Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
drip systems - 2014 N&C Midwest - What are you changing for this year? - Page 2 Toplef10drip systems - 2014 N&C Midwest - What are you changing for this year? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

drip systems - 2014 N&C Midwest - What are you changing for this year? - Page 2 I22gcj10drip systems - 2014 N&C Midwest - What are you changing for this year? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
drip systems - 2014 N&C Midwest - What are you changing for this year? - Page 2 Toplef10drip systems - 2014 N&C Midwest - What are you changing for this year? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

drip systems - 2014 N&C Midwest - What are you changing for this year? - Page 2 I22gcj10drip systems - 2014 N&C Midwest - What are you changing for this year? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

2014 N&C Midwest - What are you changing for this year?

+11
2SooCrew
slimbolen99
Marc Iverson
ETNRedClay
R&R 1011
landarch
walshevak
boffer
sanderson
jmsieglaff
Goosegirl
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

drip systems - 2014 N&C Midwest - What are you changing for this year? - Page 2 Empty Re: 2014 N&C Midwest - What are you changing for this year?

Post  Goosegirl 1/22/2014, 7:49 am

Ah, 20 new beds - the stuff of dreams! We look forward to hearing and seeing how the expansion goes for you, Slim!

I am definitely adding more flowers and herbs this year. My asparagus bed is being turned into a Pollinator Paradise, as the phlox won't leave the box alone. Adding Love Lies Bleeding to it, along with some lower flowers for some contrast. I have 2 narrow beds (1x4 and 1x6) that were flowers last year, may be flowers and garlic this year. Moving my spiral herb garden back near the compost pile, and putting down pavers to make the old herb garden (edged by the narrow boxes) a small patio and reading spot study . Trying orach this year instead of spinach to see if I have better success. Also making a self-watering planter for indoor lettuce cut & come again. This I can plant NOW to ward off the itch to start all my tomatoes, peppers, and such too early! drip systems - 2014 N&C Midwest - What are you changing for this year? - Page 2 950477 If it works, I will attempt a few more self-watering planters for some indoor herbs.  

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

drip systems - 2014 N&C Midwest - What are you changing for this year? - Page 2 Empty Re: 2014 N&C Midwest - What are you changing for this year?

Post  slimbolen99 1/22/2014, 8:52 am

Well, only five of the beds are for vegetables -- the rest for herbs and flowers...hopefully we can find enough compost for the right price, and enough help to haul it from the driveway to the backyard.
slimbolen99
slimbolen99

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 1/23/2014, 1:36 am

Wow, it's not just that you're talking 20 beds, but 4 x 8! 640 square feet ... that's a mini-farm! What a wonderful abundance of stuff you'll have! I guess we know one person who is going to have lots of bees around this year ...
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  jmsieglaff 1/25/2014, 5:01 pm

Theory turned into reality today.......first 2014 change, starting onions from seed.  Sowed my copra seeds today!  And with another blast of -20F on the way.
jmsieglaff
jmsieglaff

Male Posts : 253

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/25/2014, 8:45 pm

-20* Burrrr
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  2SooCrew 1/26/2014, 7:06 am

Great info in this forum!

I'm going with a hoop house and I'm told that if I start my seeds indoors with a grow light I will be able to move them in the hoop house by April !

Trying hard to keep the snow off the roof! Very Happy
2SooCrew
2SooCrew

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 1/26/2014, 11:50 am

Eliminate kohlrabi; i liked it but it took a lot of real estate for the yield.  I would like to try zucchini/yellow squash again, maybe potatoes which I find intriguing.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  elysia 1/26/2014, 2:56 pm

No cauliflower nor broc this year - plants did well from seed and got huge but produced very little.  Onions, lettuce, and spinach out this year - hasn't seemed worth it the last two and want the space for other things...like peppers - no fatalii peppers this year and fewer aurora pepper plants.  The choc beauties, anchos, and santé fe were so much more useable.  Going to try some hot Portugals too...

Ground cherries - we mistook these for being a novelty (shame on us!) and as such they were relegated to a potted existence.  We got just enough fruit to make sure they have a serious place in the garden this year!  What a treat it was to experience a food and flavor that I have NEVER, EVER had before.  Really yummie! 

Salsify!  Does anyone have any experience with the "vegetable oyster"?  I find it intriguing but perhaps it is just a novelty?

Will do squash this year -especially the scallop variety.  We got absolutely addicted to thinly sliced scallop squash (from the farmer's market) tossed with some olive oil, salt and pepper.  Once our thai basil matured we added that to the mix and truly had a salad straight from Shangri-La! 

Need to figure out where I will cultivate my seedlings - space used previously was commandeered for year-round usefulness - with three curious "helper" kitties and an unheated garage I am not sure what we will come up with... 

Endeavor to get a drip irrigation system in place so we can get out of town for the weekend a few times this summer.

Tried to make this post succinct but am just so excited for "round three" of my garden experiment!  Especially with the cold, wind, and snow outside!   BURRR!!   bounce
elysia
elysia

Female Posts : 76

Back to top Go down

drip systems - 2014 N&C Midwest - What are you changing for this year? - Page 2 Empty Drip irrigation

Post  2SooCrew 1/26/2014, 3:41 pm

I used old milk jugs  filled them with water yand put a very small hole in them then placed them on the edge and they worked well - but I was only gone 2 days
2SooCrew
2SooCrew

Back to top Go down

Post  elysia 1/26/2014, 4:25 pm

Good idea.  I will have to give that a try.   I have used like liter soda bottles but did not have much success and they are not high enough capacity...
elysia
elysia

Female Posts : 76

Back to top Go down

Post  MB3 2/10/2014, 12:22 am

still bouncing ideas around, but 

1)earlier start... last year i started late and had to direct sow everything around May.  all things considered, I did okay despite this, some things more than others, that is.  no peppers came up for me, but I traded for plenty at least.

2)I think I may be scaling up tomatoes this year, focusing on heirlooms (which I hope come in the mail as returns from trades I have sent off, as well as some gifts to me).

3) more greens 

4) more herbs

5) more companion plants (if I can get some in trades)

6) better organization, less crowding 

7) more root vegies of all types

Cool no corn?  I also had little output from my corn compared to space, but perhaps if I use them in a three sisters tek?... but likely not since this entails squash....

9) no squash and pumpkin (or cucs or melons)?  they take up a huge amount of space with lots of vines and huge leaves that cover a ton of ground, all for little fruit.  the cantaloupe wasn't even very good, and I had so few cucs it wasn't worth pickling (and I don't care for raw cucs much, I really only like them pickled).

10) beans are another space killer with little payoff for me, but less so than the 2 above.

my space should be measured in square inches, so space needs maximized.

revisions to come Smile
MB3
MB3

Male Posts : 17

http://ghettogardening.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

drip systems - 2014 N&C Midwest - What are you changing for this year? - Page 2 Empty changes

Post  landarch 2/11/2014, 9:56 am

have to change everything...the city is doing a 2-year street project and my SFG's are in the right-of-way (my sunniest spot is right along the street in the front yard).  I'll need to move my Mels mix, move the boxes, new weed barrier, re-install everything a few feet away.  Not sure how my garlic will transplant.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 2/11/2014, 10:52 am

Landarch you've got your hands full just to move things over a few feet. Ouch. 

I have to remake just about all the critter cages, the 1" x 2" wood base lasted 3 years or less.  Been mulling the idea of using conduit with elbows as a base, like the original trellis material.  And a very simple gizmo to secure the base to the top of the bed so wind doesn't blow it off.  Anyone want
to brainstorm I'd appreciate your thoughts. Pvc doesn't sound durable enough for long term sun exposure.

Promised myself that a new bed, number 10 is the final expansion for this 2 person family.  I've reached my level of energy and interest to make the compost necessary to support the beds and the other non sq ft. areas of the yard.

Streamline what is grown instead of wanting to try everything.   What a Face
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  R&R 1011 2/11/2014, 12:55 pm

llama momma wrote:Landarch you've got your hands full just to move things over a few feet. Ouch. 

I have to remake just about all the critter cages, the 1" x 2" wood base lasted 3 years or less.  Been mulling the idea of using conduit with elbows as a base, like the original trellis material.  And a very simple gizmo to secure the base to the top of the bed so wind doesn't blow it off.  Anyone want
to brainstorm I'd appreciate your thoughts. Pvc doesn't sound durable enough for long term sun exposure.

Promised myself that a new bed, number 10 is the final expansion for this 2 person family.  I've reached my level of energy and interest to make the compost necessary to support the beds and the other non sq ft. areas o f the yard.

Streamline what is grown instead of wanting to try everything.   What a Face

LM- You could use something as simple as zip ties to connect your cage to conduit.

Im starting beginners bee classes next week, so thats a new change for the year. Smile
R&R 1011
R&R 1011

Female Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 2/11/2014, 3:03 pm

Good luck with the bee classes.  Love the concept of owning bees.  Can't get over my fear of them.  When Autumn arrived I could see the neighbors yards better and discovered a second neighbor with bee hives.  No wonder I saw so many bees last summer.

The zip ties are what I plan to use and the price looked better over at Big Lots too.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 2/11/2014, 5:02 pm

my boxes are under a foot of snow...may have to dig them out to move them...hopefully the frames are not frozen to the ground.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum