gift for birthday and Father's Day Empty Spinach

Post  sfgbeginner 6/8/2014, 5:28 pm

Atlanta Marie .... I have no idea what kind of spinach I planted.  I bought the plants from a garden store and threw away the tags.  Boffer .... that makes more sense to me now.  This entire SFG adventure for me is one big experiment (and will become even bigger once I plant the new beds I have).  I always have really good luck with leaf lettuces and tomatoes (I think even people with a black thumb could grow those).  Thanks both of you for your input.   Very Happy
sfgbeginner
sfgbeginner

Back to top Go down

Post  nurzemjd 6/8/2014, 8:01 pm

Thanks Boffer. Smile

You are so right SFGBeginner!  Let it be, it is all one big experiment and you will know better for next time.  I made some pretty big oopses myself last year (my 1st year), this year is going much better.  Keep on experimenting!!
nurzemjd
nurzemjd

Female Posts : 72

Back to top Go down

My SFG Garden gift for birthday and Father's Day Empty I would appreciate your suggestions

Post  sfgbeginner 6/8/2014, 8:49 pm

Since the actual opening on my new raised beds is 16-17 inches and not 24 inches like I thought it was going to be, I don't actually have 16 1-foot squares per 8 foot bed.  I have 20 inches of width underneath the top edge.  I wonder if it would be ok if I planted the back row of the bed with the stem of the plant close to the edge and I planted the front row of the bed with the stem of the plant close to the edge to make up for the design flaw in my beds?   Rolling Eyes
sfgbeginner
sfgbeginner

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/8/2014, 11:59 pm

It should be OK; precision is not a requirement of SFG! Hopefully the overhang won't become a cozy shelter for bugs.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 6/9/2014, 7:35 am

sfgbeginner wrote:Since the actual opening on my new raised beds is 16-17 inches and not 24 inches like I thought it was going to be, I don't actually have 16 1-foot squares per 8 foot bed.  I have 20 inches of width underneath the top edge.  I wonder if it would be ok if I planted the back row of the bed with the stem of the plant close to the edge and I planted the front row of the bed with the stem of the plant close to the edge to make up for the design flaw in my beds?   Rolling Eyes

That's what I do.  On some things (like the okra), I plant one in a back corner and another one catty-corner to it.  And I plant my tomatoes laying down towards the back edge to increase root development and ease of staking to the fence.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sfgbeginner 6/9/2014, 8:38 am

Boffer ....  I followed a video on youtube.com from OneYardRevolution, and in the video he states that you have to fill the bed with soil all the way to the top, specifically to prevent that from happening. Well .... the soil is being delivered around 3:30 or 4:00 PM today and the big experiment will begin.  I will post pictures of the progress.  Thanks for your help.   Very Happy
sfgbeginner
sfgbeginner

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down