Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New SFGs Toplef10New SFGs 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New SFGs I22gcj10New SFGs 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New SFGs Toplef10New SFGs 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New SFGs I22gcj10New SFGs 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

New SFGs

2 posters

Go down

New SFGs Empty New SFGs

Post  ETNRedClay Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:56 pm

Last year I built nearly 400 sf of MM and SFG on a big slope, so the beds were 2 boards high on the uphill and 3 boards on the downhill (11" and 17'-ish).  Loved it.  Produced TONS of produce and better than that, ate a big fresh no-chemicals-added meal out of my garden every day from April 1 to mid September.

This year, I'm refining.  I did level all my beds up with new compost (mushroom compost, field cow hay rack compost, deep chicken litter compost, & grass clippings/leaf compost gathered last fall.  And the fifth part was a mix of worm castings, kelp meal, alfalfa meal, rabbit manure, and fish meal). 

Discovered the fun of running compost through a SCREEN first -- pure delight.  Just draped 1/2" hardware cloth over the biggest Rubbermaid tub I've ever seen, bent the edges and folded the corners so it stayed in place and FUN.  Dumped, pushed around with the shovel, and scrape off any big parts into a bucket to go back for more "cooking."

After that I took on the new project.  ELEVATED SFG and container SFG.  I replaced the boards in my deck and was going to put the 2'x3'x8" concrete mixing tubs back on the deck... but decided instead to make "legs" out of 3-stack of concrete blocks and a "table" out of landscape timbers -- both of which I had here, and put my 6 tubs on this new platform.  HEAVEN.  I can garden without bending an inch.  Filled with MM and mini-blind slats for grids and I've got 18 kinds of salad greens coming up already in the first 3 tubs.

And lastly my SIPs (sub irrigation planters).  I found a huge deal on flower pots, 22' across and 18" tall.  I found another deal on colanders at the Dollar Tree and turns out PET water bottles that are ribbed can be stacked to make a water tube.  A little weed cloth around the colander to keep dirt out of the water/air reservoir, and my trusty Dewalt cordless drill and I have 13 new planters which I planted in MM (of course) and started my cukes, winter squash, summer squash, pumpkins and melons.  And around the edges I've got radishes and turnips coming along. 

Point being I made a TON of compost for last year's beds and I made new MM for the concrete mixing tubs and SIPs.  I make my MM in 3ea 5-gallon increments... or 15-gallons at a time.

Each of 6 concrete mixing tub takes 4ea 5-gallon buckets of MM.  Each large container took 2ea 5-gallons of MM.  It turned out to be about 50 5-gallon buckets of MM mixed in my trusty wheelbarrow. 
Started with the compost -- carried a 5-gallon bucket to each of my compost bins, added a heaping shovel-full, then a coffee can's worth of the other ingredients compost (worm castings, kelp, alfalfa, etc.) until the bucket was full  Mixed that up in the wheel barrow with my handy kids' hoe.  Then a bucket of peat moss I'd "fluffed" by grabbing a handful from the bag and rubbing it between my hands over the bucket until it was full.  Another bucket of Vermiculite which was just pour out of a bag -- easy compared to the rest!.  Then stirred it all with the kids' hoe again, raking it from front to back to front to back and done, pulling from the bottom of the pile each time.  Then shoveled the now-mixed MM back into a 5-gallon bucket to dump in tubs or planters.  Not sweaty work until today with the direct sun on my back, but that was only the last few planters.

All and all it was FUN!

(I need to add more concrete mixing tubs!)
ETNRedClay
ETNRedClay

Female Posts : 210

Back to top Go down

New SFGs Empty Re: New SFGs

Post  boffer Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:37 pm

Just starting your second year, right? I'd say you're hooked!  

Welcome to the club! Razz 

boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum