Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Western mountains and highplains, SPRING is HERE!  2014 - Page 2 Toplef10Western mountains and highplains, SPRING is HERE!  2014 - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Western mountains and highplains, SPRING is HERE!  2014 - Page 2 I22gcj10Western mountains and highplains, SPRING is HERE!  2014 - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Western mountains and highplains, SPRING is HERE!  2014 - Page 2 Toplef10Western mountains and highplains, SPRING is HERE!  2014 - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Western mountains and highplains, SPRING is HERE!  2014 - Page 2 I22gcj10Western mountains and highplains, SPRING is HERE!  2014 - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Western mountains and highplains, SPRING is HERE! 2014

+8
Windmere
yolos
Triciasgarden
Kelejan
Marc Iverson
AtlantaMarie
Boz
Turan
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Western mountains and highplains, SPRING is HERE!  2014 - Page 2 Empty Re: Western mountains and highplains, SPRING is HERE! 2014

Post  Turan 6/1/2014, 4:40 pm

The Hooker's Sweet Indian corn is up!  I planted it in the remains of a cold frame one week ago.  That takes up half a bed, the other half has a better cold frame with the determinate tomatoes.  The little shoots made me realize I can not put off laying the soaker hoses through that bed any longer.  
I planted the Painted Mountain flour corn in another bed yesterday.  That bed will be a two sisters bed because I am planting the summer squash in the corners.  Maybe it will be 3 sisters, if tomatillos volunteer in there.  Laughing 
This year the beans get their own bed.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2616

Back to top Go down

Western mountains and highplains, SPRING is HERE!  2014 - Page 2 Empty Re: Western mountains and highplains, SPRING is HERE! 2014

Post  Turan 6/5/2014, 11:02 pm

Planted the last of the peppers and melons in to the greenhouse.  The tomatillos look happily settled in their old tire hill.  This weekend I need to make one more bed for beans and make the compost berm for the winter squash. 

My son did a major mowing for his grandmother and brought home a pickup load of mowed grass and old leaves and pine needles.  I got lots of mulch now  Laughing

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 6/6/2014, 11:42 am

I'm gradually planting out my tomatoes and squash.  Today or tomorrow, the corn and chard will be planted, as well as more beans.  

Nighttime temps have been running 5 - 10 degrees below those predicted, meaning mid-30s.  

I wish there were some way that I could rig my indoor/outdoor thermometer to sound an alarm when temps go below around 37F!
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 6/6/2014, 1:15 pm

Maybe attach that alarm to a switch on a pulley that will draw covers up over the beds  Very Happy  

This time of year is so full of optimism and a frantic feeling of falling behind.  Ooooph, when there is only a 90 day growing season every second counts and it has to get going fast.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 6/7/2014, 6:56 pm

Night temps are supposed to be in the mid 40s for the foreseeable future.  I guess I will keep the WoW on the tomatillos.  I just planted the beans, rattlesnake, blue lake,  venture and Indian Yellow (a dry bean).  I guess I will throw a row cover over them to help them keep snug as they hopefully sprout.
The squash are all in pots on the windowsill.  They are getting impatient but this is still a bit cool nights for them.  Also we just made their compost berm and I suspect it will heat up a bit too much over the next couple of days.  Maybe by next weekend it will be perfect.  I hope.
Thai basil is also on hte windowsill.  It will go in the greenhouse when big enough.
ANd I seeded 36 soil blocks of rutabaga.  Yet once more I am trying to grow good roots,, not wiry thin ones.  This year they get their own 3X3 area to be dominant in.

New bean bed and squash berm.
Western mountains and highplains, SPRING is HERE!  2014 - Page 2 Dscn2011

Greenhouse is all planted except the okra.
Western mountains and highplains, SPRING is HERE!  2014 - Page 2 Dscn2012

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 6/14/2014, 1:50 pm

Last week, right after I posted those pictures, I could not stand it and planted out all the squash on the berm and edge of the corn plot and the okra in the greenhouse.  Because the nights still drop into the low 40s I put WoW around all of them (taken from the tomatoes and peppers in the greenhouse).  I am glad I did.  It has been down into the 30s the last few nights and frosted near us.  Today's high is supposed to be mid 50s. 
Friends also got pummeled by hail but the gardens are not high enough for that to really traumatize the plantings.

There is a saying in the valley that there is always a frost for the June full moon and that was last night.  So I wonder if others see something similar with the full moon nearest their last frost date?

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  johnp 6/15/2014, 8:31 am

Got down to 41 degrees this morning and the wind last night hit 53mph.I had just replanted beets and chard because of the leaf miners and my dog dug up all five squares. I guess they looked to nice. Rolling Eyes
johnp
johnp

Male Posts : 644

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/15/2014, 8:48 am

oh NO! that stinks. Evil or Very Mad

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Western mountains and highplains, SPRING is HERE!  2014 - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/15/2014, 11:57 pm

We had a couple of weeks of quite high temperatures here in the British Columbia Interior with no rain, then all of a sudden we have had four days of heavy rain. Managed to get out this evening to catch up with things to find that my kale is doing nicely, my tomato plants are looking the best I have ever had, snow peas ready for picking tomorrow, lettuce also ready to harvest leaves and the garlic with some nice scapes on them and the strawberries laden with green berries promising a nice harvest. 

Naturally the grass will need mowing when it is dry enough. Hard work is  beginning to pay off. This year for the first time I did some stuff from seed instead of transplants so the tomatoes, kale, lettuce etc are the results and the garlic are now in their third year.  It encourages me now to start looking at extending my growing season at both ends. Always something to look forward to.

A friend called in just before I packed up tonight and brought me two books: Reader's digest Illustrated Guide to Gardening in Canada (for many years I have been using the eguivalent book for England) and she also gave me Culpeper's COMPLETE HERBAL & English Physician with beautiful plates of many of the herbs.  Lots of reading to do.

Life is good.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 6/16/2014, 12:20 am

Culpeper sounds like an interesting read.  I just read the wikipedia entry on him, fascinating person.

So glad your garden is feeling on the go again. Smile

I saw a first pea blossom today. sunny

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/16/2014, 12:46 am

kelejan your new book Culpeper's COMPLETE HERBAL & English Physician sounds neat...I hope you will share with us some of the great info you will find  Very Happy glad to read life is good!

Turan congrats  cheers on the first pea blossom!!....those first in the garden is so exciting!

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/16/2014, 1:35 am

Turan and Family Gardening: I have skimmed through the book, the prose is of the style  of Shakespeare so is not an easy read. The book is a  1997 edition of the one published in  1826.

It has 22 Plates covering about 200 plants.  The original of course was all hand-coloured and if it still  exists must be priceless.

The plants depicted are all available in England, of course, but many are grown here in Canada.  I looked up Comfrey, and there it was. Started off: The common great comfrey hath divers very large and hairy green leaves, lying on the ground, so hairy or prickly, that if they touch any tender part of the hands, face, or body, it will cause it to itch: the stalk that risith up from among them. . . etc. A whole page is devoted to this one plant so I will not continue to copy it.  Very Happy Covers all the ailments it treats. i.e. spitting blood: bloody urine: inward hurts, bruises and wounds, and the ulcers of the lung: and so forth.

Not going to bed reading for me.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2