Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Looks like I lost them all then replanted  2nd time Toplef10Looks like I lost them all then replanted  2nd time 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Looks like I lost them all then replanted  2nd time I22gcj10Looks like I lost them all then replanted  2nd time 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Looks like I lost them all then replanted  2nd time Toplef10Looks like I lost them all then replanted  2nd time 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Looks like I lost them all then replanted  2nd time I22gcj10Looks like I lost them all then replanted  2nd time 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Square Foot Gardening Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 5:40 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Today at 5:23 pm

» Anyone know about growing plumeria ?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Today at 1:54 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 1:47 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by sanderson Today at 1:45 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by sanderson Today at 1:42 pm

» Memorial Day
by sanderson Today at 1:00 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 1:23 pm

» Tomatoes not having growth
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/25/2024, 11:28 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/25/2024, 9:54 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 5/25/2024, 5:35 pm

» Spring Flowers
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/25/2024, 10:47 am

» Dealing with Critters in Garden
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/24/2024, 12:15 am

» Can I sew row cover material?
by ktomchik 5/23/2024, 9:49 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/23/2024, 8:15 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker 5/21/2024, 6:41 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/18/2024, 7:02 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Looks like I lost them all then replanted 2nd time

+12
floyd1440
camprn
Cajunsmoke14
Pollinator
Marc Iverson
AtlantaMarie
lyndeeloo
quiltbea
Judy McConnell
walshevak
Jmichelle
johnp
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Looks like I lost them all then replanted  2nd time Empty Looks like I lost them all then replanted 2nd time

Post  johnp 5/9/2014, 10:29 am

Every weather repot, including local, said the temp. last night would be between 38 and 41 degrees, but look out for Sunday when the big storm comes in. I didn't see the need to cover as it was pretty normal for this time of year. I got up a 4:00 and the temp. was 31.6 and by 6:00 am it was 28.8 in the open greenhouse. The nearest town reported 38 degrees. I looked and it doesn't look good. All my tomatoes, tomatillo's and eggplant may be gone. I'll wait until it gets warmer and go see if anything perks up. It just makes me sick because if the weather people could report a freeze I would of covered everything. I know I planted a week early but with the new knee I am very slow and  was trying to pace along the planting process. I will wait until the next storm is over and start planting the peppers and such along with what I can find to replace the tomatoes. I had several almost extinct hybrids that I was really looking forward to seeing how they would do in the heat and dry conditions.  Sad


Last edited by camprn on 5/20/2014, 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : corrected title)
johnp
johnp

Male Posts : 644
Join date : 2013-01-05
Age : 78
Location : high desert, Penrose CO

Back to top Go down

Looks like I lost them all then replanted  2nd time Empty awwww...

Post  Jmichelle 5/9/2014, 10:39 am

...Darn!
Jmichelle
Jmichelle

Female Posts : 28
Join date : 2014-04-23
Age : 53
Location : Green Country/North East Oklahoma/Zone 7a

Back to top Go down

Looks like I lost them all then replanted  2nd time Empty Re: Looks like I lost them all then replanted 2nd time

Post  walshevak 5/9/2014, 1:55 pm

what hybrids were they johnp?  Do you have enough seed to try again next year or even see if you can get one late plant this year?

Kay

____________________________

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
avatar
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374
Join date : 2010-10-17
Age : 81
Location : wilmington, nc zone 8

Back to top Go down

Looks like I lost them all then replanted  2nd time Empty Re: Looks like I lost them all then replanted 2nd time

Post  johnp 5/9/2014, 3:59 pm

Yes they are all gone, maybe one tomato survived. When I wrote this morning I was so upset that I wrote hybrid when I meant heirloom. Thirty six tomatoes, 6 tomatillo's, four ground cherries and eight eggplant. I still have some spares that I always keep which include the two heirlooms, Cosmonaut Volkov from Ukraine and umberto which was almost extinct. Going shopping tomorrow for plants which will go in the ground way after this next storm Sunday that is supposed to bring snow and 25 degrees. Glad I waited on the peppers, cuc's and squash.
johnp
johnp

Male Posts : 644
Join date : 2013-01-05
Age : 78
Location : high desert, Penrose CO

Back to top Go down

Looks like I lost them all then replanted  2nd time Empty Re: Looks like I lost them all then replanted 2nd time

Post  Judy McConnell 5/9/2014, 4:13 pm

Oh John -  This sucks rotten tomatoes Mad   So sorry that this happened to you.
Judy McConnell
Judy McConnell

Female Posts : 440
Join date : 2012-05-08
Age : 83
Location : Manassas, VA(7a) and Riner, VA (7a)

Back to top Go down

Looks like I lost them all then replanted  2nd time Empty Re: Looks like I lost them all then replanted 2nd time

Post  quiltbea 5/9/2014, 9:06 pm

Gosh, how horrid.  I'm so sorry for your losses.  It makes me want to check on my seedlings I left out to harden off tonite.  Its supposed to be in the low 40s but one never knows, from what you suffered.  I'm going to bring mine in to be safe.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712
Join date : 2010-03-21
Age : 82
Location : Southwestern Maine Zone 5A

Back to top Go down

Looks like I lost them all then replanted  2nd time Empty Re: Looks like I lost them all then replanted 2nd time

Post  lyndeeloo 5/9/2014, 9:18 pm

That's terrible. So sorry John, what an awful disappointment!
lyndeeloo
lyndeeloo

Female Posts : 433
Join date : 2013-04-14
Location : Western Massachusetts Zone 5b

Back to top Go down

Looks like I lost them all then replanted  2nd time Empty Re: Looks like I lost them all then replanted 2nd time

Post  AtlantaMarie 5/9/2014, 9:24 pm

I'm so sorry, John.  I would recommend that if you see that the stem looks okay, leave it alone for a couple of weeks.

I thought I lost a BUNCH of stuff in our last freeze, but the tomatoes ended up putting out new leaves and are okay.  I ended up only really losing a couple instead of the dozen+ I thought.

So maybe there's hope...
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602
Join date : 2014-03-18
Age : 61
Location : Buford, GA - Zones 7B/8A

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Looks like I lost them all then replanted  2nd time Empty Re: Looks like I lost them all then replanted 2nd time

Post  Marc Iverson 5/9/2014, 11:50 pm

Sorry to hear that! The transition between seasons can be so volatile ...
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638
Join date : 2013-07-05
Age : 62
Location : SW Oregon

Back to top Go down

Looks like I lost them all then replanted  2nd time Empty Re: Looks like I lost them all then replanted 2nd time

Post  Pollinator 5/10/2014, 1:40 am

johnp wrote:Every weather repot, including local, said the temp. last night would be between 38 and 41 degrees, but look out for Sunday when the big storm comes in. I didn't see the need to cover as it was pretty normal for this time of year. I got up a 4:00 and the temp. was 31.6 and by 6:00 am it was 28.8 in the open greenhouse. The nearest town reported 38 degrees. I looked and it doesn't look good. All my tomatoes, tomatillo's and eggplant may be gone. I'll wait until it gets warmer and go see if anything perks up. It just makes me sick because if the weather people could report a freeze I would of covered everything. I know I planted a week early but with the new knee I am very slow and  was trying to pace along the planting process. I will wait until the next storm is over and start planting the peppers and such along with what I can find to replace the tomatoes. I had several almost extinct hybrids that I was really looking forward to seeing how they would do in the heat and dry conditions.  Sad

I'm really sorry to hear this. But if it ever happens again, you may be able to save the situation. When you discover that it has dropped below freezing, start sprinkling your plants with water. Keep on doing this, even if they ice up, until the temperature is again above freezing.

Oftentimes this will protect a crop. It depends, of course on how cold it gets and how many hours, but the water, even as it freezes on your plant gives up enough heat to protect the plant tissues from freezing.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445
Join date : 2012-06-23
Location : Coastal SC

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Looks like I lost them all then replanted  2nd time Empty Re: Looks like I lost them all then replanted 2nd time

Post  Cajunsmoke14 5/10/2014, 11:17 pm

Sorry to here this, we haven't had a freeze since the Easter snap. Here in Louisiana we should be done with the cold.
Cajunsmoke14
Cajunsmoke14

Female Posts : 84
Join date : 2013-10-13
Age : 57
Location : Turkey Creek, Louisiana

Back to top Go down

Looks like I lost them all then replanted  2nd time Empty Re: Looks like I lost them all then replanted 2nd time

Post  camprn 5/11/2014, 8:53 am

Pollinator wrote:
johnp wrote:Every weather repot, including local, said the temp. last night would be between 38 and 41 degrees, but look out for Sunday when the big storm comes in. I didn't see the need to cover as it was pretty normal for this time of year. I got up a 4:00 and the temp. was 31.6 and by 6:00 am it was 28.8 in the open greenhouse. The nearest town reported 38 degrees. I looked and it doesn't look good. All my tomatoes, tomatillo's and eggplant may be gone. I'll wait until it gets warmer and go see if anything perks up. It just makes me sick because if the weather people could report a freeze I would of covered everything. I know I planted a week early but with the new knee I am very slow and  was trying to pace along the planting process. I will wait until the next storm is over and start planting the peppers and such along with what I can find to replace the tomatoes. I had several almost extinct hybrids that I was really looking forward to seeing how they would do in the heat and dry conditions.  Sad

I'm really sorry to hear this. But if it ever happens again, you may be able to save the situation. When you discover that it has dropped below freezing, start sprinkling your plants with water. Keep on doing this, even if they ice up, until the temperature is again above freezing.

Oftentimes this will protect a crop. It depends, of course on how cold it gets and how many hours, but the water, even as it freezes on your plant gives up enough heat to protect the plant tissues from freezing.
+1

____________________________

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



Looks like I lost them all then replanted  2nd time WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 61
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Looks like I lost them all then replanted  2nd time Empty Re: Looks like I lost them all then replanted 2nd time

Post  floyd1440 5/11/2014, 6:55 pm

I lost all my tomatoes last year.  Weather man said 36 and it ended up 28 and that was all there was to it.  My neighbor planted his today but I think I will wait till next weekend

 Looks like I lost them all then replanted  2nd time 3170584802
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815
Join date : 2011-06-21
Age : 70
Location : Washington, Pa. Zone 6a

Back to top Go down

Looks like I lost them all then replanted  2nd time Empty Re: Looks like I lost them all then replanted 2nd time

Post  CapeCoddess 5/11/2014, 7:02 pm

floyd1440 wrote:I lost all my tomatoes last year.  Weather man said 36 and it ended up 28 and that was all there was to it.  My neighbor planted his today but I think I will wait till next weekend

 Looks like I lost them all then replanted  2nd time 3170584802

I planted a few of my tomatoes today. The sacrificial black cherries. I also potted up a sacrificial Roma a few days ago that is still hanging in there. The rest will wait until next weekend.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Posts : 6824
Join date : 2012-05-20
Age : 68
Location : elbow of the Cape, MA, Zone 6b/7a

Back to top Go down

Looks like I lost them all then replanted  2nd time Empty Re: Looks like I lost them all then replanted 2nd time

Post  johnp 5/12/2014, 8:57 am

Well I went out to the local organic farm on Sat. and for a mere $84.00 I got most of my replacements. Of course we had 5 inches of snow on Sun. so the plants will wait until this weekend to replant. I know I could have spent less but I know who planted the seeds and where they were grown. I did get most of what I wanted except for the paste tomatoes but the Roma's will work. I was surprised at the amount and different kinds of heirloom tomatoes they had so it was fun to shop, not however to write the check.
johnp
johnp

Male Posts : 644
Join date : 2013-01-05
Age : 78
Location : high desert, Penrose CO

Back to top Go down

Looks like I lost them all then replanted  2nd time Empty Re: Looks like I lost them all then replanted 2nd time

Post  floyd1440 5/12/2014, 7:57 pm

johnp wrote:Well I went out to the local organic farm on Sat. and for a mere $84.00 I got most of my replacements. Of course we had 5 inches of snow on Sun. so the plants will wait until this weekend to replant. I know I could have spent less but I know who planted the seeds and where they were grown. I did get most of what I wanted except for the paste tomatoes but the Roma's will work. I was surprised at the amount and different kinds of heirloom tomatoes they had so it was fun to shop, not however to write the check.

Painful but it makes one appreciate how much one can save from growing from seeds.  How many tomatoes did you purchase?
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815
Join date : 2011-06-21
Age : 70
Location : Washington, Pa. Zone 6a

Back to top Go down

Looks like I lost them all then replanted  2nd time Empty Re: Looks like I lost them all then replanted 2nd time

Post  johnp 5/13/2014, 8:52 am

I purchased 34 plants total which included tomatoes, tomatillo's, ground cherries and several peppers. Then of course we had to get flowers and stuff for the front containers down our walkway. I was just estimating my part of the shopping expedition which was considerably more. Thank goodness they are only open to the public 4 weekends a year.
johnp
johnp

Male Posts : 644
Join date : 2013-01-05
Age : 78
Location : high desert, Penrose CO

Back to top Go down

Looks like I lost them all then replanted  2nd time Empty Replanting this weekend

Post  johnp 5/16/2014, 9:43 am

After the first freeze got to all my to early planted tomatoes and such we are going to plant every thing this weekend. This will be the first year for me planting squash and cucumbers direct and not from transplants. Mel's book says pre- soaked seeds. I will soak overnight between wet paper towels. Is this enough?
johnp
johnp

Male Posts : 644
Join date : 2013-01-05
Age : 78
Location : high desert, Penrose CO

Back to top Go down

Looks like I lost them all then replanted  2nd time Empty Re: Looks like I lost them all then replanted 2nd time

Post  llama momma 5/16/2014, 9:49 am

In the past 4 years I have not pre soaked squash or cuke seeds. I prefer to direct sow and you know what?
It grows! What the heck is a couple of days difference anyway, all right then,  jumping off my little soapbox now.
 What a Face
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921
Join date : 2010-08-20
Location : Central Ohio zone 6a

Back to top Go down

Looks like I lost them all then replanted  2nd time Empty Re: Looks like I lost them all then replanted 2nd time

Post  camprn 5/16/2014, 12:36 pm

johnp wrote:After the first freeze got to all my to early planted tomatoes and such we are going to plant every thing this weekend. This will be the first year for me planting squash and cucumbers direct and not from transplants. Mel's book says pre- soaked seeds. I will soak overnight between wet paper towels. Is this enough?
Sometimes I think Mel can be too fussy with some stuff. I plant mine straight out of the package, whether store bought or home saved.

____________________________

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



Looks like I lost them all then replanted  2nd time WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 61
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Looks like I lost them all then replanted  2nd time Empty Re: Looks like I lost them all then replanted 2nd time

Post  johnp 5/16/2014, 3:46 pm

Thanks, I feel the same way, so no mess tonight. Very Happy
johnp
johnp

Male Posts : 644
Join date : 2013-01-05
Age : 78
Location : high desert, Penrose CO

Back to top Go down

Looks like I lost them all then replanted  2nd time Empty Re: Looks like I lost them all then replanted 2nd time

Post  walshevak 5/16/2014, 8:23 pm

llama momma wrote:In the past 4 years I have not pre soaked squash or cuke seeds. I prefer to direct sow and you know what?
It grows! What the heck is a couple of days difference anyway, all right then,  jumping off my little soapbox now.
 What a Face
I've grown cukes and squash for 30 years and never yet soaked a seed.  So it take an extra day or two to come up.  Same with peas and beans.  The key is to keep the soil well moistened until they sprout.

Kay

____________________________

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
avatar
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374
Join date : 2010-10-17
Age : 81
Location : wilmington, nc zone 8

Back to top Go down

Looks like I lost them all then replanted  2nd time Empty Re: Looks like I lost them all then replanted 2nd time

Post  quiltbea 5/17/2014, 11:46 am

I've found that my pre-started indoors cukes fared worse than those sown directly in the soil so after trying one year, I never did it again.  They are set back by transplanting and some just don't make it.
By the time cukes are going in, I'm not as careful about pre-soaking.  I just keep the soil moist and a milk jug over them til they have come up and look strong.  Increases the heat a bit.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712
Join date : 2010-03-21
Age : 82
Location : Southwestern Maine Zone 5A

Back to top Go down

Looks like I lost them all then replanted  2nd time Empty Finished planting for the second time

Post  johnp 5/20/2014, 10:20 am

Spent the whole weekend planting and got everything in the boxes. Seems to take longer every year, especially when you do half of it for the second time.

Looks like I lost them all then replanted  2nd time Dscn0421

Peppers

Looks like I lost them all then replanted  2nd time Dscn0422

Pepper, eggplants, squash and cuc's


Looks like I lost them all then replanted  2nd time Dscn0423

Tomatoes up the row.

Looks like I lost them all then replanted  2nd time Dscn0424

Fairy garden?
johnp
johnp

Male Posts : 644
Join date : 2013-01-05
Age : 78
Location : high desert, Penrose CO

Back to top Go down

Looks like I lost them all then replanted  2nd time Empty Re: Looks like I lost them all then replanted 2nd time

Post  tagyourit 5/20/2014, 11:22 am

I love the fairy garden!!!!!!    Where did you get the stuff for it?
tagyourit
tagyourit

Female Posts : 48
Join date : 2013-05-01
Location : Little Rock, AR Zone 7B

Back to top Go down

Looks like I lost them all then replanted  2nd time Empty Re: Looks like I lost them all then replanted 2nd time

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum