Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
36 degrees tonight, Pick or Not ??? - Page 2 Toplef1036 degrees tonight, Pick or Not ??? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

36 degrees tonight, Pick or Not ??? - Page 2 I22gcj1036 degrees tonight, Pick or Not ??? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
36 degrees tonight, Pick or Not ??? - Page 2 Toplef1036 degrees tonight, Pick or Not ??? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

36 degrees tonight, Pick or Not ??? - Page 2 I22gcj1036 degrees tonight, Pick or Not ??? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

36 degrees tonight, Pick or Not ???

+6
GWN
camprn
Pollinator
Marc Iverson
Turan
unit649
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

36 degrees tonight, Pick or Not ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: 36 degrees tonight, Pick or Not ???

Post  unit649 Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:26 pm

CC, I have not saved any yet, as they come up each year as volunteers for me, and I still have some of the original seeds from http://www.seedsavers.org/ But I will start some today for saving. 

I have not read up on the exchange, so I will go check that out.  I would be glad to send you some.

Madge
unit649
unit649

Female Posts : 179

Back to top Go down

36 degrees tonight, Pick or Not ??? - Page 2 Empty Re: 36 degrees tonight, Pick or Not ???

Post  walshevak Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:19 pm

unit649 wrote:
walshevak wrote:Dreaming of green tommy toes pickles.  Laughing 

Kay
 Kay,
that sounds like a great idea.  Do you have a recipe?
Madge
This link has several recipes for green tomatoes and other good stuff.
http://www.sbcanning.com/search?q=Green+Tomatoes

Kay

A hot pepper added to the jar makes a hot  dill pickle

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:08 pm

found my refrigerator pickle recipe.
KOSHER DILL REFRIGERATOR GREEN TOMATO PICKLES

The best part of this recipe is that you can use it with green tomatoes, cucumber spears, and even cucumber slices for sandwiches.
We usually pick the tomatoes the day before the first hard freeze, because frost can make them mushy. When you're finished with the jar, don't dump the juice. You can add more tomatoes or cukes. After the second use, the brine gets a bit thin, so don't reuse it more than once.
Recipe
Yield. 1 quart jar
Preparation time. 90 minutes, aging time 1-2 weeks.
Ingredients1 cup distilled white vinegar 1 1/4 cup water 3 tablespoons kosher salt 1 pound firm green tomatoes (about 5 plum tomatoes) or pickling cucumbers (about 4) 1/2 serrano chile, stem removed 6 medium garlic cloves, peeled and sliced in half 4 tablespoons dill seeds 1/2 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
About the veggies. If you want to do cucumber pickles, buy pickling cukes. They are usually 4 to 6" long and have small seeds and crunchy skins. They should be cut lengthwise into halves or spears. You can leave them whole, but they will take longer. If you do tomatoes, they can be any breed, they must be all green, no orange allowed, and they should be cut in half or quarters.
About the water. Distilled water is best because it is purer and impurities can impart odd flavors, but, unless you have strong tasting tap water, it usually works fine. You can usually find distilled water in the grocery or drug store.
About the salt. It is important to use kosher salt in this recipe. It has fewer impurities, and if you use another salt you will need to change the quantity. Click here to learn more about salt and how to convert quantities.
About the chile pepper. I usually add 2-4 small red hot chiles per pint, each no bigger than a marble, usually Black pearls or fiestas, which we grow outdoors in pots in the summer, and bring indoors over winter. But they are hard to find, so serranos will work fine. If you can't find fresh peppers, you can use 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes. Don't worry, they don't make them hot, they just add complexity in the background.
About the vinegar. Use distilled vinegar. Any other vinegar imparts odd flavors.
Do this1) Make sure you have a really clean bottle and lid. The lids must have good rubber seals. The best thing to do is buy canning jars and lids from Ball. They are in a lot of hardware and grocery stores. Sterilize them by submerging them in a boiling water bath.
2) Add the garlic, dill seeds, and peppercorns to the jar.
3) Thoroughly wash the tomatoes and slice them in halves or quarters. Cut out all bad spots and the stem ends. Cram them in the jar leaving about 1/2" to 3/4" of space at the top.
3) Make the brine by combining the vinegar, water, and salt in a non-reactive sauce pan or pot. Bring to a boil, and stir until all the salt is dissolved.
4) Pour the hot brine over the tomatoes to within 1/4" of the top. Wipe the jar top, put the lids on and tighten. Age for at least 2 days in the refrigerator.
Serve with a big honkin' pastrami sandwich on rye, easy on the mustard.

kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  unit649 Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:01 pm

Kay,
Thank you so much for sharing your recipe for Green Tomato Pickles.  I will try this.

I used the recipe from your link and made the Green Tomato Chutney.  It is very tasty.  I have never had any kind of Chutney before, so I did not know what to expect.  I am not sure if I like it or not.  I will wait a couple of weeks like recommended and then try it again.  It sure has the kitchen smelling good.
Madge
Washing and capping about 300 of my smallest green Tommy Toe Tomatoes.
36 degrees tonight, Pick or Not ??? - Page 2 20131033

The Green Tomato Chutney cooking.
36 degrees tonight, Pick or Not ??? - Page 2 20131034

Here are two quarts of the canned Green Tomato Chutney, plus I had about 1/2 pint left over to refrigerate for eating in a couple of weeks.
36 degrees tonight, Pick or Not ??? - Page 2 20131035
unit649
unit649

Female Posts : 179

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:04 am

walshevak wrote:

kay
Sacrilege! The proper minimum amount of mustard to put on is just to where your nose tingles and you wonder if you're going to sneeze, with a maximum right up to the edge of where you begin to wonder if you're going to choke.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:01 pm

Marc Iverson wrote:
walshevak wrote:

kay
Sacrilege!  The proper minimum amount of mustard to put on is just to where your nose tingles and you wonder if you're going to sneeze, with a maximum right up to the edge of where you begin to wonder if you're going to choke.

That was a comment on the recipe page, not mine. I would have said mustard of your choice.

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2