Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
2014 Tomatoes - Page 3 Toplef102014 Tomatoes - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

2014 Tomatoes - Page 3 I22gcj102014 Tomatoes - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
2014 Tomatoes - Page 3 Toplef102014 Tomatoes - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

2014 Tomatoes - Page 3 I22gcj102014 Tomatoes - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

2014 Tomatoes

+23
s1rGr1nG0
CapeCoddess
tagyourit
herblover
manda99
AtlantaMarie
Marc Iverson
68carguy
dvelten
kensadams
kamigh
grownsunshine
walshevak
Paintedlady
Judy McConnell
llama momma
sanderson
TxGramma
Turan
yolos
kauairosina
Goosegirl
jmsieglaff
27 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

2014 Tomatoes - Page 3 Empty Re: 2014 Tomatoes

Post  Judy McConnell 9/16/2014, 7:47 am

My last report was in July and now it's mid Sept and things have changed a bit.

Black Krim (P) recovered from it's leaf diseases and is producing a few more  fruit.

The yellow pear (P) is still going great guns - few leaves, but continuing to flower.

What I had been calling Big Boy - really is Better Boy (S) (finally crawled under the vines to read the tags) this variety has been my best producer and is still going great with 6-8 fruit each day.

The Celebrity(4)(B), Patio (B)(4),Rutgers (2) (P)- none of these did well (only a few fruit) and have been pulled. Most of these were indeterminate so lived their lives.

Black Cherry (P)and SunGlow (P) limped along and won't be tried again.

(P)= 5 gal bucket; (S) in garden soil; (B) in raised bed

Something about the dark skinned fruit turned me off - tomatoes are supposed to be red or yellow to these old eyes.

So -- next year?  Definitely will have Better Boy (or BB F1); unknown orange (saved seeds from store-bought tomato salad fruit mixture) ; Yellow pear; San Mar.... for sauce; and a tomato that I haven't tried before (still choosing variety) - any suggestions??
Judy McConnell
Judy McConnell

Female Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 9/16/2014, 8:08 am

Judy McConnell wrote:My last report was in July and now it's mid Sept and things have changed a bit.

Black Krim (P) recovered from it's leaf diseases and is producing a few more  fruit.

The yellow pear (P) is still going great guns - few leaves, but continuing to flower.

What I had been calling Big Boy - really is Better Boy (S) (finally crawled under the vines to read the tags) this variety has been my best producer and is still going great with 6-8 fruit each day.

The Celebrity(4)(B), Patio (B)(4),Rutgers (2) (P)- none of these did well (only a few fruit) and have been pulled. Most of these were indeterminate so lived their lives.

Black Cherry (P)and SunGlow (P) limped along and won't be tried again.

(P)= 5 gal bucket; (S) in garden soil; (B) in raised bed

Something about the dark skinned fruit turned me off - tomatoes are supposed to be red or yellow to these old eyes.

So -- next year?  Definitely will have Better Boy (or BB F1); unknown orange (saved seeds from store-bought tomato salad fruit mixture) ; Yellow pear; San Mar.... for sauce; and a tomato that I haven't tried before (still choosing variety) - any suggestions??
Hi Judy.  You mentioned you saved seeds from an orange variety.  This year I planted Sungold tomatoes and they are amazing.  They are sweet as candy, they are prolific producers and they were my most disease resistant.  They are also an F1 hybrid, so I cannot plant from seeds I harvest myself...  they will not produce the same plant.

I only mention this because you said you don't know the variety of your orange tomato seeds.  Just one more thing:  My wife is so in love with Sungolds that she said she would be happy if that's all I plant next year.
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  Judy McConnell 9/16/2014, 9:16 am

Opps, forgot.   After you all raved about Sun Gold, I did buy a plant at nursery to try it.  Was a great taste and I picked them right off the vine to eat.

The "unknown Orange" (saved seeds) is about 1 -1 1/2" round and I couldn't find anything like it in on-line catalogs (some similar but NOT the same). Assume it is hybrid but will see what the seeds produce next spring.
Judy McConnell
Judy McConnell

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 9/16/2014, 10:52 am

Bakers Creek is selling seed for an open pollinated SunGold tomato.  That means some one started with the hybrid and planted a lot of its seeds, selected from those plants for the one with the Sungold characteristics, planted seeds from those plants and then reselected etc.  I am told it usually takes 7 generations to stabilize into the OP variety.

I bought a Sungold plant this year as well.  We have been eating them off the vine like grapes all summer.  Right now I have a tray of them drying into tomato raisins.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2616

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/16/2014, 12:13 pm

Windmere wrote:  This year I planted Sungold tomatoes and they are amazing.  They are sweet as candy, they are prolific producers and they were my most disease resistant.  They are also an F1 hybrid, so I cannot plant from seeds I harvest myself...  they will not produce the same plant.

I only mention this because you said you don't know the variety of your orange tomato seeds.  Just one more thing:  My wife is so in love with Sungolds that she said she would be happy if that's all I plant next year.
I saved seeds from my original Sungolds and they've come true for 2 yrs now.  But they don't do well from suckers - too small.

Lyndeeloo, can we get an update on the results of your listed tomatoes when you get a chance please? 

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 9/16/2014, 12:18 pm

Judy McConnell wrote:Opps, forgot.   After you all raved about Sun Gold, I did buy a plant at nursery to try it.  Was a great taste and I picked them right off the vine to eat.

The "unknown Orange" (saved seeds) is about 1 -1 1/2" round and I couldn't find anything like it in on-line catalogs (some similar but NOT the same). Assume it is hybrid but will see what the seeds produce next spring.

Could your unknown orange be a yellow that was left on the vine till orange? I've done that with my jubilees, which are largish yellows that eventually go a very pretty solid orange, at which point they are perfectly ripe. And not all my large tomatoes turn out to be large ...

Blond Kopfchen comes to mind as a yellow that I think is supposed to be about that size ... just speculatin'....
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Judy McConnell 9/16/2014, 12:43 pm

No, Marc - don't think it is a Blond Kopfchen (the BK 'tis a bit smaller).  The yellow was ripe and came in a box of mixed smaller tomatoes (everything from a black cherry to sun golds).
Judy McConnell
Judy McConnell

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 9/16/2014, 2:40 pm

My tomato plants are all getting blighted but still producing well; slowed down the last few days due to cooler weather though.
Black Krim- 8 fruit
Herb's Rose -5
Dixie Golden Giant-17
yellow Pear-190
Sugar Lump cherry-1,226

We still have a month til our average first frost date and I have usually kept my plants going til about the end of October so still have 4-6 weeks of production before I pull them up.  I will pick everything on the vines to ripen inside at that point.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/16/2014, 2:43 pm

herblover, what's your take on the flavor of the Black Krim?  I'm considering them for next year...

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 9/17/2014, 1:55 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:herblover, what's your take on the flavor of the Black Krim?  I'm considering them for next year...

CC
I really like them; a bit of a smoky, more robust flavor and adds a great depth of flavor and color when mixed with other varities.  I made a batch of no-cook herbed pasta sauce combining Black Krim, Dixie Golden Giant and Herb's Rose tomatoes which is beautiful to look at.  Hope it tastes good because it is in the freezer for a cold winter day when I need a taste of August!
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 9/17/2014, 7:14 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:herblover, what's your take on the flavor of the Black Krim?  I'm considering them for next year...

CC

I enjoyed the Black Krim over the Cherokee Purple so will plant it again next year.  I also enjoyed the Hillbilly as it is both large and very productive.
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 9/17/2014, 7:55 pm

The pictures I've seen of Hillbilly's inside when cut open horizontally made it look beautiful, like it would be a real stunner on the plate.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndeeloo 9/18/2014, 10:36 am

Hi CC! Its really interesting reading about everyone's results this year.
Here's my update
This years' tomato experiment could be called
"The good, the bad and the ugly"

the good
My winner again this year is the Beefmaster. I saved and planted the seeds from last years' crop and once again they are delicious, prolific and ranged from large to huge. The plants look the best of all the tomato plants and they did well considering what a disappointing year I had for tomatoes. The Brandywine, mortgage lifter, black krim and german queen plants fought for their lives and gave us a few tomatoes each. While all tasted good the German Queen was the stand out of those four. The black cherry did ok and tasted great once we figured out when to pick them. One problem I ran into this year was with all the different colors of tomatoes and determining when to pick them. Initially we left some of them on the vine too long and the flavor suffered. Once we figured out what was "ripe" for each variety we had better results.

the bad
The heirlooms as a rule did poorly, but the Bloody butcher, purple calabash, cosmonaut volkov and hillbilly plants each wilted, shriveled and died almost immediately. I bought all four of them from the same nursery and I don't think I would buy there again. Whatever problem they had affected many of the other tomato plants in my garden. Even with careful watering many of the plants appeared wilted and had difficulty thriving. The orange wellington did poorly, but I had given my neighbor several plants and his did very well and he was kind enough to share.

the ugly
The Malinowy Olbrzym, Polish Pink Raspberry Tomato, tasted really, really good (no raspberry flavor, the name must come from the color and the ribbed shape) but the plant was wilted most of the time and the tomatoes were misshapen. The 2 plants were pretty prolific and the pink tomatoes tended to be on the large size. A definite keeper.

2014 Tomatoes - Page 3 20140910
2014 Tomatoes - Page 3 14110410
I've fermented and dried the seeds from the tomatoes that we liked best as well as the 10 or so varieties we brought home from the tomato festival. Looking forward to next year already!
lyndeeloo
lyndeeloo

Female Posts : 433

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 9/18/2014, 1:32 pm

Thank you all for hte indepth results. 
What are peoples favorites for sauce types?  Gilberti is still on my 'to try' list.  Any others people recommend?  My family prefers paste/sauce tomatoes and is not into big slicers at all (they tend to be left on the counter until I toss them into dinner).

My results so far~

Oroma, it made lots of smallish Roma type tomatoes.  It was not as well protected in the cold frame so I picked them all green at the big frost last week.  They are not exciting tomatoes.  Definitely for sauce but even cooked sorta bland.  I am not bothering again with determinate tomatoes.  I grew these from seed.

Sunsugar, a golden cherry that is identical to the SunGold as far as I can tell.  Big happy plant covered with fruity, sweet little tomatoes.  My 6yo niece adores them (and multicolored carrots).  I am drying a bunch as tomato raisins, they should be delicious in biryani this winter.  Next batch I dry is going to be cut in half, it takes for ever to dry them whole.  Bought at a local nursery.

Stupice, the first ripe tomato every year and steadily produces all summer.  A real trooper.  Better flavor than Oroma but not spectacular.  Before I had a greenhouse I grew these outside and they did well enough.  They have good cold handling ability but the flavor suffers then.  Bought at a local nursery.

Celebrity, yeah ok a big tomato.  Not as flavorful as Big Beef in my memory and definitely not as productive.  It is a in between determinate and indeterminate tomato.  But it was a last moment fill in and fine so I am pleased but not planning to repeat.  Bought at a local nursery.

Cherokee Purple, the only big slicer tomato my family gets excited about.  We like them roasted as well as sliced.  Not a tall plant and produces on the early side and then has a second flush before fall.  Bought at a local nursery.

Black Icicle, this is an indeterminate black (actually mahogany) paste tomato.  Good flavor and lots of them.  We can not tell them apart form the red paste tomatoes except by color.  They always look like they are feeling sad and limp and yet keep growing through the roof and dripping with fruit.  I think they just are that way.  I grew them from seed.

Cuorie Di Bue, big Italian oxheart paste tomato.  I have trouble getting my family to recognize that it is a paste tomato even though it is so big.  They are prejudiced against anything not long.  Good flavor and produced well and has lots more ripening yet.  Last year these were ripening in boxes until Christmas.  This year I got them started earlier.  Most of them get roasted and canned as sauce/paste.  Started from seed.

Striped Roman, family favorite.  Prolific, tasty, versatile.  Definite sauce/paste tomato and we love them in salad or on sandwiches or fried on a tortillas.

After trying out some closer spacing the last couple years I went back to 2'x2' spacings but 2 plants per block planted in line with each other.  That way I could reach all sides easier.  This year I tried out all twine and no cages (except the Sun Sugar).  It worked really well and was part of making it much easier to work around the plants.  The twine tied plants can move aside a bit for reaching to the back corner.  Cleaning them all out should be so easy too.  I am still not into a lot of pruning but did do some.  Every plant was at least 2 leaders some got up to four...... Shocked 

Right now I am running a space heater at night in the greenhouse and then opening the doors during the day.  We will see how long this lasts.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2616

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 9/19/2014, 6:31 am

the bad
The heirlooms as a rule did poorly, but the Bloody butcher, purple calabash, cosmonaut volkov and hillbilly plants each wilted, shriveled and died almost immediately. I bought all four of them from the same nursery and I don't think I would buy there again. Whatever problem they had affected many of the other tomato plants in my garden. Even with careful watering many of the plants appeared wilted and had difficulty thriving. The orange wellington did poorly, but I had given my neighbor several plants and his did very well and he was kind enough to share

The only one of that group I grew was the Hillbilly. I like to try new varieties to see what is out there as there are some many types but my wife favors the bi-color ones so I moved from Mr. Stripey to Hillbilly.  This plant turned out to be both prolific and bearing 8 - 16 oz. toms and we had so many my wife made sauce out of most of them.

Sorry to hear so many of your heirlooms wilted on you.  I lost several of mine last year as I wanted to put them in the garden ASAP but a cold snap damaged them and most never recovered so I wait till after Memorial Day to plant them and they all did very well this year.
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndeeloo 9/20/2014, 6:51 am

Thanks for the sympathy floyd and I think you are right about the cold. The nursery had the plants outside so I figured I could plant them. It was a cold spring! Seems a lot of people had poor results with tomatoes this year. I will try the Hillbilly tomatoes next year and see how they do.

Thanks for the update Turan. I am especially interested in your results with the paste tomatoes.  My garden is really lacking in that area. I will be looking for the striped romans , black icicle and cuorie di bue for next year.
lyndeeloo
lyndeeloo

Female Posts : 433

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum