Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
2 - California - What are you doing this month? Toplef102 - California - What are you doing this month? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

2 - California - What are you doing this month? I22gcj102 - California - What are you doing this month? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
2 - California - What are you doing this month? Toplef102 - California - What are you doing this month? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

2 - California - What are you doing this month? I22gcj102 - California - What are you doing this month? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

California - What are you doing this month?

+29
jan76
GWN
Gardening Barbie
Turan
Judy McConnell
Kelejan
rillgardens
68carguy
FamilyGardening
yolos
walshevak
mazzy
CapeCoddess
Rosbelle
AtlantaMarie
llama momma
PNG_Grandma
paul_vanderwerf
ehaffner1
boffer
kauairosina
Goosegirl
Marc Iverson
Yardslave
Mary429
camprn
audrey.jeanne.roberts
keepercjr
sanderson
33 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

2 - California - What are you doing this month? Empty California - What are you doing this month?

Post  sanderson 11/9/2013, 4:42 pm

Here in the Fresno area, we are having glorious fall weather, sunny in the day and 40-ish at night.  The leaves are falling.  I used to hate falling leaves, nasty clean-up before the rain (if we get it).  Now I am gathering each and every little Pistachio leaf for next year's compost!  Well, not on the sidewalk side of our fence where people let their dogs visit, but everywhere else.

Our Region stretches from Bakersfield at the south end of the San Joaquin Valley north to shy of the Oregon border, and from the west Pacific coast to the Sierra Mountain foothills.  That means a lot of micro-climates and first frost dates (and some areas without frost!!).

I would love to hear from more folks in this Region.  It seems Audrey and I are the only frequent posters.  Opps, there may be others but I'm still on my second cup of coffee. reading   I really slept in this morning!  Embarassed   Please post your successes and failures, plus photos.  Maybe if more in this Region started posting, some of the Northern Cal Visitors will join the Forum.  ??  Very Happy

Last edited by sanderson on 5/15/2019, 3:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Editted title to include all of California 5-14-19)
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

2 - California - What are you doing this month? Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  keepercjr 11/9/2013, 9:22 pm

I live in Fresno too.  I got some garlic, broccoli and lettuce in so far.  This is my first time doing garlic.  I bought it from the seller at the Vineyard farmer's market so I know it is good for our area.  My monster tomato plants seem to have caught a second wind and have lots of green fruit on them (from small to large).  I'm hoping the frost holds off long enough for them to mature.  I will plant some more broccoli in another week or 2 and am waiting for cauliflower.  Oh I did sew some carrot and beet seeds and I am still waiting on those to appear.
keepercjr
keepercjr

Female Posts : 67

Back to top Go down

2 - California - What are you doing this month? Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 11/9/2013, 11:44 pm

We should meet for lunch some time! 3 of us within close driving distance, that's fun.

I'll show some pictures maybe tomorrow. My lettuce is doing really well, and Kale, beets, cabbage and I forget what other seedlings I have going.

I have beautiful tomatoes like you, they're just starting to turn a little a little golden so I should start harvesting Romas again in the next week or so. If it freezes, you can harvest the green tomatoes and let them ripen indoors. I had tomatoes until Late Jan. last year.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/10/2013, 12:21 am

Keeperjr,  What part of town do you live?  Are you in the City?  I'm at Maple and Teague.  Please post some photos!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  keepercjr 11/10/2013, 11:54 am

I live just south of Fresno State in a former county island. I have lots of room to garden Smile

Lunch sometime sounds fun!
keepercjr
keepercjr

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 11/11/2013, 8:14 pm

Okay, I'm glad you had this thread as I hadn't taken recent pictures of the garden and like to do that for reference next year (helps me remember what things were growing like in November). 

2 - California - What are you doing this month? <a href=" />2 - California - What are you doing this month? <a href=2 - California - What are you doing this month? 11-11-13a_zps8c14087e
This is my seedlings started a little over a month ago:  Collards, cabbage, lemon balm and four seasons lettuce.

2 - California - What are you doing this month? 11-11-13b_zps77117d1b
volunteer tomatoes, cilantro, more lettuce and spinach, peas and red romaine lettuce.  I've been harvesting baby leaves and these were just harvested today.  They've actually grown quite a lot. 

2 - California - What are you doing this month? 11-11-13c_zpsda92ffc7
far back corner, purple bush beans which are harvesting quite nicely right now.  Cherry tomato, Japanese eggplant, red mini bell peppers (volunteers from Costco mini three color bell peppers), beets, lettuce (can you tell we love our salads?!), swiss chard, red hot peppers and tomatoes.

2 - California - What are you doing this month? 11-11-13d_zps40623dbe In the back a lemon cucumber that looks bad but is still producing pretty regularly, basil, tomatoes, acorn squash. 

2 - California - What are you doing this month? 11-11-13e_zps021c1b29
Left to right, front to back:  orange mini bell peppers - volunteer, golden beets seedlings, radishes, butternut squash, eggplant standard variety in the center, kale, cherry tomatoes. That's it for the greenhouse.

2 - California - What are you doing this month? 11-11-13f_zpsecb05b48
Strawberries, mixed all season varieties.  We added the gutters to root the runners.  I'll plant those runners elsewhere next spring. 

2 - California - What are you doing this month? 11-11-13g_zps2f328b13
front left, green spring onions planted last winter from a bunch bought in the store.  They root super easily and I like using them for my salsa as they're mild onions.  Lots of lettuce in here.  Orange mini-bell peppers, another butternut squash (it won't make it though), a siberian short season tomato, kentucky wonder green beans, beets, and a pumpkin I just pulled out today. 

Sounds like a lot when you write it all down, doesn't feel like that much when you harvest a bit every day though :-)
Audrey
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/12/2013, 2:01 am

Audrey,  thanks for the update photos.  You've got to be super happy with that hot house.  Keeper,  Can you post some photos, also?
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  keepercjr 11/12/2013, 3:33 pm

Nice! I lost all my squash and pumpkin plants to cucumber mosaic virus. I had no idea what was wrong with them and finally figured it out. I had never seen anything like it before in my garden and it was pretty sad but at least I know for the future to pull anything that starts looking like that ASAP! Adding to the pain was that I probably spread it to each plant by cutting off leaves that were heavy with spider mites.

I'll take some pictures today.
keepercjr
keepercjr

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 11/12/2013, 3:38 pm

Bummer.... I haven't encountered that disease, I'll file a note in my pea-brain to try to look it up and be prepared if I see it.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  keepercjr 11/12/2013, 7:32 pm

Here are my photos from today:

My whole garden - I have 8 boxes in total and all but one are 4x2.  The garden is in a side yard of my house.  To the right of the picture I have a shed and a bunch of fruit trees.
2 - California - What are you doing this month? IMG_3980

2 pepper plants that I decided not to pull yet.  I pulled everything else out of that bed but have not amended it yet.
2 - California - What are you doing this month? IMG_3981

Some young broccoli in front and in the back I have 4 squares of garlic
2 - California - What are you doing this month? IMG_3982

Just 1 square of lettuce so far but it is amended and ready for whatever (broccoli or cauliflower probably)
2 - California - What are you doing this month? IMG_3983

This bed has some older broccoli (eaten up by the caterpillars but still going!), 1 kale, some lettuce and some sugar snap peas that are just sprouting
2 - California - What are you doing this month? IMG_3984

1 carrot, 1 lettuce (there is another one just sprouting) and 1 of my monster tomatoes (celebrity) that came into a second wind.  It was a poor producer but when I pulled out my mosaic virus infected zucchini that was in here next to it, it took off.  I have direct seeded some beets and more carrots but nothing seems to be sprouting.  Maybe not enough surface moisture
2 - California - What are you doing this month? IMG_3985

This is my other moster tomato bed.  I think there are 3 still going strong in here but it is hard to tell.  They are so big that they knocked over my trellis.  There is also a pepper plant in here somewhere but my chickens stripped the leaves off of it (it is coming back to life).  I wasn't feeling well for a lot of the later part of summer so I wasn't out there pruning the tomato plants like I had been earlier.
2 - California - What are you doing this month? IMG_3987

The bed in front has a pepper (again, stripped), an eggplant and some carnation plants.  Here you can see my cattle panel trellis that I grow my squash and pumpkins on.  I did get a nice harvest of spaghetti squash and 1 sugar pie pumpkin before the virus destroyed everything.  The bed in the back has some overgrown herbs (oregano, thyme and stevia).
2 - California - What are you doing this month? IMG_3986

another view of the back bed
2 - California - What are you doing this month? IMG_3988

I guess that is it! I have 2 4x4 beds in the shed that I got as a closeout at costco and will eventually put out but my problem is enough compost for the mels mix. I have a 3 bin system now but I don't always keep up with it. Now with the falling leaves I should get some good compost going for the spring.
keepercjr
keepercjr

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 11/12/2013, 9:33 pm

Nice layout. That's quite a good sized side yard.

Isn't it ALWAYS the compost?! LOL! You can never have enough. I have a trash can full right now and a second batch in process, but I want to develop another Back to Eden (BTE) bed on my hillside and I need 2-4 inches of compost prior to putting the 6 inches of wood chips I want to put down to break down over the winter.

My tomatoes look just like yours, beautiful and healthy and falling all over the ground. I had a lot of volunteer tomatoes and used standard tomato cages on them. They just weren't up to the task. Next year I'm going to make super heavy duty cages. I haven't gotten the hang of pruning my romas. I want to do better next year so I don't have so much greenery and so so amounts of fruit.

Suggestions?
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/13/2013, 12:49 am

keepercjr,  What a wonderful, large side yard.  Even room for a 3 bin compost system.  I am so jealous!  I see you made Mel chicken wire cages!  If you wrap tulle cloth over the wire, you can protect broccoli, cabbage, etc. next spring from green worms/white butterfly.  I love the cattle panel.  I can't wait to see it sometime.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  keepercjr 11/13/2013, 11:17 am

Due to living in a former county island my lot is .4 acres.  I love all the space.  I just wish my house was a little closer to the street to give me even more space Smile 

Funny about covering the chicken wire cages - I have material I bought at the fabric store.  I was just too lazy and feeling unwell to actually take the 5 minutes to put it on.  So the broccoli got chewed up but it seems ok and is forming some small heads now.  The chickens trying to eat it through the cage didn't help either.  I have kicked the chickens out now (There is a fence separating the side yard from the main backyard) so I could uncover the larger broccoli plants. 

Audrey - I have never pruned my determinate varieties.  I really like the green tomato stake "cage" that you can see in one of my pictures.  They are pretty tall and you add on the sides as necessary.  That is what I use for my determinates.  I usually grow about 10 varieties (or more) of tomatoes and try to keep the dets. to a minimum but do grow a few each year. I have never had much luck with romas but I keep trying Smile
keepercjr
keepercjr

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 11/13/2013, 12:18 pm

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:   I haven't gotten the hang of pruning my romas.  I want to do better next year so I  don't have so much greenery and so so amounts of fruit.

Suggestions?
As you may know, Roma is the variety of tomato, a type of plum/sauce tomato as opposed to a beefsteak type. Are you positive it is a roma, if that is the case, they are determinate and not ideal for pruning, requiring a larger space for growing.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

2 - California - What are you doing this month? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 11/13/2013, 12:53 pm

camprn wrote:
audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:   I haven't gotten the hang of pruning my romas.  I want to do better next year so I  don't have so much greenery and so so amounts of fruit.

Suggestions?
As you may know, Roma is the variety of tomato, a type of plum/sauce tomato as opposed to a beefsteak type. Are you positive it is a roma, if that is the case, they are determinate and not ideal for pruning, requiring a larger space for growing.
Positive it's Roma, they've been wonderful.  I love them on salads, I don't make sauce with them.  However, I have so much that is green fruit just getting ready to ripen, I may be harvesting before our frost that I may ripen them on the counter and make sauce out of them.

I didn't remember that you don't prune determinate, so much to fit in my little head, LOL!  I do prune my cherry tomatoes and train them to climb.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/13/2013, 2:01 pm

I trained my Roma to grow vertically due to space limitations.  I pruned the suckers for about the first 5 feet, then main stem and 2 large suckers reached over 8 feet tall, up into the sunshine in that corner of the yard.  No pruning after the 5' mark.  The side benefit was that the mockingbirds ate the tomato worms!!  That was the neatest thing to watch.  Very Happy
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/11/2014, 4:11 pm

2 - California - What are you doing this month? Empty  audrey.jeanne.roberts Today at 10:03
sanderson wrote:I have to agree that vertical growing is easier to to spray all over. [and all over me!]  The strongest solution I used was Neem so it's not the end of the world.  I just need a shower afterwards so I wait until sundown to do it.

Side note, Audrey, when do you start and set your melons and winter squash seedlings?  I am so excited to start all of my seedlings.  2 - California - What are you doing this month? Icon_bounce
Audry replied:

A lot of mine were volunteers that started themselves and I simply put them where I could find space, LOL!

Mid-March around here is our last frost date. I have saved wide mouthed jars so I can cover up the seedlings at night if needed, so pretty much late March planting outside, back up the time maybe 6 weeks? With my greenhouse this year I'm not going to rush planting things outside, let them get a good solid start and then I can move them.

I don't use seedling flats any more. I've found that the window box sized pots work great. I start the plants in them then simply scoop out the seedling and the soil around it and they suffer no setbacks when planted.
 ----
Sanderson's reply today:

I brought this subject over to Northern Cal to continue.
--
My micro-climate shows last frost in mid Feb, which was when I started my seeds last year.  I think I will start them this coming week, mid Jan.

When do you start the winter squash non-volunteers?  Also, in window box or directly in their bed area?
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  keepercjr 1/11/2014, 5:53 pm

I am going to start my seeds earlier this year than I did last year.  I started mid Feb but I plan to get started this week.

Although for squash and cucumber I will wait a few weeks and start in a plastic bag with a damp paper towel. When they sprout I put them in the ground. For onions I buy seedlings from the Madera Flower garden guy at the Vineyard Farmer's market. Those always do well for me.
keepercjr
keepercjr

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/11/2014, 8:55 pm

Thanks for the Madera Flower tip.  Vineyard FM would be great place to meet up!  ??
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Mary429 1/11/2014, 10:12 pm

Hi there!
Haven't posted in a while but I'm in Fresno too.  Smile
This will be my first time starting seeds indoors.  Do you all use a grow light, or just a window?  I can't decide whether I should spend the money on a light or not.  Also, is there a place in town that had a wide variety of seeds, preferably organic, or is Lowe's or Home Depot the way to go? 

I've had broccoli, radishes, scallions, lettuce, and potatoes in a bottomless bin all doing well this winter!  Looking forward to adding another 4x4 for the spring.  Smile

Mary
Mary429
Mary429

Back to top Go down

Post  keepercjr 1/12/2014, 11:20 am

Mary,
I use a grow light on a stand I made out of PVC about 8 years ago. The light is just a 4 foot shop light from Home Depot with full spectrum lights in it (also from HD). I use a heat mat for germination set on a timer with the lights. 2 years ago my husband bought me the soil block makers for my birthday so I have been using that system as well.

Sanderson I agree that the Vineyard FM would be a good place to meet! I make it just about every Saturday. And most Wednesdays.

Is it against the rules to mention that we have a local gardening facebook group?

Oh for seeds I buy just about all of mine online, usually ebay. I find what I like in the catalogs and then look on ebay for a cheaper price. If I were trying to buy local I would check out the nurseries in addition to HD and Lowes.

Caroline
keepercjr
keepercjr

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/12/2014, 12:13 pm

If you don't have a greenhouse or lights it's most likely that your seedlings will get leggy trying to reach for the light. Leggy seedlings are not ideal. By keeping lights within a few inches of the growing tips the plants will grow better.
I recommend using the search feature here on the forum to find threads about lights and growing stations and seed starting. You will get some good ideas. :-)

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

2 - California - What are you doing this month? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/12/2014, 7:55 pm

Keeper,  I've tried to find a local group of SFG!  I'll write later.  Gotta fly
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/13/2014, 11:15 pm

Keeper,  Is the group into SFG?
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  keepercjr 1/14/2014, 11:39 am

Not SFG specifically but gardening in general. There are some of us who SFG. But the local knowledge base is really nice to have (including someone who owns a local nursery).
keepercjr
keepercjr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next