Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Enough/right light? Toplef10Enough/right light? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Enough/right light? I22gcj10Enough/right light? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Enough/right light? Toplef10Enough/right light? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Enough/right light? I22gcj10Enough/right light? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 11:26 am

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 11:19 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Enough/right light?

+6
landarch
boffer
jimmy cee
68carguy
CapeCoddess
NatalieWatersSeum
10 posters

Go down

Enough/right light? Empty Enough/right light?

Post  NatalieWatersSeum 4/13/2014, 5:32 pm

Greetings! 

I am new to starting seeds inside, so any advice is greatly appreciated. You are all such a wealth of information!

My first flat of seeds have germinated and are just starting to show their true leaves. In the photo you will see lettuce in the foreground, basil in the back left and jalapeno peppers in the back right. They are under a light with two Sylvania Gro-Lux bulbs and kept within 1-2 inches of the light. Now to my questions ... 

1. The seedlings in the outer rows seem to be stretching toward the light. Is that okay? Is there anything I should/could do to prevent that, like raise the light? Is it okay that those are a bit taller than the middle rows, or is that length indicating that they are getting leggy? The peppers in the back right are particularly long and looking leggy.

2. When should I thin them? Next time I definitely will not plant three seeds each as pretty much 100% of my seeds germinated!

Thank you in advance for your help!

Natalie

Enough/right light? <a href=Enough/right light? Photo10" />

Last edited by NatalieWatersSeum on 4/13/2014, 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
NatalieWatersSeum
NatalieWatersSeum

Back to top Go down

Enough/right light? Empty Re: Enough/right light?

Post  CapeCoddess 4/13/2014, 7:31 pm

hi Natalie! Welcome to the forum! I can't help you with the grow light issue because I use the window. But on cloudy days when I place my seedlings under the kitchen counter fluorescent light I turn them once or twice during the day so that everyone is directly under the light at some point. As far as thinning I believe Mel says in the ANS FG book to thin them when they are an inch tall. Do you have the book?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  NatalieWatersSeum 4/13/2014, 9:15 pm

Thank you, CC. I do have the book (two of them at least), but I feel like I've read many different opinions regarding when to thin. When once inch? When they've developed two sets of true leaves? Ugh, I am trying to do all the right things! 

I hope someone else can provide some input on my light set-up. 

Thanks so much for your reply!
NatalieWatersSeum
NatalieWatersSeum

Back to top Go down

Post  68carguy 4/13/2014, 9:26 pm

Does you lights have a reflector, or hood? It appears the spread of the light isn't reaching the outside plants, just the 2 rows right under the lights. I would try raising the light just a inch or so to see if the light spread out better. Maybe you could rotate the flat of plants each day so the other get some more exposure to the strong light right under the lamps.

Oh and as far as thining I would use sissors to cut all but the strongest plant in each cell, no need to wait if you aren't wanting to have more than one plant per cell. The sooner the better the strongest one left will just get bigger due to all of the room.

Last edited by 68carguy on 4/13/2014, 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
68carguy
68carguy

Male Posts : 152

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 4/13/2014, 9:32 pm

I have been using plain old daylight bulbs and their doing me great.
Last year I made up 4 lights with t-12 bulbs, this year made 4 t-8s.
Cannot notice any difference, I keep my plants barely touching the bulbs when they pop out.
Had a sugar pea that wrapped around the bulb, now he's out in the garden.
I also rotated my pots ,just about every day, I'm thinking this made the light as even as possible.
I'm very satisfied with the way my seedlings are flourishing under daylight bulbs.
Cannot say the same for this weather tho.
Enough/right light? New_li11Enough/right light? Seed_s15
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/13/2014, 9:53 pm

Your picture looks normal to me.  Adjust the tray a couple times a day so each row of plants gets a chance to be directly under a bulb.  Keep the plants as close as possible to the bulbs.  If you can touch the bulbs and they don't feel hot, your plants won't be hurt if they touch the bulbs.  If you can, put your set up near a window, that will help too.

I got tired of doing  the things I just mentioned, and decided that the long term solution was to add another bulb.

As Carguy suggested, do your thinning with scissors anytime it's convenient for you.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  NatalieWatersSeum 4/13/2014, 9:56 pm

68carguy wrote:Does you lights have a reflector, or hood? It appears the spread of the light isn't reaching the outside plants, just the 2 rows right under the lights. I would try raising the light just a inch or so to see if the light spread out better. Maybe you could rotate the flat of plants each day so the other get some more exposure to the strong light right under the lamps.

Oh and as far as thining I would use sissors to cut all but the strongest plant in each cell, no need to wait if you aren't wanting to have more than one plant per cell. The sooner the better the strongest one left will just get bigger due to all of the room.
Thanks, 68carguy -- you have some great ideas. I am not sure what you mean by a reflector or hood (so I must not have either!). I will try rotating, which may be more practical if I cut some of the cells apart. And I will thin tomorrow -- thank you!
NatalieWatersSeum
NatalieWatersSeum

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 4/13/2014, 10:08 pm

One thing that I've learned is not to mix different seeds in the same tray so that each can independently be placed as close to the light source as possible.

Another thing is that I probably started my seeds indoors too early...I followed the soonest date on Johhn's Seed Starting Calculator instead choosing a more conservative date in the suggested range.  My tomatoes and tomatillos have rapidly outgrown my ability to adjust my indoor lights.  I also don't want to pot up another size because of the volume of soil mix required.

To solve the light problem, I've been setting my plants outside to get sunlight...but this cold front, forecasted snow, overnight temps in the 20's, and severe thunderstorms (wind and hail) will put a dent in my plan next week.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  68carguy 4/13/2014, 10:11 pm

H
NatalieWatersSeum wrote:
68carguy wrote:Does you lights have a reflector, or hood? It appears the spread of the light isn't reaching the outside plants, just the 2 rows right under the lights. I would try raising the light just a inch or so to see if the light spread out better. Maybe you could rotate the flat of plants each day so the other get some more exposure to the strong light right under the lamps.

Thanks, 68carguy -- you have some great ideas. I am not sure what you mean by a reflector or hood (so I must not have either!). I will try rotating, which may be more practical if I cut some of the cells apart. And I will thin tomorrow -- thank you!
Here is a picture of a refector or hood on this light

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T5-EnviroGro-4Ft-8-Tube-GROW-LIGHT-FIXTURE-/390817445892?pt=US_Hydroponics&hash=item5afe88f804#ht_1371wt_884
68carguy
68carguy

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/13/2014, 10:16 pm

NatalieWatersSeum wrote:...I am not sure what you mean by a reflector or hood (so I must not have either!)...

You are right-no reflector or hood.  But you could try a simple experiment with aluminum foil.  Make a shroud with the foil to enclose the light fixture and plants within.  The foil will reflect some light back onto the plants.  You'll know in a day if it's worthwhile.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  68carguy 4/13/2014, 10:29 pm

Believe it of not my set-up is on top of my water heater with a small clamp on light, a CFL bulb, and a sunscreen over the top to reflect the light down. The sunscreen is like the picture below, like you use in a car.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/181153130725?lpid=82
68carguy
68carguy

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/14/2014, 3:55 am

This spring, I had 6 flats of seedlings under one 2-tube, 4-foot cheapie.  The outer edges of the trays were almost dark so I bought a second one and spread them apart.  Much better and only cost total of $20 at HD.  I will get a third one for next winter/spring seedlings.  A whopping $30 for really good coverage.  With 3 sets of lights, I can put taller plants together in a line and raise just that light.  The heights are easy to adjust with the metal wire. The seedlings were pretty tall when I found out they should have been way, way lower to start with. Live and learn.

I use 2 1/4" x 3" seedling cups so I can mix and match plants around as needed.  I had some luck using medium vermiculite for sprouting and then transplanting to individual cups.  Very gently.  Very Happy 

Others are probably tired of seeing my set up but here it is for you.
Enough/right light? Seed_d12
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 4/14/2014, 9:01 am

Hi Natalie!  Welcome! wave smile 

This is my first year using SFG.  I'm using a large east-facing window and everything seems to be doing fine that way.

Unfortunately, I don't have room in the house or garage to put in a light area.  We're discussing a small greenhouse for next year.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5601

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/14/2014, 9:01 am

NatalieWatersSeum wrote:Greetings! 

I am new to starting seeds inside, so any advice is greatly appreciated. You are all such a wealth of information!
They are under a light with two Sylvania Gro-Lux bulbs and kept within 1-2 inches of the light. Now to my questions ... 

1. The seedlings in the outer rows seem to be stretching toward the light. Is that okay? Is there anything I should/could do to prevent that, like raise the light?
Raise the light a few inches and rotate the outer plants into the middle directly under the lamp, for a day or two. This will help with the leggyness. THey get that way because they want more light.

NatalieWatersSeum wrote:

2. When should I thin them? Next time I definitely will not plant three seeds each as pretty much 100% of my seeds germinated!

Thank you in advance for your help!

Natalie
You could start managing the plants now. Be very gentle with them. I suggest lifting the cell plug and separating the seedlings and planting a single plant into a single cell. If you don't have cell packs try recycling other containers you have in the house. yogurt cups, paper or plastic milk containers. Cut those down the middle, top to bottom for 2 small planting containers, etc.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Enough/right light? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  NatalieWatersSeum 4/14/2014, 11:42 am

Boffer -- I am trying the aluminum foil today! Thanks, great tip! 

And Sanderson -- I really like your set-up! I have four shelves with one 2-ft light with two bulbs on each shelf. I am thinking the way you did it is better. I'll remember that for next year, but if I suggest a major change to my hubby at this point, he may loose it! 

Thanks, everyone!
NatalieWatersSeum
NatalieWatersSeum

Back to top Go down

Enough/right light? Empty how light or night and heat is enough or to much for plants

Post  has55 5/31/2017, 10:08 am

light, dark and heat need for plants. is it enough?
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 5/31/2017, 10:50 am

Vegetables You Can Grow with or without Full Sun
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down