Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW: July 2013 - Page 3 Toplef10PNW: July 2013 - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW: July 2013 - Page 3 I22gcj10PNW: July 2013 - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW: July 2013 - Page 3 Toplef10PNW: July 2013 - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW: July 2013 - Page 3 I22gcj10PNW: July 2013 - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

PNW: July 2013

+10
southern gardener
donnainzone5
nurzemjd
LittleGardener
camprn
boffer
FamilyGardening
Lavender Debs
happycamper
gwennifer
14 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

PNW: July 2013 - Page 3 Empty Re: PNW: July 2013

Post  gwennifer 7/12/2013, 2:15 pm

Does anybody else have a problem with their broccoli growing all stupid and floppy?
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/12/2013, 4:24 pm

gwennifer wrote:Does anybody else have a problem with their broccoli growing all stupid and floppy?

Is that a technical term?  Razz 

Yes, it's common.  Before long, they will start growing tall, and you'll have what I call a 'dog leg'.  (another technical term!)  I've never had a problem with dog legs.  

I have experimented by digging up a seedling with a dog leg, taking off the seed leaves, and burying the plant deeper.  I haven't seen any advantages to doing so other than having a plant with a straight stem.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/12/2013, 4:32 pm

Lavender Debs wrote:... I've never planted Walla Walla's before.

Deb, I'm looking forward to watching your technique and results.  I've never been able to grow big Walla Wallas, and am about  ready to just buy a couple 50 pound sacks from a roadside stand in eastern WA.  

That noise you hear near your onion box is me channeling my chant: 'grow, babies, grow'!  Wink
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  happycamper 7/12/2013, 8:09 pm

[quote="FamilyGardening"]HappyCamper  what kind of squash is that in your pic?....its huge!!

FamilyGardening, it is a Round Zucchini Summer Squash (Victory Seeds). They are great producers.  This one is for dinner tonight.
Image hosted by servimg.com
I trim the leaves off the plant on the inside of the bed so that they don't cover the next square.  If I didn't trim it I would lose about 9 squares to it.
happycamper
happycamper

Female Posts : 304

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/12/2013, 11:28 pm

happycamper
PNW: July 2013 - Page 3 141310

Looks like happycamper is in a banana belt! Wink
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/13/2013, 2:58 am

Deb....I love watching MPH channel....he seems like such a nice guy....wish we had room for a set up like he does Smile what a great idea using those tub's....thanks for the reminder.....I think we will do the same thing....Very Happy....this year I started our onions and leeks in those plastic party cups....they work good...but I think a tub would work better Smile

now im not sure if our leeks are onions or leeks since the same thing has happen to you too Deb....guess we will see come this winter and spring....im sure we will love eating them no matter what they turn out to be Razz 

HappyCamper.....what color flesh does that beauty have?....is it sweet tasting...I just love the look of it!....our favorite is Acorn squash, but we are willing to try something different Very Happy if its a good producer and over winter keeper Very Happy 

hugs
rose.....who is loving our summer this year!
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 7/13/2013, 12:08 pm

FamilyGardening....snip....now im not sure if our leeks are onions or leeks since the same thing has happen to you too Deb....guess we will see come this winter and spring....im sure we will love eating them no matter what they turn out to be .....

hugs
rose.....who is loving our summer this year!

There is one sorta reliable way to tell the difference. Leeks have flat, slightly blue-green leaves. The leaves of onions are tubes. Hope that helps a little.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 7/13/2013, 1:52 pm

happycamper wrote:I trim the leaves off the plant on the inside of the bed so that they don't cover the next square.  If I didn't trim it I would lose about 9 squares to it.
Well that's certainly consistent with the book.  I'm new to growing squash and was looking through the "At a Glance Vegetables" section in the Appendix and noticed Mel says vine summer squash takes 1 per 2 squares (just like winter squash), but bush summer squash he says one per 9 squares.  Prune baby prune!
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 7/13/2013, 2:00 pm

boffer wrote:
gwennifer wrote:Does anybody else have a problem with their broccoli growing all stupid and floppy?

Is that a technical term?  Razz 

Yes, it's common.  Before long, they will start growing tall, and you'll have what I call a 'dog leg'.  (another technical term!)  I've never had a problem with dog legs.  

I have experimented by digging up a seedling with a dog leg, taking off the seed leaves, and burying the plant deeper.  I haven't seen any advantages to doing so other than having a plant with a straight stem.
boffer I remember my first fall garden showing a picture of my broccoli and you pointing out the dog leg.  Laughing  I think you said you usually solve it by putting a popsicle stick next to it when it's young?  Thanks for sharing about your experimenting - I was wondering if I should be planting the seeds deeper or something.  It's just odd to me how floppy they are when young because they end up practically having trunks by the time they flower.  Anyway, I know from my first year that they still grow and produce just fine, I'm just afraid they'll end up breaking when they keep falling over.  I've got some popsicle sticks on the younger ones but didn't get my first ones done in time to prevent the dog legs.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 7/13/2013, 2:03 pm

southern gardener wrote:... Our neighborhood started a veggie/fruit "swap". You set out what you have extra of in a tray, and take from the tray if there's something you need!
Cool!  I can just picture everyone showing up with their zucchini and finding nothing else except, well, zucchini.  Razz
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 7/13/2013, 3:07 pm

gwennifer wrote:
southern gardener wrote:... Our neighborhood started a veggie/fruit "swap". You set out what you have extra of in a tray, and take from the tray if there's something you need!
Cool!  I can just picture everyone showing up with their zucchini and finding nothing else except, well, zucchini.  Razz

totally!! lol. Not very many gardeners on our street, so no zucchini overage YET! lol. My garden is taking a downhill slide...so trying a different approach. Want to hold up our end of the bargain! lol We have lots of fruit trees, so that's good, and LOTS of onions!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 7/13/2013, 6:03 pm

We are watering and picking berries for a neighbor while they are on vacation and I wanted to tell you all what I saw while picking their blueberries.  A black and gray dragonfly landed on the bush I was working on, and I was thinking I'd never seen one that color and was going to tell the homeowner since black and silver/gray is her color scheme inside.  Then it took off and landed again - with a ladybug in its mouth!  It sat there and devoured a ladybug while I watched - it took several minutes.  I had no idea!  Shocked
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/13/2013, 11:09 pm

GWEN we have noticed a LOT of dragonflies this year too Very Happy didn't know they like to eat ladybugs Sad .....we have seen them flying while holding onto their lunch and sitting eating large ants and what looks like beetles....Shocked 

hope you get to eat those berries while you are watering for your neighbor hungry 

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/14/2013, 3:32 am

Seen a ton of dragonflies, but never seen a one with prey in its mouth. Sad to hear they eat ladybugs though.

Wish they ate cucumber beetles!
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 7/15/2013, 11:40 am

You know, while picking berries over there at the neighbors I couldn't help but notice how far behind their row garden is compared to my SFG. I know they have to wait every year for their dad to come with their tiller so that slows them down getting planted. It's such a small garden - having a row garden seems like such a waste of time and space. I mean really, they could probably till it by hand with a garden claw in just a couple of hours if they wanted. She's seen my garden and hasn't seen the least bit interested though. I'll have to ask her why that is when they get back.

I bought myself one more cement tub to go under one of my table tops to see how lettuce/kale/arugula do. Needed more peat moss and they only had an enormous bag at Lowes. Since then I've only made it to Walmart, which now only carries MiracleGro peat moss, of all things. Mad  So hopefully today I'll make it to a real nursery and get another batch of MM going.

I also picked up some pot trellises at Lowe's and was able to use them to release my carrots from their leafy bean prison. Will need to replant some of the carrots as they were simply overwhelmed by how fast the beans grew and aren't recovering now that they can see the light again.

For those who read and don't post - I really encourage you to at least pop on and say when you've planted something. It really helps new gardeners who come on looking for what they are supposed to be doing, but don't want to bother with login accounts. It may seem intimidating on these threads, like we are all friends and already know each other or something - not true! Most of us just post our updates and have gotten to know each other because of that.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/15/2013, 12:31 pm

gwennifer wrote:...I really encourage you to at least pop on and say when you've planted something...

Alrighty then...today, rightly or wrongly, I'm direct seeding:
turnips
chard
lettuces
radishes
bok choy

I transplanted 1/3 of my indoor seedlings of broccoli and cauliflower last week, and will plant another 1/3 today.

In years past, I've direct seeded broccoli and cauliflower at this time of year with pretty good results depending on the weather.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 7/15/2013, 2:08 pm

gwennifer wrote:....snip....For those who read and don't post - I really encourage you to at least pop on and say when you've planted something.  It really helps new gardeners who come on looking for what they are supposed to be doing, but don't want to bother with login accounts.  It may seem intimidating on these threads, like we are all friends and already know each other or something - not true!  Most of us just post our updates and have gotten to know each other because of that.  

FINALLY, pulled up what was left of the peas and fava beans. There are still carrots in that box so I put those cheesy little garden fences (about 7" or so high) into the ground to keep the carrot tops from falling into the empty squares. My neighbor keeps a horse at a stable, and brings me composted horse poo in a tote (she would like to bring me a whole trailer full because then she only  needs to use the back-hoe to fill it instead of the #2 shovel) I will lime and compost the area I just cleared to plant....

• Purple Sprouting, overwinter broccoli

• kohlrabi

• salad kales (chinese and portuguese)

• salad mustards

• watermelon radish

PNW: July 2013 - Page 3 Mid_ju10
Cheesy k-mart plastic fence holding carrot tops off of the center squares.

Inspired by boffer, I'm also going to put in a couple of squares of bok choi and chard. MMMMMM
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/15/2013, 4:29 pm

we still have our seedlings of fall cabbage, bok choi, broccoli, cauliflower and kale waiting for space to open up in our cole crop hoop bed as we are still eating out of this bed... Shocked hubby bought some hoops to put on our potato bed so that we can use this space as well for fall crops....have some beans growing in space where we pulled up some early potatoes......still waiting to pull up the rest ..they are sloooowly dying off.....

over the weekend we direct sown some spinach in SFG box #1 as the beans we planted never came up ??

direst sown some carrots in containers and have a few more to do this week....hoping to be able to bring these containers into the green house this fall and have some carrots this winter....

today we are going to pull up most of our garlic and direct sow some more spinach, cilantro, radish, lettuce and transplant some onion seedlings that have been waiting for space to open up Very Happy  

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/15/2013, 5:12 pm

It's looking like it's going to be a good year for squash in the PNW, and I'm hoping I can store enough to last the winter.

A growing wall of squash; the steel frame is 10 feet wide and 6+ feet high.
PNW: July 2013 - Page 3 Dscn3118

I've been twirling this vine along a rope; it's over 5 feet horizontally.
PNW: July 2013 - Page 3 Dscn3119

One of this year's boo-boos!  What was I thinking when I planted bush type summer squash next to a trellis?!   silly me 
PNW: July 2013 - Page 3 Dscn3210

Old school: planting in the ground, in 5 way compost.  I wonder how much lawn I'll lose.
PNW: July 2013 - Page 3 Dscn3211

I'm letting these vines go every which way on the trellis.
PNW: July 2013 - Page 3 Dscn3212

And just so I can use a new smilie: I haven't seen as many bumble PNW: July 2013 - Page 3 2636062189 as usual this year, but somebody is getting my squash pollinated!
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 7/15/2013, 5:56 pm

Mason bees? My row-gardener buddy identified several of the same in my garden during his recent visit.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/15/2013, 6:19 pm

Boffer,  Husband and I were discussing pros and cons of SFG vs row gardening.  You can guess who is on which side!  One specific topic we discussed was the spacing of summer square in row gardening.  I see you do it both ways.

What is the spacing between your rows, and between your squashes?

What is the spacing of your trellised squashes?

I only have 39 sq ft in boxes (one stand-alone) so the 3 squashes and 5 tomatoes in boxes are vertical.  (One Roma is 8' +)  Even the veggies in the 30 pots I bought to tuck here and there are vertical.

Thanks a bunch
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/15/2013, 7:05 pm

sanderson,

rows? ROWS? I don't have no stinkin' rows!  lol! (just kidding)

Most of my trellised squash is planted 1 per foot, on one side of the trellis only.

Here's a pic from 4/22, from about the same angle as the pic in my above post.  It's 4 feet wide at the white bed frame trellis.  Under the plastic is about 8 inches of 5 way compost.
PNW: July 2013 - Page 3 Dscn2610

Taken on 6/1, this pic is at the right end of the above pic.  I cut X's in the plastic to plant seedlings.  As for spacing, I kinda wing it, around 3 feet in all directions.  In my climate, crowding of the vegetation isn't a problem if we have above average weather.  If we have below average temps, the squash isn't going to produce well regardless of the spacing.
PNW: July 2013 - Page 3 Dscn3011
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  unit649 7/15/2013, 11:29 pm

boffer, I love the re-use of the bed frame as a trellis. Smile 
Madge
unit649
unit649

Female Posts : 179

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/16/2013, 12:00 am

Thanks, I rescued several of them, different shapes, from a trip to the metal recycler. Being free standing, they are versatile. I've been known to 're-decorate' the garden space just for a different look.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 7/16/2013, 12:38 am

boffer wrote:sanderson,

rows? ROWS? I don't have no stinkin' rows!  lol! (just kidding)

Most of my trellised squash is planted 1 per foot, on one side of the trellis only.

Here's a pic from 4/22, from about the same angle as the pic in my above post.  It's 4 feet wide at the white bed frame trellis.  Under the plastic is about 8 inches of 5 way compost.
PNW: July 2013 - Page 3 Dscn2610

Taken on 6/1, this pic is at the right end of the above pic.  I cut X's in the plastic to plant seedlings.  As for spacing, I kinda wing it, around 3 feet in all directions.  In my climate, crowding of the vegetation isn't a problem if we have above average weather.  If we have below average temps, the squash isn't going to produce well regardless of the spacing.
PNW: July 2013 - Page 3 Dscn3011

Boffer: Do I understand correctly that it's straight compost under the plastic? I know you have LOTS of compost! Your garden is amazing!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next