Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What am I doing wrong?  Toplef10What am I doing wrong?  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What am I doing wrong?  I22gcj10What am I doing wrong?  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What am I doing wrong?  Toplef10What am I doing wrong?  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What am I doing wrong?  I22gcj10What am I doing wrong?  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 18:02

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Wed 27 Mar - 10:38

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson Tue 26 Mar - 17:56

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna Mon 25 Mar - 16:31

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Sun 24 Mar - 15:01

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Sun 24 Mar - 13:28

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Sat 23 Mar - 18:02

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer Sat 23 Mar - 0:33

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary Fri 22 Mar - 19:50

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Fri 22 Mar - 17:07

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener Fri 22 Mar - 14:09

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising Fri 22 Mar - 11:53

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson Fri 22 Mar - 11:43

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn Thu 21 Mar - 19:09

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising Wed 20 Mar - 10:34

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson Tue 19 Mar - 16:51

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Mon 18 Mar - 10:34

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising Sun 17 Mar - 17:54

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Mon 11 Mar - 10:28

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Sun 10 Mar - 20:38

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener Sun 10 Mar - 8:16

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener Sat 9 Mar - 18:07

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan Sat 9 Mar - 15:09

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson Sat 9 Mar - 13:46

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy Fri 8 Mar - 19:56

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson Thu 7 Mar - 22:28

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising Thu 7 Mar - 9:33

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener Wed 6 Mar - 16:36

Google

Search SFG Forum

What am I doing wrong?

5 posters

Go down

What am I doing wrong?  Empty What am I doing wrong?

Post  kristinz Wed 19 Jun - 18:45

Started this compost barrel last year - my first ever.  I knew it would take longer than a few months because I was not diligent about mixing it.  It seems to be stuck in this stage.  I understand my eggshells weren't crushed enough (but that's what happens when you tell your mom you can add them, they get brought over and dumped in whole).  We stopped adding to the barrel about 2 weeks ago.  Compost starter (which I've seen recently on Amazon) was NOT added.  Should I try getting some of that to add?  I don't have a thermometer and tried to keep up with the Brown vs. Green ingredients.  Any suggestions or help about getting this back on track would be great.  We are starting a new 'trash can' compost barrel as I can't bring myself to put the scraps in the garbage disposal.  Also, doing  a couple of worm tubes in the gardens this week to help a little...

SOS SOSSOS

What am I doing wrong?  Image_10
kristinz
kristinz

Female Posts : 67

Back to top Go down

What am I doing wrong?  Empty Re: What am I doing wrong?

Post  cheyannarach Thu 20 Jun - 0:31

Have you been keeping the compost damp? That is what mine looks like but I was very bad about letting the barrel dry out.
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener Thu 20 Jun - 4:30

kristinz wrote:Started this compost barrel last year.  It seems to be stuck in this stage.  
Hi there,
Remember... what farmers & Gardeners for centuries did, & with great Smile success...
No fancy barrels, no thermometers, no 'starter', no artificial worm-tubes. Nope, they made a heap, & let it sit there 'til it was done to their liking.
(So all that money we wasted last year on a Compost-bin only made me embarrassed  & prolly made grandpa turn over in his grave, poor guy.) But I've repented, & so long as your Compost is black & starting to grumble, & when you add water, makes wonderful tea for your plants to drink, you've got it made! Be successful  cheers
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Female Posts : 370

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener Thu 20 Jun - 7:12

Forgot to add the usual advice: "If you have too many (greens = fruit & veggie peels, grass clippings), the pile will stay too wet and will start to smell.
If you have too many (browns = leaves, small twigs, shredded paper, & coffee grounds), the pile will only sit there. Try for a ratio of at least 4:1 of browns to greens."
That's funny, as I did just the opposite Very Happy iow way more green! than brown stuff; yet there's next to no odor, it dries out quickly, & is feeding plants well... yeah! sunny
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  kristinz Thu 20 Jun - 9:44

I agree that the best way to do things is probably the old way - but alas, a free barrel and the need to be able to move it from a convenient location near my patio to behind a shed when company comes to visit, made the barrel the best choice for us. And of course - saving valuable real estate for more gardens was a big plus! As far a worm tube, my main objective is to get worms into my garden as I put a good foundation of newspaper and cardboard under the bed, I doubt they will be coming in by themselves... Cheap too - got a good length of 4 inch pvc and can may about 3 or 4 tubes for $13.

I did not keep track of the brown to green ratio - maybe that's my first mistake. Also, I have never put water in the bin because it always seemed moist to me. I don't have access to any animal manure, so that never was mixed in. Since I am starting a new bin (out of a trash can) I will try to keep up on this one more and get the correct ratio. If I allow the grass to dry out (I put it on a tarp in the sun until it's good and dry before adding it) is this a brown? I think I will also go to some local coffee shops to see if I can get used grounds - I hear Starbucks is good for giving them away. Will call around. That may help also. I think I will add some water to this first batch and try to keep up on mixing it more... Aslo checking to see where I can score some free or cheap manure for the bin!
kristinz
kristinz

Female Posts : 67

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR Thu 20 Jun - 9:52

kristinz wrote:Started this compost barrel last year - my first ever.  I knew it would take longer than a few months because I was not diligent about mixing it.  It seems to be stuck in this stage.  I understand my eggshells weren't crushed enough (but that's what happens when you tell your mom you can add them, they get brought over and dumped in whole).  We stopped adding to the barrel about 2 weeks ago.  Compost starter (which I've seen recently on Amazon) was NOT added.  Should I try getting some of that to add?  I don't have a thermometer and tried to keep up with the Brown vs. Green ingredients.  Any suggestions or help about getting this back on track would be great.  We are starting a new 'trash can' compost barrel as I can't bring myself to put the scraps in the garbage disposal.  Also, doing  a couple of worm tubes in the gardens this week to help a little...

SOS SOSSOS

What am I doing wrong?  Image_10

Once you've got a pile or barrel full, stop adding to it. Your compost needs time to compost Very Happy If it needs a little kick in the pants, try adding something like alfalfa, corn meal or blood meal.

What am I doing wrong?  Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

What am I doing wrong?  Empty Compost

Post  landarch Thu 20 Jun - 14:08

It's difficult to tell from the pic, but it looks like you may be adding new material to finished compost.  I find it more difficult to manage an older compost pile when new materials are being added.  I have great luck with multiple piles, each one at a different stage of completion...new material only goes in the newest pile.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener Thu 20 Jun - 14:19

landarch wrote:multiple piles, each one at a different stage of completion...new material only goes in the newest pile.
Right Smile
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum