Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Protect yourself from skin cancer and pre-cancerous spots - Page 4 Toplef10Protect yourself from skin cancer and pre-cancerous spots - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Protect yourself from skin cancer and pre-cancerous spots - Page 4 I22gcj10Protect yourself from skin cancer and pre-cancerous spots - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Protect yourself from skin cancer and pre-cancerous spots - Page 4 Toplef10Protect yourself from skin cancer and pre-cancerous spots - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Protect yourself from skin cancer and pre-cancerous spots - Page 4 I22gcj10Protect yourself from skin cancer and pre-cancerous spots - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Protect yourself from skin cancer and pre-cancerous spots

+19
Judy McConnell
trolleydriver
OhioGardener
plantoid
yolos
MrBooker
BeetlesPerSqFt
GWN
AtlantaMarie
kauairosina
rabbithutch
audrey.jeanne.roberts
mollyhespra
Goosegirl
llama momma
sceleste54
donnainzone5
southern gardener
sanderson
23 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Protect yourself from skin cancer and pre-cancerous spots - Page 4 Empty Re: Protect yourself from skin cancer and pre-cancerous spots

Post  yolos 6/11/2019, 10:51 pm

countrynaturals wrote:
yolos wrote:The shoulder wasn't bad but the ankle is a big problem.  The cut is right where the ankle bends (connects to the foot) and every time I take a step it pulls on the stitches.
YIKES! No fun at all! Would one of those scooter things help that people prop their bad foot on to get around when crutches and wheel chairs aren't practical?
It wasn't so bad.  For the first day or two I just had to figure out how to walk without lifting or bending my foot.  My solution was to walk backward and drag my foot.  It worked around the house but not so good outside.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Protect yourself from skin cancer and pre-cancerous spots - Page 4 Empty Re: Protect yourself from skin cancer and pre-cancerous spots

Post  sanderson 6/12/2019, 2:34 am

VJ, The nose and forehead! Yikes! Shocked Did you have more removed from your forehead? When is your next appointment?

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21487

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/12/2019, 5:13 am

Joke, but no joke. Very Happy

Protect yourself from skin cancer and pre-cancerous spots - Page 4 Joke_s10

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  VJ72584 6/13/2019, 1:14 pm

I went back just before Easter and it looks good around that scar, so he said I could wait 3 months or so and check it again.  He said if it came back it would be in the same area.  That spot is between my eyes just above the eyebrow.  The place that looks new is directly between the eyes at the top of my nose.  I seriously don't want more cutting on my face. Sad

I guess I am lucky that they are basal cell and not melanoma. 

Virginia
VJ72584
VJ72584

Female Posts : 99

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 1/8/2020, 12:18 pm

Had 3 more growths removed from the face and arm week before last, and today the report came back that 2 were cancer and one was pre-cancerous. Have to go back in and have more surrounding tissue removed now. All these years later, paying the price for all of the summers of my youth spent working in the fields with no shirt and no sunscreen (don't remember even hearing about sunscreen in the 1950's). 

Remember, when working your gardens to wear protective clothing and sunscreen. And, don't delay getting checked for any skin abnormalities you see developing.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4460

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 1/8/2020, 12:28 pm

OhioGardener wrote:Had 3 more growths removed from the face and arm week before last, and today the report came back that 2 were cancer and one was pre-cancerous. Have to go back in and have more surrounding tissue removed now. All these years later, paying the price for all of the summers of my youth spent working in the fields with no shirt and no sunscreen (don't remember even hearing about sunscreen in the 1950's). 

Remember, when working your gardens to wear protective clothing and sunscreen. And, don't delay getting checked for any skin abnormalities you see developing.
My hubby has been there, done that. His followup appointment is tomorrow. No fun for either of you! Sad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 1/8/2020, 5:31 pm

You are right, CN, not fun at all!  Fortunately, though, it is not as troubling as the surgeries that were necessary to remove the internal organs that developed cancer years ago. Hopefully, there won't be any more of those experiences.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 1/8/2020, 7:37 pm

OhioGardener wrote:You are right, CN, not fun at all!  Fortunately, though, it is not as troubling as the surgeries that were necessary to remove the internal organs that developed cancer years ago. Hopefully, there won't be any more of those experiences.
OUCH! BIG hug  for all you had to go through. Hopefully, NEVER AGAIN!
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 1/10/2020, 8:49 pm

OhioGardener wrote:Had 3 more growths removed from the face and arm week before last, and today the report came back that 2 were cancer and one was pre-cancerous.

Which side of your body? I had 3 places treated this year. All on the left side. The doctors and nurses nod knowingly. Apparently our left side gets more sun exposure, the theory goes, thanks to the driver seat in our cars being on the left. If that's the case, at least for me, then it isn't about all the sunburns I got as a kid since most serious commuting didn't begin until the twenties.
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 1/10/2020, 11:18 pm

markqz wrote:
OhioGardener wrote:Had 3 more growths removed from the face and arm week before last, and today the report came back that 2 were cancer and one was pre-cancerous.

Which side of your body? I had 3 places treated this year. All on the left side. The doctors and nurses nod knowingly. Apparently our left side gets more sun exposure, the theory goes, thanks to the driver seat in our cars being on the left. If that's the case, at least for me, then it isn't about all the sunburns I got as a kid since most serious commuting didn't begin until the twenties.
Mine are also mostly on the left side but i don't really think it is from driving.  I was raised water skiing every day of every weekend when growing up.  Also every summer while I was in college I was a lifeguard and swimming instructor.  In high school I was on the swimming team every summer.  Lots of sun and no suntan lotion of any kind.  Well maybe when I was a lifeguard we used baby oil with iodine in the oil to help us tan.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/11/2020, 2:15 am

OG, I'm sorry about having to go back for further removal. The sins of our youth coming home to roost.

Yikes to your prior abdominal surgery for cancer. Shocked

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 1/11/2020, 7:57 am

Mine have been in various locations, Mark, and not just the left side. There have been more on the right side of the face and right arm than the left, but not just on one side. One was in the middle of the back, right between the shoulder blades.

Early Detection & Treatment is the most important thing in dealing with cancer. I have been very fortunate that all of mine to date were been treatable by surgery, and surgery techniques have improved dramatically in recent years.  Just Get Checked Out!

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Protect yourself from skin cancer and pre-cancerous spots - Page 4 Empty Sunshine is NOT your friend.

Post  MrBooker 5/4/2021, 9:59 am

I have been fighting Basal cell carcinoma skin cancer for over 35 years and now I have squamous cell carcinoma and it's all caused from the sun. Most gardeners already know of the damage the sun can cause on your skin. I'm just saying.... PROTECT yourself from too much sun on your skin.

As far as my garden is doing. We've a cold spring this year and planting was delayed awhile.
  So far, all I have planted is 4 tomatoes, 6 Peppers, some potatoes and Onions. My neighbors jumped the gun and planted a lot of Tomatoes and lost them all due to frost.
MrBooker
MrBooker

Male Posts : 734

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 5/4/2021, 10:07 am

Good advice, Mr. B! I grew up on a farm, and spent many day working fields, baling hay, etc., and getting much more sun on my skin than is ever good for it. Now, all these years later, I am dealing with squamous cell carcinoma. The dermatologist told me the damage I did to my skin as a teenager is now surfacing. The first basal cell showed up way back in 1985, and now they are removing squamous cells on nearly every 6-month checkup.
Wear that sunscreen!

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 5/4/2021, 10:30 am

OhioGardener wrote:Good advice, Mr. B! I grew up on a farm, and spent many day working fields, baling hay, etc., and getting much more sun on my skin than is ever good for it. Now, all these years later, I am dealing with squamous cell carcinoma. The dermatologist told me the damage I did to my skin as a teenager is now surfacing. The first basal cell showed up way back in 1985, and now they are removing squamous cells on nearly every 6-month checkup.
Wear that sunscreen!
  This is my first squamous cell carcinoma and it's inside of my ear just above the lobe. Going in for "MOHS" surgery next week. They're telling me to be prepared to stay all day.

I've been wearing long sleeve shirts and a wide brim cowboy hat for many years now but the damage is already done from my childhood plus, I'm fair skinned and red headed, the most susceptible.
MrBooker
MrBooker

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 5/4/2021, 10:50 am

Yep, when the sun comes up, the SPF 30 goes on.

The sun is also not your eyes' friend. So be sure to get those sunglasses or wrap-arounds on too!
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Hip2B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/4/2021, 12:01 pm

I was a lifeguard back in the day—before SPF was a thing!  Now I use it all the time...
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8682

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 5/4/2021, 3:20 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:I was a lifeguard back in the day—before SPF was a thing!  Now I use it all the time...
Remember, Our parents always said, "Go outside and play. The sunshine is GOOD for you".  They had good intentions but they just didn't know.
MrBooker
MrBooker

Scorpio Rising likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 5/4/2021, 7:57 pm

MrBooker wrote:Remember, Our parents always said, "Go outside and play. The sunshine is GOOD for you".  They had good intentions but they just didn't know.

That, and 70 years ago we never heard of sunscreen. Even later when we went off to military service during the Viet Nam war, the military did not issue any type of sunscreen for the troops out in the sun all day long. We've learned a lot in the past 50 years or so.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/4/2021, 8:14 pm

I was a life guard.  Swim teacher.  Competed in kayaking and canoeing, and majored in Physical Education.  So I was constantly in the sun.  I now go to the dermatologist every 3 months.  She takes off at least 5 suspicious moles every time I go.  At least one of the five is a problem and has to be cut out deeper.  But I have had a few moles removed that were pre-cancerous but never saw the light of day.  So part of my problem is hereditary.  All of my brothers and sisters have the same problem.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/8/2021, 2:02 am

Mr. Booker, I merged your new thread with this older thread. Thank you for sharing your situation and reminding us of the need to take care of our skin.

Wishing you a successful MOHS surgery.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/18/2022, 3:15 am

Funny, but also serious.

It's that time of the year when the sun is at its highest in the Northern Hemisphere.  Protect your skin and eyes.
Protect yourself from skin cancer and pre-cancerous spots - Page 4 Meme_s15

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Hip2B likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 6/18/2022, 8:59 am

Timely post!  I just had some more per-cancerous spot frozen off a few days ago.  Regular checkups are very important.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

sanderson and Scorpio Rising like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4