Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My cantaloupe and cucumbers need help Toplef10My cantaloupe and cucumbers need help 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My cantaloupe and cucumbers need help I22gcj10My cantaloupe and cucumbers need help 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My cantaloupe and cucumbers need help Toplef10My cantaloupe and cucumbers need help 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My cantaloupe and cucumbers need help I22gcj10My cantaloupe and cucumbers need help 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

My cantaloupe and cucumbers need help

3 posters

Go down

My cantaloupe and cucumbers need help Empty My cantaloupe and cucumbers need help

Post  cismith54 8/18/2013, 8:43 pm

Once again I am a newbie and thought I was on the road to getting some nice pickling cucumbers after adding some more compost.  But now they are looking really sad.  I don't know if they need more water, I don't see any pests lurking.  I have am elevated raised bed that we used mesh & wire on the bottom instead of a board with holes in it.  It was made that way before I knew about Square Foot Gardening.  So I am learning the hard way.  I had taken some pictures with my iPad but am unable to figure out how to post them.  Maybe it is because it is related to Mac.  The cantaloup have yellowish brown edges and the cucumber that seemed to be thriving are looking like they are shriveling up.  They had flowers on them when I added the compost and the next morning it looked really nice.  That has been about 4 days now and each day they are looking even worse.  The irrigation is set for 15 minutes every other day.  I just now watered them some more as it felt pretty dry for the top.  I also tried mixing the compost up a little more.  I wish I could show you the pics.  Any suggestions are welcome.Embarassed
cismith54
cismith54

Female Posts : 28

Back to top Go down

My cantaloupe and cucumbers need help Empty Re: My cantaloupe and cucumbers need help

Post  WriterCPA 8/18/2013, 11:56 pm

See if any of the pictures in the thread "Cucumber Pics" looks like your problem. There may be help in that discussion. If not, try uploading your pics to Photobucket and then using "image" (the second box from the left in the bottom of the tool bar) to let us see what you have.
WriterCPA
WriterCPA

Female Posts : 138

Back to top Go down

My cantaloupe and cucumbers need help Empty Re: My cantaloupe and cucumbers need help

Post  camprn 8/19/2013, 7:32 am

There are instructions HERE
for doing things on the forum, like posting photos, etc..

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

My cantaloupe and cucumbers need help WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  cismith54 8/19/2013, 8:42 am

Well I just took some more pictures and am going to see if I can figure it out on my Mac instead of using my iPad to post.  I think I am at a disadvantage because I use Apple products but I do love them.
cismith54
cismith54

Back to top Go down

Post  cismith54 8/19/2013, 10:17 am

My cantaloupe and cucumbers need help Pickli10

Well this is the pic of the cucumbers.
My cantaloupe and cucumbers need help Cantal10

This is my cantaloupe.  Any comments are truly welcome.  And to those who are using Apple products for pictures it is truly difficult.
cismith54
cismith54

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/19/2013, 10:20 am

OK, to me it looks like you have transplanted these... is that correct? Also, please tell us what you made your Mel's mix with. What types of compost did you use?

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

My cantaloupe and cucumbers need help WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  cismith54 8/19/2013, 12:16 pm

Hi Camprn,

I am the same one that you replied to earlier that suggested that I get 5 different kinds of compost to add to my garden.  So let me tell the long story that will hopefully explain everything.

We moved to Tijeras, NM from Albuquerque in April of this year.  I decided that I wanted to use my wonderful 2 acres and put it to good use as we are over 15 miles from the nearest grocery store.  The area I believe is in a 6b area.  I purchased 3 raised type beds from Amazon.  They measure 3'6" by 3'6" x 6" high.  At that time I did not know about Square Foot Gardening at all.  I purchased from Lowe's the transplants, topsoil and compost.  I tried to use a mixture of 35% compost with 65% topsoil.  So my Mel's mix really isn't even close to his mix.  I also purchased from Lowe's an irrigation system.  My original garden was only one level high but I then added another level making it 12" deep and at this point I don't remember exactly why I decided to do that.  When I did that I added more topsoil and more compost.  Once again not knowing about Square Foot Gardening. The bottom of my bed is done with wire and mesh as opposed to a board with holes.    My other two transplants are a Big Red tomato and a green pepper that already had peppers on it.  I have totally ruled the peppers out at this point as they are really small.  I planted all of the transplants on 7/15/13 with the hopes that they would survive me in my tremendous learning curve.  Now that I have read the Square Foot Gardening book second edition in its entirety I know that I will need to change everything for next spring.  I plan on breaking down my two level and making them into two separate gardens.  I also have one that I have dedicated to my 8 year old grandson that lives with us.  After reading I did find what I hope to be Mel's mix at Lowe's and purchased 6 bags that would be just for one garden.  I hope this is it!!!

My cantaloupe and cucumbers need help Image15
My cantaloupe and cucumbers need help Tomato10
My lonely tomato

Well I thought I had the posting of pics all figured out and now it isn't working for my green pepper picture.

I hope at this point I have explained everything that will allow some feedback with which to learn.
Thanks in advance,  Smile 
cismith54
cismith54

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/19/2013, 2:47 pm

Oki doki, sorry for my confusion. Cantaloupes and cucumbers don't like to be transplanted, so they look shocked for a while after planting. I think you need a general liquid fertilizer at this point which is kind of a band-aid approach. Next year, after doing a lot of learning this coming winter, you can do it better.

Some folks will say go with fish emulsion or seaweed or compost tea or something like that. I like the espoma products, but any general liquid fertilizer will do. Read and follow all label directions. that should give your wee plants a boost.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  cismith54 8/19/2013, 2:59 pm

Thanks for the quick feedback.  I will get some this afternoon.
cismith54
cismith54

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum