Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
summer greens Toplef10summer greens 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

summer greens I22gcj10summer greens 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
summer greens Toplef10summer greens 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

summer greens I22gcj10summer greens 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

summer greens

+2
Marc Iverson
has55
6 posters

Go down

summer greens Empty summer greens

Post  has55 6/6/2014, 12:59 am

trying to find the names of greens that like the summer or can tolerate it here in texas, like purslane plant. can anyone share their ideas?

Austin
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

summer greens Empty Re: summer greens

Post  Marc Iverson 6/6/2014, 1:58 am

I'm trying to grow malabar spinach this year, which supposedly loves heat, growing naturally in the tropics and parts of Asia.

I've read that New Zealand spinach has a great flavor, and Territorial Seed's catalog recommends it for summer growing. However, one of Territorial's own people told me that New Zealand's summer weather is on the whole pretty much like mine, and NZ spinach might not do as well in our summers as I might hope.

So, malabar it is, and I hope to find more leafy greens. I'll be interested to see what others might suggest.

Oh also, perilla/red shiso is one I'm growing. It supposedly does well in the heat too. I've read it has a strong, but not bitter like arugula, flavor. The red is supposed to be the milder one. We'll see.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 6/6/2014, 6:50 am

Malibar spinach grows wild in the hot Philippines and did ok here in zone 8 NC.  I had trouble getting it started, but my neighbor had no trouble at all.  My neighbors kept their two containers in the garage over the winter and it leafed back out the next spring.  It was a fairly mild winter that year - down to below freezing but not for long. 

Chard can take the heat as can collards as a cut and come again.  I can keep kale going all through the summer and when fall came a light frost makes it taste even better.  All can take a mild winter - upper 20s and leaf back out early in the spring while you are waiting for your new crop to get big enough to eat.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  GloriaG 6/6/2014, 6:55 pm

Hi Austin,

If you want to run by I can give you some Red Malabar spinach transplants and some New Zealand spinach transplants.  Both are self-seeding, so once they're in they come back every year. 

I also have some mache-verte d'etampes which grows perennially.  I can give you a clump if we can get it up or some seeds if not.

Gloria
GloriaG

Female Posts : 440

http://www.laketrailstudio.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 6/7/2014, 1:24 am

Kay reminded me -- I got, from Territorial Seeds, something called "perpetual chard" that is supposed to be able to go year-round. I've got less than a dozen in the ground now, but am going to germinate and plant more every month in an attempt to turn it into a reliable summer and over-wintering leaf crop.

I've tasted some really bitter summer chard before, so I hope this kind doesn't just survive, but also tastes good.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 6/7/2014, 6:44 am

GloriaG wrote:Hi Austin,

If you want to run by I can give you some Red Malabar spinach transplants and some New Zealand spinach transplants.  Both are self-seeding, so once they're in they come back every year. 

I also have some mache-verte d'etampes which grows perennially.  I can give you a clump if we can get it up or some seeds if not.

Gloria
thank you Gloria. I'll do that next week when I'm back in town. I forgot to mention I'm doing fine with swiss chard. I will try kale and the ones suggested here. Gloria, how are your malabar and New Zealand spinach doing? did you plant any last year?
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 6/7/2014, 11:49 am

thanks everyone for your input.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  GloriaG 6/7/2014, 12:37 pm

Here's the Red Malabar spinach trellises at the end of the season last year when it was starting to go to seed. This year's crop is about 8" tall so it's just grabbing onto the trellises.

summer greens Malaba10
GloriaG

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 6/7/2014, 2:55 pm

Wow, Gloria, that looks wonderful. Do you find it tends to germinate and grow later in the season? Mine being so reluctant and all ... maybe our nights in the 50's are still too early, even though are days are nearing 90? What's your experience on that, and do you have any general growing tips? Red malabar is the same type I have.

More questions:

1. Also, yours are so full ... do the plants stay so lush if you pick them regularly, or do they quickly become a bunch of stringy, empty vines?

2. Do you "top" them by clipping off the lead vine, if there is one? Or just let it grow as much as it likes?

3. How many plants are there in your picture? How far do you think they should be spaced for best productivity, including if you don't really care how it looks?
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  nurzemjd 6/7/2014, 4:07 pm

Thank you for posting this!  I did not know you could get spinach to grow up a trellis like that.  We love fresh spinach, but never seem to have enough, getting it to grow up may just be the ticket!!
nurzemjd
nurzemjd

Female Posts : 72

Back to top Go down

Post  GloriaG 6/7/2014, 4:45 pm

Hi Marc and nurzemjd,

Here's a little info about Red Malabar spinach.

First - basella rubra, aka Red Malabar spinach  not a "true" spinach.  It is a vining plant from Asia and Africa.  For those who haven't tried it, both the leaves and young stems are great in salads, or cooked.  It has a mild flavor that's a little different than regular spinach.  We like it in quiche in lieu of regular spinach. 

It LOVES hot weather and only starts coming up in our area in late May when temperatures reach the high 80's.  Night temps of 50 will slow it's growth so perhaps you could cover in the evenings if you want faster production.  In the fall, it "dies back" to the ground, but comes up from dropped seed again the next year.  I planted the original plant on those trellises in 2010.  It survives our 14 degree winters just fine. 

The photo I posted shows 4 plants - two on each of the trellises. My trellises are about 20" wide with one plant on each edge of the trellis, so I guess that's OK spacing. 

I trim it regularly for salads starting as soon as there are 6 leaves.  To trim when it's larger, I cut small tender leaves plus about 2-3 feet off the ends of the vines about once a week. Trimming makes the plants more manageable and does not make the stems appear empty and stringy.  BTW this is a branching vine so it doesn't really have a "lead" vine. 

It seems to like a lot of water - perhaps because the stems are so succulent. But other than than, I don't do anything special for it.  It's really one of the lowest maintenance plants in my garden - I don't have to plant seed and can pick standing up - yeah!!!

Hope this helps,
Gloria
GloriaG

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/7/2014, 4:55 pm

Gloria, you've convinced me to try them next year! I think I'll try a pot in my greenhouse and some outside.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 6/8/2014, 1:44 am

GloriaG wrote:
It seems to like a lot of water - perhaps because the stems are so succulent. But other than than, I don't do anything special for it.  It's really one of the lowest maintenance plants in my garden - I don't have to plant seed and can pick standing up - yeah!!!

Hope this helps,
Gloria

Absolutely! Thanks a ton. Plus, the low-maintenance aspect of it makes it sound all the better.

I'll definitely replant some seed once the nights get a little warmer.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 6/8/2014, 11:13 am

Marc Iverson wrote:
GloriaG wrote:

Hope this helps,
Gloria

Absolutely!  Thanks a ton.  Plus, the low-maintenance aspect of it makes it sound all the better.  

I'll definitely replant some seed once the nights get a little warmer.
+1 on the water.  In the Philippines they grow this next to a boggy area or a ditch bank.  

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content