Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
SOS! Bleach water drained in my yard and is killing my papaya plant! - Page 2 Toplef10SOS! Bleach water drained in my yard and is killing my papaya plant! - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

SOS! Bleach water drained in my yard and is killing my papaya plant! - Page 2 I22gcj10SOS! Bleach water drained in my yard and is killing my papaya plant! - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
SOS! Bleach water drained in my yard and is killing my papaya plant! - Page 2 Toplef10SOS! Bleach water drained in my yard and is killing my papaya plant! - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

SOS! Bleach water drained in my yard and is killing my papaya plant! - Page 2 I22gcj10SOS! Bleach water drained in my yard and is killing my papaya plant! - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

SOS! Bleach water drained in my yard and is killing my papaya plant!

+9
AtlantaMarie
Marc Iverson
mollyhespra
slimbolen99
sanderson
camprn
littlejo
at2wooden
dstack
13 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

SOS! Bleach water drained in my yard and is killing my papaya plant! - Page 2 Empty Re: SOS! Bleach water drained in my yard and is killing my papaya plant!

Post  dstack 2/1/2014, 10:01 am

I guess my biggest question would be...If the plant lives and produces fruit, would the fruit be safe to eat?
dstack
dstack

Male Posts : 659

Back to top Go down

SOS! Bleach water drained in my yard and is killing my papaya plant! - Page 2 Empty Re: SOS! Bleach water drained in my yard and is killing my papaya plant!

Post  dstack 2/1/2014, 10:34 am

My understanding, (and please correct me if this is incorrect) is that the toxicity of the acid comes from it's extremely low pH level.
dstack
dstack

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/1/2014, 1:34 pm

Yes, from everything I know [or think I remember at this age!!] about biology and chemistry.

I'm so confident that the fruit will be safe to eat that I volunteer as a guinea pig. Please ship me the first ripe fruit. If I drop off this Forum, you know I'm a goner.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack 2/1/2014, 10:07 pm

sanderson wrote:Yes, from everything I know [or think I remember at this age!!] about biology and chemistry.

I'm so confident that the fruit will be safe to eat that I volunteer as a guinea pig.  Please ship me the first ripe fruit.  If I drop off this Forum, you know I'm a goner.
  lol!  I just might do that!  Very Happy
dstack
dstack

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack 2/3/2014, 11:47 am

The patient is in stable condition. Saturday she was transported (transplanted) to a pot, and the prognosis looks good. She may be able to return home (to her place in the ground) in a couple of weeks after the threat of muriatic acid has passed.

SOS! Bleach water drained in my yard and is killing my papaya plant! - Page 2 Recove11

SOS! Bleach water drained in my yard and is killing my papaya plant! - Page 2 Recove12
dstack
dstack

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/3/2014, 1:39 pm

Very Pre-Historic looking! But she lives  cheers 
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack 2/3/2014, 2:05 pm

Yes, this is her with all but the terminal bud's leaves stripped. They were wilted beyond the point of no return.  The top is doing well in the direct sun. We had so much cloud cover and rain last week which was perfect timing for her recovery.  Very Happy
dstack
dstack

Back to top Go down

SOS! Bleach water drained in my yard and is killing my papaya plant! - Page 2 Empty Papaya Update: Finally starting to produce fruit!

Post  dstack 6/20/2015, 11:39 pm

The trunk developed a large hole, so I chopped it , knowing it would sprout branches. I always prune off all but one branch for one main trunk. Since the acid event, it has been about a year and a half to recover from the traumatic experience, but now the leaves are big and beautiful, and she's starting to put out fruit...  finally!   Very Happy

SOS! Bleach water drained in my yard and is killing my papaya plant! - Page 2 Imag0214
SOS! Bleach water drained in my yard and is killing my papaya plant! - Page 2 Imag0215
dstack
dstack

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/21/2015, 1:08 am

What an exotic fruit.  I'm glad she's okay.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 6/21/2015, 1:51 am

Cannot beat home-grown papayas. One of my favorite things on earth, especially when eaten almost immediately. (I like about ten minutes in the freezer to cool them down first.) Hope it stays healthy and gives you some fruits soon!
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 6/21/2015, 8:07 am

Glad to see she's doing so well, DStack!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 6/21/2015, 12:02 pm

I did not read this thread when it started, so now reading it right through  from the start was rather fascinating.

