Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
mods to Mel's mix on the Front Range? - Page 2 Toplef10mods to Mel's mix on the Front Range? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

mods to Mel's mix on the Front Range? - Page 2 I22gcj10mods to Mel's mix on the Front Range? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
mods to Mel's mix on the Front Range? - Page 2 Toplef10mods to Mel's mix on the Front Range? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

mods to Mel's mix on the Front Range? - Page 2 I22gcj10mods to Mel's mix on the Front Range? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

mods to Mel's mix on the Front Range?

+4
BrianDorry55
southern gardener
camprn
CarolynBG
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

mods to Mel's mix on the Front Range? - Page 2 Empty Re: mods to Mel's mix on the Front Range?

Post  Marc Iverson 11/3/2013, 11:08 pm

CarolynBG wrote:(As it is, I will have 88 sq ft instead of 64, and now I have to figure out what more I will grow!!)
This year I planted 20 tomato plants. Critters got all the fruit of the entire first third of the season. Good thing I didn't plant only 3! Just kidding. When infestation is that bad, it probably doesn't make a difference if you plant 3 or 300. I got zero regardless until well into mid-summer.

What I'm getting at is that it's hard to have too much of anything unless everything goes swimmingly for you. Your "extra" squares are only extra if everything goes great. So you might want to plant them with things you really love and would really miss having this summer if anything were to go wrong. Having too much of what you like is nowhere near the disappointment of having little or none of it. In fact, it's often not disappointing at all!
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

mods to Mel's mix on the Front Range? - Page 2 Empty Re: mods to Mel's mix on the Front Range?

Post  Marc Iverson 11/3/2013, 11:10 pm

southern gardener wrote:carolynbg...we were just at Home Depot. They have a product called "EcoScraps". I haven't used it, but it's supposed to be 100% compost from all plant based items. They have a website if you wanna check it out. it was $5.97 per cf, which is kind of pricey, but it sounds like a good source. Good luck.
I used it in a container, and my tomato un-thrived.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 11/4/2013, 1:01 am

Marc Iverson wrote:
southern gardener wrote:carolynbg...we were just at Home Depot. They have a product called "EcoScraps". I haven't used it, but it's supposed to be 100% compost from all plant based items. They have a website if you wanna check it out. it was $5.97 per cf, which is kind of pricey, but it sounds like a good source. Good luck.
I used it in a container, and my tomato un-thrived.
Marc.  What did your mix it with or did you use it alone?  I know Mel says only make Manure 1/5 of your compost, but I have had more luck making  manure 1/2 or more when mixing with the commercial all veggie or wood products composts.   My basic 3 in commercial composts are cow, hen and mushroom.  I go heavy with them and add in anything else I can find, just watching the peat in case I need to reduce the amount of peat in my final mix.  I had 2 good years with that while waiting for my homemade to cook.  Even now, I add my basic 3 to my homemade.

Kay[/quote]

Last edited by camprn on 11/4/2013, 6:45 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed quote box)

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 11/4/2013, 11:36 pm

Kay, I used it straight, in a self-watering 5-gallon bucket. It's not MM, but I just wanted to test it by itself.

I agree with you that the ability to keep the rich manure composts low really depends on the quality of the rest of your composts. Almost all the composts I've bought this and last year have been too wood-heavy to rely on. I got around it reasonably well by using strong helpings of compost tea, but that's only a temporary measure that doesn't really change the soil long-term.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2