Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What a waste Toplef10What a waste 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What a waste I22gcj10What a waste 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What a waste Toplef10What a waste 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What a waste I22gcj10What a waste 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What a waste

+7
landarch
littlejo
plantoid
Windsor.Parker
camprn
sanderson
walshevak
11 posters

Go down

What a waste Empty What a waste

Post  walshevak 9/8/2013, 4:29 pm

I was at Walmart and the produce lady was clearing out peaches. I walked over and asked her about them and picked up a few to examine. She said she was clearing out the unsaleable one to throw in the garbage. I was looking them over and, yes, there were some soft spots, but nothing really rotten. I asked her about "throwing" them my way, knowing the answer would be no and then I offered to purchase them at half off. She checked with the produce manager and was told Walmart would not allow this. They had to be destroyed. Couldn't even be donated to the food bank.

People, these peaches were barely going bad. Just needed a little paring around some bad places. I've seen, picked and used worse. WHAT A WASTE!!!

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

What a waste Empty Re: What a waste

Post  sanderson 9/8/2013, 4:32 pm

Probably a liability issue. What a waste.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 9/8/2013, 5:05 pm

That is down right criminal in my book. Don't tell us, write a letter to Walmart, regional manager and the president and include one to your local newspaper.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

What a waste WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Windsor.Parker 9/8/2013, 5:11 pm

+1 camprn
Windsor.Parker
Windsor.Parker

Male Posts : 381
Location : Chicago, South Shore, c. 100yds to Lake Michigan, Zone 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 9/8/2013, 6:16 pm

walshevak wrote:I was at Walmart and the produce lady was clearing out peaches.  I walked over and asked her about them and picked up a few to examine.  She said she was clearing out the unsaleable one to throw in the garbage.  I was looking them over and, yes, there were some soft spots, but nothing really rotten.  I asked her about "throwing" them my way, knowing the answer would be no and then I offered to purchase them at half off.  She checked with the produce manager and was told Walmart would not allow this.  They had to be destroyed.  Couldn't even be donated to the food bank.  

People, these peaches were barely going bad.  Just needed a little paring around some bad places.  I've seen, picked and used worse.   WHAT A WASTE!!!

Kay

Kay ,
Yah should have said, " It's for making garden compost to the recipe of that great square foot gardener of world wide fame who is  called Mel Bartholomew ..you know the one who had the TV programmes and write all those books . He advocates using all manner of vegetable and fruit waste to get a balanced compost.  I'm happy to sign an addressed disclaimer that it will only be used for compost and never ever eaten  " .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 9/8/2013, 9:36 pm

Pure greed.
Where did they originate? We get fruit and veggies from way across the country at our local Walmart, and the local farmers have to sell their stuff at the farmer's market. Doesn't make good sense. Sam Walton is turning over and over in his grave!
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 9/8/2013, 9:40 pm

littlejo wrote:Pure greed.
Where did they originate? We get fruit and veggies from way across the country at our local  Walmart, and the local farmers have to sell their stuff at the farmer's market. Doesn't make good sense. Sam Walton is turning over and over in his grave!
Jo
They were eastern US peaches, SC

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 9/8/2013, 9:41 pm

plantoid wrote:
walshevak wrote:I was at Walmart and the produce lady was clearing out peaches.  I walked over and asked her about them and picked up a few to examine.  She said she was clearing out the unsaleable one to throw in the garbage.  I was looking them over and, yes, there were some soft spots, but nothing really rotten.  I asked her about "throwing" them my way, knowing the answer would be no and then I offered to purchase them at half off.  She checked with the produce manager and was told Walmart would not allow this.  They had to be destroyed.  Couldn't even be donated to the food bank.  

People, these peaches were barely going bad.  Just needed a little paring around some bad places.  I've seen, picked and used worse.   WHAT A WASTE!!!

Kay

Kay ,
Yah should have said, " It's for making garden compost to the recipe of that great square foot gardener of world wide fame who is  called Mel Bartholomew ..you know the one who had the TV programmes and write all those books . He advocates using all manner of vegetable and fruit waste to get a balanced compost.  I'm happy to sign an addressed disclaimer that it will only be used for compost and never ever eaten  " .
These peaches were too good to compost. A bit hard, but not gone bad at all.

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 9/8/2013, 11:14 pm

I've ran into this before...stopped in at my local Hy-Vee grocery and asked if they gave away spoiled produce for composting.  It was against their policy because they didn't want anyone eating old food after it left their store.

In the Kansas City River Market you can find food vendors selling aged produce from grocery distributors...food good enough to cook with in the next day or two...but not good enough for retail.

The peach growers in the KC area are winding down for the season...I've purchased big boxes of "seconds" for a few dollars, cut out the bad parts, sliced, and stored in the freezer.  Too bad retailers can't handle the liability of giving away ok produce for eating or composting.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 9/9/2013, 8:09 am

I didn't even want a give away. I was willing to purchase at a discounted price. Wouldn't sell to me.

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Millenia 9/9/2013, 11:16 am

I'm sure they're worried about liability. All it takes is one person to claim they were made ill by the 'bad' peaches they purchased at Wal Mart, or even the free ones handed out the back door. It may seem crazy, but in our sue-happy nation, businesses have to protect themselves.

Also, I read recently where Wal Mart is implementing a plan to purchase produce locally whenever possible. I noticed a lot of fairly local produce at Wal Mart this summer.
Millenia
Millenia

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 9/9/2013, 9:07 pm

walshevak wrote:
plantoid wrote:

Kay

Kay ,
These peaches were too good to compost.  A bit hard, but not gone bad at all.

Kay

Possession is 9 /10's of the law ..who said you had to compost all of them ??? Smile 
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 9/10/2013, 1:09 pm

landarch wrote:
In the Kansas City River Market you can find food vendors selling aged produce from grocery distributors...food good enough to cook with in the next day or two...but not good enough for retail.
How confident of that are you? Not the food quality, it's source. I lot of product like that is actual fished out of the garbage.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 9/10/2013, 2:56 pm

What a waste indeed, it just takes a few people out there to ruin things like this for everyone. People these days are so lawsuit happy, it's a shame what it does to the rest of the world!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 9/10/2013, 5:43 pm

Yup, it's a shame, but often businesses are all but forced to throw away good stuff for fear of liability. It's a very real issue -- it's not just that something bad has to happen -- it's that certain things will make an insurer refuse coverage for you, deny a claim, or raise your rates sky-high. Before anything bad has even happened.

Same with businesses with space to lend out to community events, or homes with swimming pools that could be considered "attractive nuisances" that tempt some kid into coming into your yard without your knowledge or permission, even if they have to climb over a fence to do it, and then hurting himself somehow -- or even pretending to. I don't see anywhere near as many homes being built with pools anymore. A neighbor of ours just had his filled in.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum