Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
 The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 12 Toplef10 The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 12 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 12 I22gcj10 The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 12 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
 The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 12 Toplef10 The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 12 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 12 I22gcj10 The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 12 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic

+24
trolleydriver
quiltbea
Scorpio Rising
walshevak
Kelejan
donnainzone5
steve638
AtlantaMarie
brainchasm
CapeCoddess
yolos
Goosegirl
Turan
camprn
johnp
boffer
GloriaG
2SooCrew
Marc Iverson
Cajunsmoke14
meatburner
sanderson
audrey.jeanne.roberts
has55
28 posters

Page 12 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 12 Empty Re: The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 12/31/2015, 12:18 pm

What a fun variety!  If she doesn't answer you can google it, I'm sure there's information out there to guide you.

Our favorite Cauliflower dish is what we call "Mock-a-foni" or Cauliflower mac n cheese.  With that color it's a natural!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 12 Empty Re: The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic

Post  has55 12/31/2015, 3:55 pm

Thanks CC and AJR. I'll try the family first.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/31/2015, 5:50 pm

has55 wrote:Thanks CC and AJR. I'll try the family first.

That's sweet! I love you
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 12/31/2015, 9:04 pm

I'm not a cauliflower lover but grew it for my family.   There are very slight flavor differences in the colors.
The cheddar is mild, slightly sweet and creamy in flavor.
The purple ones are mild, slightly sweet but with a slight nutty touch.
They are all grown the same, in early spring or in cooler climes, starting in the summer so they can be harvested in the fall since the pests are fewer.
I harvested them when the heads looked full but before they started to spread.
Also, I always covered my white ones, called 'blanching' so they kept their pristine white color.  I would pull the leaves up around the forming heads and clip them together over the small white heads with a spring clothes pin so they would not get yellowish.  But species these days don't seem to have that problem of turning yellow.  They pretty much stay nice and white without 'blanching' them out in the garden.

I hope I was able to help if only a tiny bit.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 1/1/2016, 12:13 am

Thank you quiltbea. VERY HELPFUL!!!
quaestion-this spring, my white cauliflowers(2) got large, remain tight, but started getting  brown dots. It slowly spread, till I figured out they were spoil. Do you know what it was. I didn't pull the leaves over until they were very large. I only had two of them.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 1/1/2016, 9:00 am

Okay, I'll add the cheddar & purple varieties to the wish list... I'm not a cauli fan, but I know it's so healthy! Maybe those flavors will be the ticket!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 1/1/2016, 11:23 am

The brown spots on cauliflower are caused by moisture.  Not harmful but I would harvest the head and cut off the brown spots since they are the start of spreading and will eventually ruin your head.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/1/2016, 11:38 am

I will try one SF with cauli. I like it raw. Need to build a 4x4 so I have more room boogie woogie
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 1/2/2016, 10:01 am

quiltbea wrote:The brown spots on cauliflower are caused by moisture.  Not harmful but I would harvest the head and cut off the brown spots since they are the start of spreading and will eventually ruin your head.
Thank you. Harvested yesterday.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 1/2/2016, 10:01 am

has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 1/2/2016, 1:37 pm

Keep these videos coming, has55, give me inspiration.  I would love that hoop house with the covered rows inside.  Such a difference to the garden outside.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 1/2/2016, 3:15 pm

Great videos has55 ... sure wish I had that hoop house in my backyard.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 1/3/2016, 8:11 am

+1!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 12 Empty Need to figure these angles

Post  jimmy cee 2/13/2016, 9:11 pm

Pictured here is a 2 x 8 bed
I have a 4 x 8 bed with a cold frame on the end that I would like to copy this work.
Is there a mathematical way to figure the length of those top angle pieces ?
 The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 12 Pvc_ne10
 The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 12 Wed_ma10
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  CNida89 2/14/2016, 2:29 am

I wish I could be of assistance, Jimmy.

I looked around, but it seems to me (and I am the farthest you can be from Math literacy) that in order to calculate the angle of an obtuse triangle, like the ones you will have, you need to know the length of the sides. So we know that on a 4x8 bed, the bottom part of that angle will be roughly 4 feet, but that won't help you because you need to know the angles themselves.

I can offer a suggestion: It won't be at all like you are doing with your's, both of my beds are 4x8, and I used just three pieces of 10' pipe for the arches. They fit perfectly.

Mine aren't nearly as pretty as your's is, though.
CNida89
CNida89

Male Posts : 21

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/14/2016, 3:58 am

Jimmy,  The lower part is real easy, all right angles.  Cutting the horizontal header was a matter of measuring the length from where the pipe actually sets deep inside the fittings.  Added the nipples (short pipe pieces) and 45*s.  Then it was a matter of trial and error.  I put 2 long pieces of pipe into the 45s, long enough so they crossed at the peak of the roof/ridge pole.  Held up a 90 and measured back and forth until both pieces were equal lengths.  Adjusted for the internal depth of the fittings and did a final cut on them.  Assembled and prayed.  I may have gotten the first final cuts too short.  But once I got it perfect, all the rest for 2' I.D. beds were cut en mass.

My green house is O.D. 4' square.  The eaves were cut to about 32 1/2".  (I just went out side and tried to measure through the plastic)  that should give you a starting point.   The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 12 Hot_ho16
 The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 12 Hot_ho17

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 2/14/2016, 6:46 am

I can't wait to retire... Looks like so much fun!
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 2/14/2016, 8:23 am

CNida89 wrote:I wish I could be of assistance, Jimmy.

I looked around, but it seems to me (and I am the farthest you can be from Math literacy) that in order to calculate the angle of an obtuse triangle, like the ones you will have, you need to know the length of the sides. So we know that on a 4x8 bed, the bottom part of that angle will be roughly 4 feet, but that won't help you because you need to know the angles themselves.

I can offer a suggestion: It won't be at all like you are doing with your's, both of my beds are 4x8, and I used just three pieces of 10' pipe for the arches. They fit perfectly.

Mine aren't nearly as pretty as your's is, though.
Thank you
If you go further back in math literacy you may run into me....
I have one that is arched and it worked nicely, however I think I'd like to do this style and compare the 2...why ?????   LOL....don't ask me that one.
I will be able to get the measurement needed, just need to run a straight line down the middle and with a 45 degree fitting have the lengths of those angles after figuring what height needed for the sides....<<<
I should have been this inquisitive when younger in school...
Just a point of info...I majored in commercial photography in high school, 10th grade we had basic algebra, my system must have like that for my grades skyrocketed. That was the end of mathematics for me , the next 2 years were dedicated to a science related to photography..
After school my phot0graphy career ended....
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 2/14/2016, 8:33 am

CapeCoddess wrote:I can't wait to retire... Looks like so much fun!
CC
Be careful, it's not all that it seems to be.
I ran across a former boss about 2 years after retiring from an electrical generating station.
We chatted briefly and I asked him if there was anyway I could get back to work.
He asked me "why Jim can't you make it out there" ?
I replied back " I just can't find time any more for rest and relaxation, it's all work" .
He hasn't talked to me since and that was about 18 years ago...LOL

I worked in a technical department that was considered an elite group.
Nothing could break up that feeling throughout the system, so the department was eventually dissolved.
And he was one to help dissolve it...LOL....
I figured...GOTCHA....

Seriously though, you'll love it.. one never knows in what direction they might go after needing to be somewhere qall the time...
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 2/14/2016, 8:41 am

Sanderson, thanks, I am considering something like you pictured for a small greenhouse on my deck. One that can be dismantled and stored until fall.

One for my bed will most likely need to be put together in place, due to the bed being out of square.
Aren't those 45 degree fittings so valuable ?
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 2/14/2016, 8:46 am

sanderson wrote:  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 12 Hot_ho16
 The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 12 Hot_ho17

I'd love to put one of these together and then figure out what to do with it...LOL...I consider objects like this beautiful...my wife thinks the ballet is beautiful
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/14/2016, 1:56 pm

Thanks, Jimmy.  Here's what the breakdown looked like on the greenhouse last season.  The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 12 Hot_ho18

Last edited by sanderson on 2/14/2016, 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add photo)

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 2/14/2016, 3:29 pm

Have to agree with Jimmy ... beautiful.  Would really like to have one.  You folks in the USA have the advantage of easily obtainable and relatively inexpensive PVC pipe. Up here in Canada where I am located, it's less available and more expensive.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/14/2016, 4:03 pm

TD, I didn't know that regarding PVC pipe. There's your side business!! Wink

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 2/14/2016, 4:21 pm

I like that greenhouse.  It sure looks a lot stronger than my little one that fits over a 4 x 4 plot.
 The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 12 Grnhou10

The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic  - Page 12 04-13-10

Mine is a tubular frame with a plastic cover that zips open for ventilation.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next