Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Finaly some before and after pics Toplef10Finaly some before and after pics 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Finaly some before and after pics I22gcj10Finaly some before and after pics 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Finaly some before and after pics Toplef10Finaly some before and after pics 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Finaly some before and after pics I22gcj10Finaly some before and after pics 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Finaly some before and after pics

+3
quiltbea
Rahab222
Eric Lingo
7 posters

Go down

Finaly some before and after pics Empty Finaly some before and after pics

Post  Eric Lingo 5/26/2014, 8:55 pm

finaly got my beds set up and planted here are some pics. here is the beforeFinaly some before and after pics Tins_r12

and the afterFinaly some before and after pics 00210

Last edited by Eric Lingo on 5/26/2014, 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eric Lingo
Eric Lingo

Male Posts : 76

Back to top Go down

Finaly some before and after pics Empty starting out

Post  Eric Lingo 5/26/2014, 8:59 pm

so the deal on those beds..the 3 in the middle are mine..4x4 MM and all as you can see.
My Father doesn't think it will do well or produce as much as his beds..so he is doing 6 4x8 local soil and all, so we are doing a little compition..where I get to do all the work I almost single handedly tiled leveled and set up all those by myself my dad did help with the framing but that was it, my wife helped with the deweeding as much can be done so here is hoping they all do well mine and his cause I want some veggies atleast that's what my Doctor and dietician says..
Eric Lingo
Eric Lingo

Back to top Go down

Finaly some before and after pics Empty starting out

Post  Eric Lingo 5/26/2014, 9:01 pm

oh and notes to add...the tree you see in the first pic is a key lime tree..that really didn't like our week of 105-110 temps

the other tree is a peach tree which really didn't like our week long near hurricane speeds winds. so we have it propped up and such atm. those same winds blew down about 10 trees in my neighborhood including ours in our front yard.
Eric Lingo
Eric Lingo

Back to top Go down

Finaly some before and after pics Empty Before and After

Post  Rahab222 5/26/2014, 10:34 pm

WOW!  Awesome job!  Looks like you're serious about this!  Good luck!
Rahab222
Rahab222

Back to top Go down

Finaly some before and after pics Empty Re: Finaly some before and after pics

Post  quiltbea 5/26/2014, 11:21 pm

I love your brick walkways.  A great way to keep down the weeds.  I hope your beds are over soil so the roots can burrow deeper if they need to do so.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Lingo 5/26/2014, 11:59 pm

the 4x4 beds are 6in..deep used 2x6 pieces of wood..not planting thing to deep for those I do have booster boxes for deeper rooted plants for later..like carrots and some of deeper/larger plants will be going in the 4x8 natural soil and not the mel mix beds I put a sheet of weed cloth down the entire length of the 4x4 sections 6ft wide so it will even cover parts of the path way. and thank you about the pathways they were on sale at homedepot for 80c a pop and my dad kinda went nuts and order 350 of them and omg moving them from the front yard to the back yard was not fun in the slightest
Eric Lingo
Eric Lingo

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/27/2014, 2:34 am

Eric,  I love the before and after photos of what you have accomplished.   Finaly some before and after pics 3170584802  The brick walkway in your SFG area should be weed free for a while since you put weed fabric under the pavers.  If you put weed fabric under the rest of the brick you still have to lay, I think it will help with weed control.  ??

I have another little suggestion for your HOT weather. [ We're around 100*F right now and dreading the 110*F heat waves we get every year]  Add a thick layer of mulch!!  If  the beds are constructed with 2" x 6", it means the MM can only be a max 5 1/2" high.  You may want to add a 2" x 2"  ( or 2" x 4") second layer so the MM can be a true 6" deep and still have room to pile on the moisture retention mulch.  You can also construct portable "top hats" for squares of longer root veggies like carrots, potatoes or parsnips.
Finaly some before and after pics Top_ha16

The competition is on!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 5/27/2014, 7:04 am

Eric, it looks fantastic!  And I think your dad will be very pleasantly surprised... :-)

Please keep us updated w/ photos!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5601

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Lingo 5/27/2014, 9:45 am

ya I have a couple riser frames made but sadly I ran out of MM to fill them up aswell I barely had enough for the 3 4x4 I do have. so probably wont plant any deeper rooted stuff till fall. @sanderson what is that white thing in your bed? looks like pipping with a cap on it
Eric Lingo
Eric Lingo

Back to top Go down

Post  tagyourit 5/27/2014, 10:58 am

We will be moving in a year or so and I just showed my husband your after picture as what I want for my new beds when the move happens.   That has been the hardest part about choosing to move in the near future......leaving my beds!!!!!
tagyourit
tagyourit

Female Posts : 48

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Lingo 5/27/2014, 1:36 pm

doing the paving stones isn't to hard but annoying..trying to keep them and everything level and if you wana go all out just weed cloth everything and lay down the stones and beds

what we had to do since it was all done by hand and my self was level..laydown everything make sure its level to each other then pick them up everything laydown the cloth then lay the bricks and frames out again.

we only did the center 4x4 row of 3 frames the 4x8 frames and the rest of the walk ways are not weed clothed.

I honestly wanted to get 8ft wide cloth and do that but the funds wasn't there cause the price jumps from 6ft wide to 8ft wide
Eric Lingo
Eric Lingo

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/27/2014, 2:29 pm

Eric Lingo wrote:ya I have a couple riser frames made but sadly I ran out of MM to fill them up as well I barely had enough for the 3 4x4 I do have. so probably wont plant any deeper rooted stuff till fall. @sanderson what is that white thing in your bed? looks like pipping with a cap on it

The white thing is a worm tube. Several of us have them. The cap comes off to feed the worms or collect the worm castings. Do a Search for Worm Tube, posted by Josh.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 5/27/2014, 4:19 pm

It was worth the work, Eric, considering how pretty and neat it looks now. Unless there's something special about your soil preventing it, I would expect soil subsidence over time underneath the bricks, which could make things less than level and look not as good over time. Sometimes it's pretty hard to get a sagging spot clear of bricks to bolster it with more soil. I guess you'll have to figure that out one way or the other. It's another good reason for getting hardware cloth and weed barrier underneath your beds.

Regardless, it will still be less work and look better than most alternatives -- mulch would break down and have to be replaced, grass would be hard to keep short between the boxes, etc.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Lingo 5/27/2014, 5:51 pm

ok have been reading a lot about these worm tubes and they sound fantastic. I wanting to adopt Josh he is amazing gardner
now question on the SFG with the worm tube I have weedcloth down from what I understand that's ok just anchor the tube like with rebar so they don't fall over or get blown over cause here in santa ana we get some narly winds. clear the MM put the tub down put eh MM back around the tube put damp peat moss down in the bottom then add your worms then add your scraps..what about carbon pieces paper sracps cardboard leaves that kinda stuffs and what is the best worm we are looking to get in there I will have to buy some worms to drop in. any other ideas comments sugestions?
Eric Lingo
Eric Lingo

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/27/2014, 11:52 pm

Eric, As you can see in the photo, my tubes are short, so the wind can't knock them over. They are only 9" tall, with 1/4" drilled holes below the top of the 6" of MM. There's just enough head room for mulch and the cap. The worms are usually eisenia fetida, the small red wiggler that eats the organisms in decomposing kitchen trimmings. No carbon added. Three of my tubes are set on weed fabric, the 4th is open bottomed, but that on is another story. The MM never freezes here in Fresno, CA, so they can survive winter.

Check your local Craig's List for a local worm person. Or order online.

Search for "1,000 worms on their way"
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down