Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
drip systems - Watering Grid - What's your opinion? Toplef10drip systems - Watering Grid - What's your opinion? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

drip systems - Watering Grid - What's your opinion? I22gcj10drip systems - Watering Grid - What's your opinion? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
drip systems - Watering Grid - What's your opinion? Toplef10drip systems - Watering Grid - What's your opinion? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

drip systems - Watering Grid - What's your opinion? I22gcj10drip systems - Watering Grid - What's your opinion? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Watering Grid - What's your opinion?

+4
sanderson
rabbithutch
bnoles
PeterSFG
8 posters

Go down

drip systems - Watering Grid - What's your opinion? Empty Watering Grid - What's your opinion?

Post  PeterSFG 2/23/2014, 6:22 pm

Hi everyone!
Had a question about a company I saw on Facebook- Garden In Minutes  they make a garden watering grid. (I copied their picture). Has anyone used it before? I was thinking about them for my beds but want some opinions before I do. Thanks!  

drip systems - Watering Grid - What's your opinion? Raised12

BTW favorite veggies to grow are beefsteak tomatoes, leaf lettuce, onions, and cucumber. Can't go wrong with a "salad garden".
PeterSFG
PeterSFG

Male Posts : 2

Back to top Go down

drip systems - Watering Grid - What's your opinion? Empty Re: Watering Grid - What's your opinion?

Post  bnoles 2/23/2014, 8:02 pm

You may want to consider making your own.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t9942-my-sfg-progress-pictures-9-4x4-with-fully-automated-watering

I made one like it and it works perfectly.

drip systems - Watering Grid - What's your opinion? P1010022
bnoles

Male Posts : 804

Back to top Go down

drip systems - Watering Grid - What's your opinion? Empty Re: Watering Grid - What's your opinion?

Post  rabbithutch 2/23/2014, 9:05 pm

bnoles wrote:You may want to consider making your own.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t9942-my-sfg-progress-pictures-9-4x4-with-fully-automated-watering

Ev'nin' Bob!

I'm curious (or so I've been told by lots of folks) as to why you ran pipes along the sides and why you have them crisscrossed.  From your picture you have 5 pipes in each direction.  Seems to me that puts water in places it's not needed (but what do I know, right?). 

Why not have just have pipes that go through the center of your squares (4 of them) and none going crosswise?  Seems to me that this would put water at the center of each square foot where it would disperse 6" in each direction.  What am I missing?
rabbithutch
rabbithutch

Male Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/23/2014, 9:26 pm

RH, This is what I made from 1/4" drip lines from DripWorks.  Two lines across each square, each line with 6" spaced emitters. Is this what you were thinking?
drip systems - Watering Grid - What's your opinion? 4-27-111
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  rabbithutch 2/23/2014, 9:43 pm

sanderson wrote:RH,  This is what I made from 1/4" drip lines from DripWorks.  Two lines across each square, each line with 6" spaced emitters.  Is this what you were thinking?
drip systems - Watering Grid - What's your opinion? 4-27-111

Yes, that is closer to what I had in mind.  Mind you, I have no experience - zero - with drip irrigation.  I don't know how much area each emitter is supposed to cover.  I just thought that putting a line right up against the sides of the bed would just wed the sides of the bed without giving much water to the plants.

If, for example, an emitter when run sufficiently long will provide water for 6" on each side of the emitter, it seems that one emitter in the center of each square would be sufficient to water the bed.  No cross pipes would be needed; one would need to provide hose or pipes in only one direction.

I suppose I'm just trolling for more information about drip irrigation.  I haven't invested the time yet to speak intelligently on the subject.  I was just asking about the efficacy of so much pipe at the margins and why the cross pipes are necessary.
rabbithutch
rabbithutch

Male Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterSFG 2/23/2014, 9:45 pm

True, I appreciate the tip. The problem I have with that though is it's very time consuming to make. If I had all the tools I'm sure I could make something similar but the time needed to go out and buy everything, cut the PVC, drill all the holes, and assemble it seems fairly intense compared to the $80 I would spend for the pre-made grid. 