That was rather heroic, dstack, and I am happy for your success. I should imagine that it was so much more satisfactory then being given a replacement by your former neighbour.

How are the new neighbours turning out?  Did you tell them about this incident?
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack 6/21/2015, 1:47 pm

Kelejan wrote:I did not read this thread when it started, so now reading it right through  from the start was rather fascinating.

That was rather heroic, dstack, and I am happy for your success. I should imagine that it was so much more satisfactory then being given a replacement by your former neighbour.

How are the new neighbours turning out?  Did you tell them about this incident?

Yes it is! But the house is still up for sale. We sure hope we get good neighbors! Very Happy
dstack
dstack

Back to top Go down

SOS! Bleach water drained in my yard and is killing my papaya plant! - Page 2 Empty FIRST FRUIT FROM RECOVERED PLANT

Post  dstack 11/6/2015, 4:48 pm

sanderson wrote:Yes, from everything I know [or think I remember at this age!!] about biology and chemistry.

I'm so confident that the fruit will be safe to eat that I volunteer as a guinea pig.  Please ship me the first ripe fruit.  If I drop off this Forum, you know I'm a goner.

Sanderson, I haven't forgotten your offer, and I have the first papaya to send you.  But it's not that I don't believe you that it's safe, but that I want to show my appreciation for all of your help since I started on this forum (September 2013), and helping me with so many issues and my many questions.

SOS! Bleach water drained in my yard and is killing my papaya plant! - Page 2 Imag0510

Sanderson, please PM me with your address, as I'll need to get this in the mail to you before it gets too ripe.   Very Happy
dstack
dstack

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 11/6/2015, 7:35 pm

TRIUMPH! smiles SOS! Bleach water drained in my yard and is killing my papaya plant! - Page 2 2027012869
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/7/2015, 3:08 am

Shocked   Dstack,  That is so sweet of you.  I was just making a funny when I said that.  I'm so happy that she survived and flourished.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 11/10/2015, 8:53 am

Congratulations, DStack!!!!  It looks wonderful.  I hope it tastes great!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 11/11/2015, 12:21 pm

Looking good! Wonder why you picked it so green, though.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 11/11/2015, 12:25 pm

Beautiful! Look at all that fruit! I think that that plant became even stronger than it originally would have been due to fighting off issues from the mishap.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack 11/11/2015, 7:30 pm

Marc Iverson wrote:Looking good!  Wonder why you picked it so green, though.
Because I intended to send it to Sanderson.  And I'll explain in a minute what she and I decided.   Very Happy
dstack
dstack

Back to top Go down

SOS! Bleach water drained in my yard and is killing my papaya plant! - Page 2 Empty FIRST FRUIT FROM RECOVERED PLANT

Post  dstack 11/11/2015, 7:37 pm

Thanks AtlantaMarie and CC!  

I do believe so CC.  BTW, Sanderson and I agreed that the fruit might over-ripen during shipping.  So instead I've sent a package of seeds, and cuttings from my collection instead.  I look forward to seeing how they do in Fresno, CA!  Very Happy 

The fruit is a little smaller than most of my papayas from other plants, and the seeds are smaller than usual too. But it's nice and sweet.   Very Happy

SOS! Bleach water drained in my yard and is killing my papaya plant! - Page 2 Imag0511
SOS! Bleach water drained in my yard and is killing my papaya plant! - Page 2 Imag0512
dstack
dstack

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 11/11/2015, 11:23 pm

What a cool strawberry like color. Looks like the Mexican papayas I've seen. The ones we grew in the tropics were orange inside, and would never have been that dark unless the skin outside were already completely yellow.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/12/2015, 1:04 am

hungry Looks soooo good. I'm looking forward to your care package.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack 11/12/2015, 5:53 am

Marc Iverson wrote:What a cool strawberry like color.  Looks like the Mexican papayas I've seen.  The ones we grew in the tropics were orange inside, and would never have been that dark unless the skin outside were already completely yellow.
I use a potato peeler to remove the skin, and if these are too ripe it makes it very difficult, and it gets very messy.  This was perfect.
dstack
dstack

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 11/12/2015, 7:43 am

What a good idea!  I've been using a knife, but like that better....
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum