Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Using the SFG method in a modified in ground/raised space?  Toplef10Using the SFG method in a modified in ground/raised space?  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Using the SFG method in a modified in ground/raised space?  I22gcj10Using the SFG method in a modified in ground/raised space?  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Using the SFG method in a modified in ground/raised space?  Toplef10Using the SFG method in a modified in ground/raised space?  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Using the SFG method in a modified in ground/raised space?  I22gcj10Using the SFG method in a modified in ground/raised space?  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Using the SFG method in a modified in ground/raised space?

+2
Turan
michelledy72
6 posters

Go down

Using the SFG method in a modified in ground/raised space?  Empty Using the SFG method in a modified in ground/raised space?

Post  michelledy72 3/8/2014, 9:42 am

I'm copying from my welcome on this topic - 
 I've been growing in pots for the past few years. I asked my husband for an actual in ground space and he certainly delivered! I have a non traditional space - it is 22' long and starts 5' wide on the short end and gradually increases to 9' at the other end. It is somewhat of a "raised" idea as it is nestled in between retaining walls. This is the same space I have used for my container garden the past 3 years, so the sun/shade combo is great here. We actually had this space incorporated for garden space when we built our house and had the landscape design done. So I had intended to go for the SFG idea, but now after measuring the finished space I'm wondering if it will work?! This is what we've grown the past 3 years: leaf lettuces, microgreens, herbs, cherry tomatoes, tomato & cucumber varieties that tolerated containers well, jalapenos, stevia, lacianato kale and a failed attempt at peas last year. I am excited to be able to plant more this year. Just a little overwhelmed looking at the space and not sure the best way to tackle it.

I should add that I was surprised my husband gave me this much space, he was reluctant to do this. Also the bed has been filled with soil already. He is going back to the designer to find out what they filled it with, but it doesn't look like a garden soil mix  Sad  So I was planning on adding worm castings and whatever else needed once I find out what I'm working with.
michelledy72
michelledy72

Back to top Go down

Using the SFG method in a modified in ground/raised space?  Empty Re: Using the SFG method in a modified in ground/raised space?

Post  Turan 3/8/2014, 12:39 pm

You can use the organizational ideas of SFG on any sort of garden space. You might need to give yourself a wide board for a walk way to access the interior of the wide part. Maybe playing with a make shift grid will help you figure out how best to use the space and access it. One of the glories of SFG is that you are focusing your efforts. So you need to know where to the planting will be versus paths. When you know where your growing squares will be focus on the soil. Mixing in plenty of compost is good for any soil. You can also layer Mel's Mix over the soil and then the under soil will become a reservoir for nutrients, temperature and water.

I hope that is helpful. Post a picture so we better know what you are dealing with and how you manage it. We love pictures.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2616

Back to top Go down

Using the SFG method in a modified in ground/raised space?  Empty Thanks!

Post  michelledy72 3/13/2014, 11:29 am

Thanks for the reply! I have decided to continue using a few pots in a part of the space, which cut my space down to what is probably more of a manageable space and am going to divide that into 4 SFG plots, using boards, stone or something to designate the pathways. I'm excited!
michelledy72
michelledy72

Back to top Go down

Using the SFG method in a modified in ground/raised space?  Empty Re: Using the SFG method in a modified in ground/raised space?

Post  gwennifer 3/13/2014, 11:33 am

Michelle I'm sorry I didn't see this post when you first put it up. A picture would really help, but Turan certainly gave you good advice. I hope you'll give us some pictures soon to see what you've come up with. Happy gardening!
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/13/2014, 1:59 pm

Yes, pictures!!  Very Happy 
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 3/14/2014, 12:46 am

Be sure not to walk on the soil you plan to plant in -- even before you plant anything in it. Get those walkways figured out ASAP and stick to them religiously.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/14/2014, 8:48 pm

Marc Iverson wrote:Be sure not to walk on the soil you plan to plant in -- even before you plant anything in it.  Get those walkways figured out ASAP and stick to them religiously.
Good advice there from Marc.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down