Also apparently you can connect multiples together! Here's a pic

drip systems - Watering Grid - What's your opinion? L_shap10
PeterSFG
PeterSFG

Male Posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/23/2014, 10:01 pm

Crossing the PCV pipes would add stability to the shape. Maybe the pipes around the perimeter are solid and only the 3 and 3 are perforated?? Bob?? I do know that before I started using wood chip mulch, I had dry, hot surfaces. I then made these 6" emitters grids. At first I had the emitters across the ends, next to the wood. I stopped building them that way because I didn't want the wood overly wet, only the growing areas of the MM. Then I quit connecting the far ends so that I could move lines away from garlic when it was time to pull them.

I think gardening is just one experiment after another!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 2/24/2014, 8:32 am

Sometimes we have no reason for what we do and this is the case of my perimeter PVC. I drilled holes in only the 2 inside pipes for each square. I guess if anything, it adds support in moving it around.
bnoles

Male Posts : 804

Back to top Go down

drip systems - Watering Grid - What's your opinion? Empty How big to make the drip holes ???

Post  docachna 3/22/2015, 9:45 am

I just finished putting together grids for one 4' x 4' bed, and three 8' x 4'. I have not yet drilled the drip holes. I am intending to only use holes, and not emitters.

I've read various opinions on number and size of holes to drill. I would love to hear the experience of folks who've "been there, done that" and can expound a little on what they found.

Thanks in advance.
docachna
docachna

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/22/2015, 2:12 pm

Docachna, Welcome to the Forum from California! glad you\'re here

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 3/22/2015, 4:04 pm

bnoles wrote:You may want to consider making your own.

This is exactly what I am in the process of building.  I thought about leaving the perimeter out, but then I realized the inside four squares would get water from 4 sides each, the side squares would get water from 3 sides, and the poor corners would only get water from 2 sides of each square, and the plants right in the outside corner of those squares may not get much.

But I'm just a noob at this, and I haven't really gotten to try it yet.  I may have a totally different opinion by the end of the growing season.

Kate
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 3/22/2015, 7:10 pm

Docachna,
Perhaps make  marks on your pipe work where you think a hole would work well and then only actually make a few holes with a very small drill bit . That way you can add a few more holes if the desired pattern is not met at the first go & if needs be you can increase the hole size rather than whacking in a hole that's too big first time around.

The thing with a fixed grid is that it is exactly that it is fixed so once it's set you can't adjust if some plants  are doing terrific  when others are struggling because of too much water.

My set up is very flexible, and not unduly expensive when compared to a rigid pipe work grid.
  I found that having adjustable micro spray heads on four foot long umbilicals of  1/4 " tube running off time clocked 1/2"  supply tubes. 
Mine can be set as single drips , a small coarse spray  or a fine 2 pints a minute micro spray , it  has been fantastically successful for me .
I simply taped a spray head to a length of kiddies tent pole stick ( 18 inches long x 1/3 " diameter and set the stick in the middle of the bed. One spray head set at a foot high covers the whole of the bed in one go ,  or it can be turned down to cover a little more than a single square foot and also moved around a bed to be placed in /by a more needy square .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 3/22/2015, 8:35 pm

I've toyed with something like that, too, but I'm wondering... Does it take much water pressure for that kind of a setup?  Reason I ask is, my primary water source is rain barrels, and they don't have a lot of flow pressure, like tap water would.

Kate
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/23/2015, 9:39 am

Me too, Kate.  And, of course, as water drains out of our containers, there's less pressure...

Docachna - Welcome to the forum from Atlanta, GA.  I've been to Mt. Juliet.  Nice area!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5601

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 3/23/2015, 5:56 pm

CitizenKate wrote:I've toyed with something like that, too, but I'm wondering... Does it take much water pressure for that kind of a setup?  Reason I ask is, my primary water source is rain barrels, and they don't have a lot of flow pressure, like tap water would.

Kate

Initially I'd say No, they need water pressure and clean filtered water . However if you have access to a safe working handyman  using a pump off FreeCycle such as a Craig's List central heating pump  or the pump out of a dead dishwasher you can pump it up for a few minutes if you use a plug in timer unit .

I seem to recall that you'd need a 20 foot head of water to get around 10 PSI ( best check that figure my brain is not as young as it was 50 years ago ). Some folk actually pump water up into a barrel set in a tree for this purpose .

My  spray units need a minimum  of 9 psi of clean filtered to work effectively as a spray , they  will work as a fast drip with very little pressure .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/24/2015, 12:41 am

I looked at www.dripworks.com and they list the inline drip lines as working at even a low of 10 psi. Yes, Plantoid, that would be an elevation of about 20 feet.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down