Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mid-Atl: Great weather in December! Toplef10Mid-Atl: Great weather in December! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mid-Atl: Great weather in December! I22gcj10Mid-Atl: Great weather in December! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mid-Atl: Great weather in December! Toplef10Mid-Atl: Great weather in December! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mid-Atl: Great weather in December! I22gcj10Mid-Atl: Great weather in December! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mid-Atl: Great weather in December!

+4
floyd1440
jimmy cee
sanderson
sfg4uKim
8 posters

Go down

Mid-Atl: Great weather in December! Empty Mid-Atl: Great weather in December!

Post  sfg4uKim 12/21/2013, 5:08 pm

I hope the rest of you are having a great weather day.  It's a bit windy here but WARM! Did anyone else get out in the garden today?

Stupidly I overdid it but accomplished a LOT. After the broken hand this summer and physical therapy, I had a fibromyalgia flare up then life got nuts, so I didn't get to my fall cleanup chores.

Things are now (mostly) organized. I finished up the makeshift hoop house since the greenhouse never got built, put shelving up in it so I can start seeds soon (want to have some stuff to show at the Maryland Home & Garden Show in early March), cleaned the back deck and made space to bring the salad table up on it.

I moved some bags of Mel's Mix around the house - they were extra heavy since they had gotten wet. Then I hoisted them into the "grave yard" - an area I had to fence in so my Beagle doesn't get at it. This is where I'm experimenting with a Back to Eden Garden. If you've never heard of it, there's a thread on the Forum about it.

Tomorrow I'd like to work on my medicinal herb "island" but I'm not quite sure what I want to do. I hope to work a little on starting a small Hugelkultur area to get a head start on spring, and maybe make & seed some soil blocks. 

Well I just checked the weather and while it's going to be WARM, it's also supposed to rain in the early afternoon. SOOOOO depending how I feel, tomorrow might just be a get up early, catch church online, sit with the laptop and PLAN kinda day. 

I'm feeling kinda achy right now and heading up to take an Epsom salt and baking soda bath.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Mid-Atl: Great weather in December! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Mid-Atl: Great weather in December! Empty Re: Mid-Atl: Great weather in December!

Post  sanderson 12/21/2013, 5:16 pm

"I'm feeling kinda achy right now and heading up to take an Epsom salt and baking soda bath."

Does it really help?
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Mid-Atl: Great weather in December! Empty Re: Mid-Atl: Great weather in December!

Post  sfg4uKim 12/21/2013, 7:58 pm

I believe it does.

You hear a lot about detox baths and while I feel it might help, I had to research it further.

Dr. Rosemary Waring has shown that the magnesium in Epsom salt indeed is absorbed by the skin (it shows up in the blood and urine). Magnesium is known to help with pain and also improves sleep.

Baking soda is great for softening and exfoliating the skin and helps soften the water.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Mid-Atl: Great weather in December! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 12/21/2013, 11:08 pm

With all our snow gone, I put on my boots today and walked out to the compost pile.
1 needs to be turned and another needs to be started, have boxes of old veggies just itching to heat up.
There was so much mud I had to quit, now I must wait till it all freezes again, then I'll just say "heck with it all" and wait till spring when it is dry.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 12/22/2013, 7:39 am

jimmy cee wrote:With all our snow gone, I put on my boots today and walked out to the compost pile.
1 needs to be turned and another needs to be started, have boxes of old veggies just itching to heat up.
There was so much mud I had to quit, now I must wait till it all freezes again, then I'll just say "heck with it all" and wait till spring when it is dry.

I tried that approach to my compost pile last February when it warmed up.  Huge mistake as the contents were wet, heavy, and it took a long time to turn the pile. 

Now I just let mother nature due the hard work as the constant freezing and thawing brakes down the leaves and grass clipping and I don't bother with it till May or June.
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 12/22/2013, 12:54 pm

I was out playing in my compost pile today. I just putz around in the top mostly. It helps that I laid a lot of oak & maple leaves around it in the fall to walk on when things get muddy. I had lots of kitchen scraps and a garbage bag of shredded office paper this morning so poured it all on and used compost from one of the ends at the bottom to top it off. It was quite pliable.

What do you folks do with your kitchen scraps over the winter when you can't get out there?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/22/2013, 1:50 pm

After reading the last few threads perhaps in Mel's next ANSFG book he should make the first page of making your own compost to read in big letters ...  " Make your heap so it has a decent all weather path /area to the front so you can work the heap when it's wet and muddy "

I don't have any problems all my compost bins are on  a4 "  thick slab of smoothed  concrete
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 12/22/2013, 2:12 pm

I dont live in the Mid-Atlantic region, but in the winter time I do usually make a path and maintain access through the snow to the compost pile.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Mid-Atl: Great weather in December! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 12/22/2013, 2:29 pm

Once the snow flies and the ground is frozen solid all composting activity on my part is DONE! Anything happening under the white blanket is all that is happening. I don't even add to it in the winter, as the bins are to the northeast and usually get drifted in regularly.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/22/2013, 4:17 pm

I have a small back yard so every thing is pretty accessible by a walkway or pavers.  I've been putting my kitchen scraps in a cage of dry, clean chopped leaves.  I lift up the edge of the plastic tarp, lift up the little bundle and pour in the scraps.  There is definitely some fermentation going on under the little bundle because of our relatively mild winters.
Mid-Atl: Great weather in December! West_s19
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 12/22/2013, 4:34 pm

Hey folks, how's the weather down the coast today?

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Mid-Atl: Great weather in December! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 12/22/2013, 6:03 pm

OOOOHHHHH I love cementing
If I had my way there wouldn't be any thing in my yard but cement, and if I had my way I wouldn't be living here either....
I had to get rid of my cement mixer, hardest thing I ever let go.
If I kept it I would have lost my marriage...LOL,,,,,<<<Where I am composting is way in the back, behind my beds, next to 2 sheds, under giant oak trees.
No way to keep it from mudding up in wet weather.
I love it all anyway..
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum