Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Anyone else having problems w/ site? - Page 2 Toplef10Anyone else having problems w/ site? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Anyone else having problems w/ site? - Page 2 I22gcj10Anyone else having problems w/ site? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Anyone else having problems w/ site? - Page 2 Toplef10Anyone else having problems w/ site? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Anyone else having problems w/ site? - Page 2 I22gcj10Anyone else having problems w/ site? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Anyone else having problems w/ site?

+19
Triciasgarden
catbranch
Goosegirl
Yardslave
RJARPCGP
llama momma
Boz
CapeCoddess
greatgranny
sanderson
Jmichelle
southern gardener
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Turan
Kelejan
yolos
boffer
camprn
AtlantaMarie
23 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Anyone else having problems w/ site? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone else having problems w/ site?

Post  southern gardener 4/29/2014, 5:40 pm

I am on GoogleChrome with Windows 8. Rebooted, logged in/out AGAIN, cleared cache, emptied cookies, still ads all over.  Over it for sure. So annoying!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Anyone else having problems w/ site? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone else having problems w/ site?

Post  boffer 4/29/2014, 5:55 pm

greatgranny wrote:The forum for the "creatingforum.com" had this post that might explain some of this.

http://help.forumotion.com/t132462-google-ad-s-leaving-the-box#891562

I've been watching that thread, but haven't said anything here because Turan said she was using FF and AJR is using Safari.   I couldn't attribute the problem exclusively to IE.

We all have been frustrated at one time or another, trying to get past the front line person who has no authority, in order to speak to the person who can get things rectified.  It works the same way on forumotion's help forum.  The mods who handle the day to day business need justification to alert the administrator to a potential global problem.  Then the admin needs documentation to present to the technicians in France that there is a problem that can't be fixed at her level.

If several of you with the problem would post screen shots of what you're seeing, along with what browser and version you're using, I will present the info to them.  They won't even listen unless you've cleared your cache and cookies, and have re-booted, so make sure you've done that.  For those of you savvy enough, try a browser other than the one you're having trouble with.

IE has acquired a well deserved bad reputation over the years, but I've heard that it's much better since IE9.  By virtue of still being the most used browser, unfortunately, it is subject to the most frequent abuse by hackers.  If anyone on the forum would like to recommend another browser, and help less savvy members get one downloaded and installed, please start another thread to do so.  And if you're so inclined, remember that some of our members don't really know what a browser is.  All they know is that they use IE to get on the internet.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 4/29/2014, 6:24 pm

Thanks, Boffer.  How do we make a screen shot so we can show it to you?
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/29/2014, 6:36 pm

LOL  I knew that question was coming!

The basic way that everyone should be able to do in Windows:

Open the view you want to capture.

Hit the PrtScrn button.  That copies it.

Open Paint.

Select paste.

Save.

But the absolute easiest way that I've found is to use this free small program
http://app.prntscr.com/

I can get a screenshot ready to upload in less than 5 seconds.  I love it.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/29/2014, 7:25 pm

I thought of another thing for those of you having problems.  In the bottom left hand corner of your monitor is what's called a status bar that will pop up and down.  It's where an  application can display various kinds of status information.

Picture of status bar:

Sometimes the status bar will show a link, like in my picture.  Sometimes it will show what link your browser is downloading information from when you go to a new link.

When you're on the homepage, does the status bar get 'stuck' on a particular link in the status bar?  It might say 'Transferring data from such and such' or 'Waiting for such and such'.  You can click F5 to reload the page as often as you want in order to watch what the status bar does.

The homepage should load everything in a few seconds, and then the status bar goes away.  If it keeps getting stuck waiting for the same place over and over, that might be something to pass along to the techs.  

It's a long shot, but worth a look.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny 4/29/2014, 8:18 pm

Is Adblock exclusive to Firefox?  Just asking.
greatgranny
greatgranny

Female Posts : 661

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 4/29/2014, 8:55 pm

okay this is a work in progress. I may have figured out how to use screenshot program that boffer listed.
Anyone else having problems w/ site? - Page 2 Screen10

It worked.  I will see if I can get a shot of the ad at the bottom left of the page.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/29/2014, 9:02 pm

greatgranny wrote:Is Adblock exclusive to Firefox?  Just asking.

No. Go here. It should offer the proper version for whatever browser you're using, including android (whatever that is!)

https://adblockplus.org
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 4/29/2014, 9:07 pm

Okay paint was easier so here is the bottom left of screen I hope.
Anyone else having problems w/ site? - Page 2 New_sh10
Boffer, as I said I am using windows 7, internet explorer 11.  I tried all the things you said to do except the adblock program.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/29/2014, 9:19 pm

Thanks, I'll see if anyone else can post one, and I'll present them all at once.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 4/29/2014, 9:29 pm

Okay, I downloaded adblock plus and so far it is working.  When I came back on the forum, it asked me if I wanted to block the popups and I said yes, so I don't know if that is going to block something important or not.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny 4/29/2014, 11:46 pm

yolos wrote:Okay, I downloaded adblock plus and so far it is working.  When I came back on the forum, it asked me if I wanted to block the popups and I said yes, so I don't know if that is going to block something important or not.
Am so glad that this helped.  Have used it ever since I was getting annoyed with ads on Facebook.
greatgranny
greatgranny

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny 4/29/2014, 11:48 pm

boffer wrote:
greatgranny wrote:Is Adblock exclusive to Firefox?  Just asking.

No.  Go here.  It should offer the proper version for whatever browser you're using, including android (whatever that is!)

https://adblockplus.org
I think everyone would appreciate this.  It sure has helped me avoid the annoying ads on Facebook.  Glad it is available for those who do not use Firefox.
greatgranny
greatgranny

Back to top Go down

Anyone else having problems w/ site? - Page 2 Empty RE: anyone else having problems w/site

Post  Boz 4/30/2014, 11:55 am

I have not had problems with the adds until today. I see no reason for me to have to install software on my computer to fix a problem with this site and its owners. Thus if it continues I will stop posting.

Bad attitude, I have
Boz
Boz

Male Posts : 109

http://lovelandwormery.com

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/30/2014, 12:15 pm

Hey, That's ok Boz  I don't blame you, this ad $^&% is really annoying.  I've tried using the recommended fixes and still have the junk ads on top and more junk ads down below on the left side.  The forum use to be a refuge from this annoyance.  Disappointing.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 4/30/2014, 12:57 pm

+1 to BOZ and Llamamomma. It's obviously not most everyone's computers all at the same time, doing the same thing!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 4/30/2014, 1:03 pm

So I guess the next question is:  Has there been some sort of update on the part of the website folks that might have caused this?

I agree w/ Boz.  I shouldn't have to put more stuff on my computer to block the ads.  I've already got software that does that.  This is the only website I'm having problems with.  (Of course, I'm not on Facebook, etc., so can't talk about that...)
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RJARPCGP 4/30/2014, 2:13 pm

I have plenty of ads alright! In fact, some banner ads are misplaced and Firefox keeps reporting pop-ups being blocked.....

What's gonna really make me put my foot down, is if I start getting counterfeit Flash Player ads!

The fake player ads are believed to be crimeware operations done by corrupt jerks that need to GTFO.
I won't give a squeak if they get imprisonment for fraud.....

One of them to watch out for is "Flash Player Pro", which is counterfeit, it likely tricks users into installing malware.
RJARPCGP
RJARPCGP

Male Posts : 352

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 4/30/2014, 4:40 pm

I use Google Chrome for Win8 and installed Adblockplus and it performs flawlessly. I don't get ads on either my email or on the web.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  RJARPCGP 4/30/2014, 9:41 pm

I just randomly got logged out.....
RJARPCGP
RJARPCGP

Male Posts : 352

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny 4/30/2014, 9:44 pm

RJARPCGP wrote:I just randomly got logged out.....
So did I.
greatgranny
greatgranny

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 4/30/2014, 10:08 pm

greatgranny wrote:
RJARPCGP wrote:I just randomly got logged out.....
So did I.

Me 3!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/30/2014, 10:24 pm

Oh, maybe that is what happened to me! I opened site and there were ADS!  Shocked 
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  catbranch 5/1/2014, 12:17 am

Unless you have an ad block program installed you are going to see the 728 x 90 (pixel size) ad at the top of the page and the 180 x 150 ad under the chat box in the sidebar no matter how often you delete cookies and refresh your page.

Someone, I'm assuming the folks at creatingforum.com, have a slew of javascript inserted in the code for ads to display from various sources (google adsense, criteo, google lead service, etc). All of which are earning whoever put the code there to begin with money anytime someone clicks on the ads. Whether this is something new they are doing on all the forums they host or if they have some sort of pay us for your forum and we will remove the ads type thing going on I don't know. But they aren't going anywhere until that code is removed or commented out with more code.

If you are familiar with code and know how to read or write it, you can see this by right clicking anywhere on the page other than an image and selecting View Page Source. You have to find the correct spot in the code, but it is definitely there because I have it open in another window and am looking at it.

As a side note, if you are using Chrome like I am, you can right click anywhere on the page (except an image) and select View Page Info. Under permissions >> cookies and site data, you will see other. That is 3rd party cookies that are being allowed on the site. If you click on show cookies it will list them and give you the option to block and remove them. However, I just removed the 11 I had listed and already have 4 more new ones after reloading, so it's really a waste of time since the code is written in a way that if one company is blocked, it just pulls up the next one.. and there are MANY.

Cathy
catbranch
catbranch

Female Posts : 49

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/1/2014, 2:15 am

catbranch wrote:Unless you have an ad block program installed you are going to see the 728 x 90 (pixel size) ad at the top of the page and the 180 x 150 ad under the chat box in the sidebar...

Not everybody!

I removed adblock, and as a guest I see
Anyone else having problems w/ site? - Page 2 Screen39

When I log in, I see
Anyone else having problems w/ site? - Page 2 Screen40

When I'm logged in without adblock, I have no ads, and there isn't the long list of google stuff in the page source.

Since this forum was created in 2010, forumotion has changed how ads are administered several times.  Each progressive change made it harder for us to eliminate ads.  The last change worked as I described above: logged-in members didn't have to see ads, only guests did.

I think that they have eliminated that option as well for newly created forums, but that forums created in 2009/2010 were grandfathered in and retained the ability to opt out of ads for logged in members.  Nobody seems to know for sure when the exact cut-off date was.

The screenshots that yolos provided are the current standard locations for google ads here.  Is anyone seeing ads other than those two places?

It's not unusual for the software techs to make changes without telling anyone.  They don't even tell the mods on their own help forum!  

thinking
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next