Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Female zucchini flowers won't fully open - Page 2 Toplef10Female zucchini flowers won't fully open - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Female zucchini flowers won't fully open - Page 2 I22gcj10Female zucchini flowers won't fully open - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Female zucchini flowers won't fully open - Page 2 Toplef10Female zucchini flowers won't fully open - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Female zucchini flowers won't fully open - Page 2 I22gcj10Female zucchini flowers won't fully open - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 11:26 am

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 11:19 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Female zucchini flowers won't fully open

+9
herblover
sanderson
Triciasgarden
grownsunshine
southern gardener
TxGramma
camprn
brainchasm
iiiigardener
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Female zucchini flowers won't fully open - Page 2 Empty Re: Female zucchini flowers won't fully open

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 11/22/2013, 11:39 pm

I ran into some female flowers that did likewise, I simply gently opened up the petals and pollinated them and more often than not I was rewarded with a fruit.

But I'd love to hear any answer on why in case there's something I can do differently next year.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Female zucchini flowers won't fully open - Page 2 Empty Re: Female zucchini flowers won't fully open

Post  sanderson 11/23/2013, 1:23 am

Audrey,  I did the same on some of the winter squash female flowers!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  edwinlgk 11/23/2013, 11:36 am

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:I ran into some female flowers that did likewise, I simply gently opened up the petals and pollinated them and more often than not I was rewarded with a fruit.

But I'd love to hear any answer on why in case there's something I can do differently next year.
Hey audrey! I should try out your method =D Thx!Very Happy 

Sanderson, 
Thank you so much for your advices, it was very helpful!!Female zucchini flowers won't fully open - Page 2 3170584802
edwinlgk
edwinlgk

Male Posts : 18

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 11/23/2013, 12:37 pm

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:I ran into some female flowers that did likewise, I simply gently opened up the petals and pollinated them and more often than not I was rewarded with a fruit.

I've never had female flowers that would not open. But I would concur with your advice, Audrey. And it would be good to do it early, before the pistil dries and is unreceptive to the pollen. Even when they open, squash flowers tend to be open only for a few hours, and early morning is the best time to get that pollen into them.

The photo is an excellent one to show the abortion in progress - from inadequate pollination.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  edwinlgk 11/24/2013, 12:58 am

Pollinator wrote:

I've never had female flowers that would not open. But I would concur with your advice, Audrey. And it would be good to do it early, before the pistil dries and is unreceptive to the pollen. Even when they open, squash flowers tend to be open only for a few hours, and early morning is the best time to get that pollen into them.

The photo is an excellent one to show the abortion in progress - from inadequate pollination.
Would amount of sun light they get per day play a part?
edwinlgk
edwinlgk

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/24/2013, 1:54 am

It seems like your November would be our May, and May is beautiful here in California with enough sun hours to grow anything.  Others may  have better input than this Newbie, though.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 11/25/2013, 3:12 am

Being on the equator, Malaysia has sunrise at about 6 am and is dark by 6 pm.  That's the hours here on Palawan.  FYI, at low tide it is sometimes possible to walk from Palawan to Malaysia. Anyway, there is plenty of sunshine and heat. In fact, the most successful gardening project here actually grows most things under shade cloth.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  edwinlgk 11/25/2013, 7:59 am

walshevak wrote:Being on the equator, Malaysia has sunrise at about 6 am and is dark by 6 pm.  That's the hours here on Palawan.  FYI, at low tide it is sometimes possible to walk from Palawan to Malaysia.  Anyway, there is plenty of sunshine and heat.  In fact, the most successful gardening project here actually grows most things under shade cloth.  

Kay
 Hi Kay, I am planning to cover up the place already. I felt that the sun can be a bit too strong at times. Have u planted Zucchinis before? 

The weather here can be a bit crazy, it rains a lot here. Like today it started raining around 4.30pm and it is still raining (albeit) light rain right now. It is a very wet city. Wonder did the rain do the damage too...No Sad
edwinlgk
edwinlgk

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 11/25/2013, 5:28 pm

edwinlgk wrote:
walshevak wrote:Being on the equator, Malaysia has sunrise at about 6 am and is dark by 6 pm.  That's the hours here on Palawan.  FYI, at low tide it is sometimes possible to walk from Palawan to Malaysia.  Anyway, there is plenty of sunshine and heat.  In fact, the most successful gardening project here actually grows most things under shade cloth.  

Kay
 Hi Kay, I am planning to cover up the place already. I felt that the sun can be a bit too strong at times. Have u planted Zucchinis before? 

The weather here can be a bit crazy, it rains a lot here. Like today it started raining around 4.30pm and it is still raining (albeit) light rain right now. It is a very wet city. Wonder did the rain do the damage too...No Sad

This is my first time spending more than 3 weeks in PI. Staying 6 months this trip as an experiment to see if this will be my winter home.  All my daughters-in-law are Filipina so I have extended family ties.

So far I've only planted Hanover Mustard, Red Russian Kale, chard, thai basil, black seeded simpson lettuce,  collards,  and sungold cherry tomatoes.  I don't know what will grow and I'm limited to buckets right now. But I brought a large variety of seed with me.

I had to move the seedling out from under the shade cloth right now.  They were getting too leggy.  I think being under a tree and the shade cloth was too much.  And they did get beat down in some down pours earlier.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  edwinlgk 11/26/2013, 7:02 am

Yea sometimes They get kinda leggy under the shade. I plan to make a plastic covering to protect it from the monsoon rain and hopefully control the water intake a bit.
edwinlgk
edwinlgk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2