Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
peppers and eggplants lagging behind Toplef10peppers and eggplants lagging behind 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

peppers and eggplants lagging behind I22gcj10peppers and eggplants lagging behind 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
peppers and eggplants lagging behind Toplef10peppers and eggplants lagging behind 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

peppers and eggplants lagging behind I22gcj10peppers and eggplants lagging behind 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

peppers and eggplants lagging behind

+2
Dunkinjean
amcon222
6 posters

Go down

peppers and eggplants lagging behind Empty peppers and eggplants lagging behind

Post  amcon222 6/16/2013, 11:57 pm

Planted my first sfg this season on long island, ny ,and tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, lettuces, string beans are all doing nicely. Eggplants and peppers are lagging behind. Hardly any growth with them in this month old garden. I have a few varieties of peppers..cubanelles, jalapenos, cayenne. These were all purchased as seedlings and transplanted into the garden. They seem almost as small as when I first planted them. Any ideas why they are not taking off? All other plants seem to be doing well.
amcon222
amcon222

Back to top Go down

peppers and eggplants lagging behind Empty Re: peppers and eggplants lagging behind

Post  Dunkinjean 6/17/2013, 12:01 am

I am in Central NJ and all my plants are doing well except for my one and only pepper plant (only hubby eats peppers). It looks exactly the same size as when I planted it! I know that peppers love the heat, so since it has been raining constantly I believe that is why it is not doing as well.
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 694

http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

peppers and eggplants lagging behind Empty Re: peppers and eggplants lagging behind

Post  brainchasm 6/17/2013, 12:55 am

FWIW, my slowest plants are my serranos and my japanese white egg eggplants. And I'm in holy-hell-heat! And they still won't take off. Well, here's hoping their mustering their strength, or something.

I think my sunflower plant can take me in a fair fight...it's taller than me, and it keeps giving me dirty looks. Shocked
brainchasm
brainchasm

Male Posts : 481

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/17/2013, 6:30 am

Peppers, eggplants and tomato plants are heavy feeders. They like compost tea or a nice thick layer of compost top dressing.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

peppers and eggplants lagging behind WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

peppers and eggplants lagging behind Empty peppers amd eggplants lagging behind

Post  amcon222 6/17/2013, 11:29 am

Thanks everyone for your responses. We have been having a lot of rain and not such sunny days so maybe this does have something to do with it. I have them in good rich compost soil but will give a drink of compost tea if they dont perk up a bit in the next couple of weeks. Hoping they are just waiting to take off and are just slow starters. Love the forum and appreciate the feedback.
amcon222
amcon222

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 6/17/2013, 1:40 pm

brainchasm wrote:FWIW, my slowest plants are my serranos and my japanese white egg eggplants.  And I'm in holy-hell-heat!  And they still won't take off.  Well, here's hoping their mustering their strength, or something.

+1 The hot peppers are just being stubborn and 1 tomato. Sweet peppers and most tomatos are growing great. Eggplant and okra doing ok, but not as fast as I expected considering the heat we have had. But my son says his peppers - started from the same seed packs as mine - are taking off. His were transplanted about 2 weeks before mine.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  squaredeal 6/30/2013, 4:39 pm

July 1st, and my pepper plants are much smaller than last year.  Anyone else having that problem?
squaredeal
squaredeal

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/30/2013, 5:01 pm

squaredeal wrote:July 1st, and my pepper plants are much smaller than last year.  Anyone else having that problem?
Mine were but have really taken a jump in growth the past week from the heat and a thick top dressing of homemade compost.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

peppers and eggplants lagging behind WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

peppers and eggplants lagging behind Empty Re: Peppers and Eggplants lagging behind

Post  amcon222 7/2/2013, 11:39 pm

As of today, my peppers and eggplants are starting to pick up a little but are still considerably behind the rest of the garden. I am going to give a top layer of compost tomorrow for some more help. That is, in between rain spells that we've been having. I have added epsom salt around the base of the peppers and tomatoes because I read that magnesium helps them grow. Was this correct? A few of my tiniest pepper plants have flowers and I am not sure why they are not growing in height and fullness yet are producing flowers. Any ideas? The rest of my 1st square foot garden has taken hold beautifully. My cucumbers and zucchini are growing wild! I planted a bunch of pepper plants so I hope they play catch-up real soon.
amcon222
amcon222

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down