Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
beneficial nematodes Toplef10beneficial nematodes 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

beneficial nematodes I22gcj10beneficial nematodes 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
beneficial nematodes Toplef10beneficial nematodes 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

beneficial nematodes I22gcj10beneficial nematodes 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 11:26 am

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 11:19 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

beneficial nematodes

+6
Turan
CapeCoddess
has55
hruten
plantoid
jewlz2121
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

beneficial nematodes Empty beneficial nematodes

Post  jewlz2121 5/31/2013, 10:13 am

Beneficial nematodes...Who all uses them? What do you use them for? How do you use it? Do you use them as a preventative or use after you see pests? I'm trying to decide if my various bugs would benefit from adding this to the garden. I know there are bad nematodes as well...any chance that adding the good ones brings the bad ones?
Thanks!
jewlz2121
jewlz2121

Female Posts : 62

Back to top Go down

beneficial nematodes Empty Re: beneficial nematodes

Post  plantoid 5/31/2013, 4:42 pm

I use slug nematodes to kill and eat the slugs in my beds .
it's very good . This is my second year of using a three stage programme set for 6 weeks apart . there is at present no evidence of slugs or snails in my 3 foot raised beds but there is a bit of slug chew on some of the lower leaves on the climbing beans set out in mother natures own brand of soil.
I'm told that usually after three or four years the slugs will have all but disappeared for at least another seven years because of the large quantity of living nematode control in the beds .

Next year I hope to move to also using carrot fly nematode controls as they also wallop other pests as effectively

If I spend 2p on protecting each of around 500 carrots It will be far cheaper than buying other carrot fly controls even more so if there is a residual effect building up as well .

The nematode control I buy can be put on in a watering can using a fine rose or it can be sprayed on using a low pressure pump up sprayer with long spray lance on a long tube that has never ever seen any disinfectants or weed killers put through any of it.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

beneficial nematodes Empty SLUG PATROL!

Post  hruten 6/1/2013, 8:29 am

I haven't done it yet, but we plan on putting nematodes all over our YARD! We have a lot of slugs. The difficulty is that you need to keep the area good and wet until the nematodes have a chance to burrow into the soil and get.... ummm... going. A good side effect is that without the slugs, the moles won't come and dig up your yard too Wink

Good luck.
hruten
hruten

Female Posts : 159

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 4/13/2015, 11:06 pm

I found this youtube on beneficial nematodes and how they use it in a green house. impressed that they don't use any insecticides.

has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 4/14/2015, 12:15 am

Pesticide Free: Beneficial Nematodes
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 4/14/2015, 1:56 am

a site for many organic pest control including beneficial nematodes.

Beneficial Insects & Organisms
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/14/2015, 10:02 am

HA!  I just posted about these in the Grubs thread!  Thanks for the links!  I'll look at them as soon as I get a chance.

Have you tried them yet, has55?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 4/16/2015, 1:47 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:HA!  I just posted about these in the Grubs thread!  Thanks for the links!  I'll look at them as soon as I get a chance.

Have you tried them yet, has55?

CC
not in the past. I'm on my way to buy some from four season nursery or the feed store here in denton, tx
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/16/2015, 3:50 pm

I ordered some on Amazon and they will be here by next Thursday. I'll be able to spread them out over the weekend. It's supposed to rain here this weekend so it should be perfect. Let's compare notes after a few weeks, has55, and see how they did.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 4/16/2015, 7:43 pm

ok, sounds good.
Anyone knows how to grow or raise nematodes? Trying to cut cost. I found something, but it not too clear. Had to go out of the box for this info

Culturing beneficial nematodes
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/19/2015, 7:06 am

here's a photo of the packaging of the beneficial nematodes that I received this week from Amazon. The website is posted on the bottom right. beneficial nematodes Img_2016
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 4/19/2015, 2:06 pm

Three years ago I saw maggot damage in my some of my carrots and onions.  I applied beneficial nematodes I bought from Planet Natural.  I have seen no damage since.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2619

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 4/23/2015, 12:52 pm

has55 wrote:ok, sounds good.
Anyone knows how to grow or raise nematodes? Trying to cut cost. I found something, but it not too clear. Had to go out of the box for this info

Culturing beneficial nematodes
anyone else have any idea about how to raise nematodes? thought I would put it out there again.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 4/23/2015, 1:49 pm

I went back and reviewed the instruction on that cannabis site for growing and harvesting nematodes. the dots finally connected for me after several readings.  The key is having a starter kit. after that you can keep growing the nematodes forever with yeast, oatmeal , etc... 
I went to the aquaculture store and found the kit cost 12.00...that's cheap. I also have sent a email to them for further in-depth questions, will post when I find out answers. 
when i reviewed other sites like ARBICO Organics  for just nematodes it quickly got expensive for just their smallest size: Backyard size, 1/2 garden size, 5 million nematodes for 1600 sq ft, 2nd day air.. below is their cost list:

beneficial nematodes Nemato11

beneficial nematodes Nemato12

on the surface it seem a comfortable pricing, but since it must be sent 2nd day air the simple 16.00 change to 36.00. that's very expensive to me, esp if you need to do it more than once. see below
beneficial nematodes Nemato10
this is why I exploring doing it myself to lower the cost like i'm doing with growing my own food for self and friends, raising earthworm, vermicomposting, composting tea and later more intense composting and harvesting seeds as many do on this forum. this would allow me to make many mistake and also flood the SFG bed and yard with beneficial nematodes for almost nothing. I hope I can pull this off. I noticed that many of the insects that are enemy to our plants either live in the soil or start off in infancy in the soil.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/23/2015, 3:23 pm

I read thru you link for the cannabis site back when you first posted it and thought it was very interesting.  The only thing that stops me from trying this is that it could fail and you have to start over.  If you get the kit, can you divide it up so if you fail you can start over without more expense?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 4/23/2015, 4:04 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:I read thru you link for the cannabis site back when you first posted it and thought it was very interesting.  The only thing that stops me from trying this is that it could fail and you have to start over.  If you get the kit, can you divide it up so if you fail you can start over without more expense?

CC
good question. I'll asked that when they respond to my email.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 4/23/2015, 4:12 pm

I found another link by Michigan State University Extension,
Rearing nematodes: Do-it-yourself guide
 and another older link with testing.

Beneficial Nematodes - They Work!

this site had a video how to do it free, it out of the UK. It's the 2nd video on this page

slug control using nematodes for FREE!
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 4/24/2015, 11:56 am

grey fun and very informative video from orcin on nematodes. I will start growing them and apply them in the garden, yard and around the base of the house for termite control. Sanderson, you showed us pictures of severe termite damage to your SFG beds. It made me looks at the nematodes  as a great solution for that problem for my property. This will go beyond the SFG Journey.

has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 11/6/2015, 10:35 pm

this is one one the best video that explains method and outcome that I seen in a while. 
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 2/22/2016, 4:50 am

got this info about nematodes from page 17 from the "compost tea brewing manual" . This is a good way to eliminate the bag guys in the soil that attack our plants, but get the good guys that will destroy the insect pest that harbor over in the winter.
I always wondered if there was sufficient nematodes in compost or compost tea.

Nematodes.

Like protozoa, nearly all the nematodes in the compost will be extracted in good tea making machines because enough energy is applied to the compost to pull these organisms out of the compost. Dripping water through compost is not adequate for extraction, however. Good compost normally contains fifty to several hundred beneficial nematodes per gram, which can be extracted into the tea. All these nematodes should be beneficial; only poor compost would contain root-feeding nematodes.

Nematodes play a number of different roles in soil, and it is important to recognize that while one group of nematodes is detrimental to plant growth, most nematodes in soil are beneficial for plant growth.

There are four major functional groups of nematodes in soil:

• Plant-feeders are the “bad guys”, and consume root material, reducing plant growth and yield,

• Bacterial-feeders consume bacteria, releasing N, P, S, etc which are then available for plant uptake,

• Fungal-feeders consume fungi, releasing N, P, S, etc which are available for plant uptake, and

• Predatory nematodes consume other nematodes and keep the population numbers of the bad guys, and the good guys, under control. Too many bacterial-feeders could reduce bacterial populations below the level needed to suppress disease, retain nutrients, decompose residues, or build soil aggregates. Thus predators are important controls on the foodweb system.

Compost that has reached high enough temperatures for long enough (131F or 55C for three full days in all parts of the pile), or been processed completely by earthworms (surface contact, or passage through the nematode digestive system) will not contain root-feeding nematodes. Care is needed to choose compost that is mature in order to have a good set of beneficial nematodes in the compost. Awareness of postproduction

contamination is also required.

Beneficial nematodes do not start to grow in a compost pile until after temperature drops back to less than approximately 115° F (45° C).

Both predatory and most fungal-feeding nematodes are killed if the pile is

turned too often. Thus, the pile has to mature, unturned, at least two to three weeks AFTER temperature has dropped below 115° F (45° C) in order for there to even be a hope that it will contain adequate nematode numbers.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 2/22/2016, 8:39 am

Then my cold pile should just be TEEMING with them!

Thanks, Has55!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5601

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 4/12/2017, 12:05 pm

has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 4/12/2017, 12:57 pm

I added these pictures because I found some past links were taken down. This way it's on our forum for future use.
beneficial nematodes Rearin10
beneficial nematodes Rearin11
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 4/12/2017, 1:00 pm

How to use your nematodes.beneficial nematodes How_to10
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginger Blue 4/12/2017, 1:02 pm

Interesting!  Somehow I missed this thread before.  I never realized cultivating nematodes is possible (beyond a commercial venture).

To answer the question posed in the OP, when I lived in Arizona, I used beneficial nematodes to combat an established infestation of brown ticks in my back yard. Purchased from Arbico, two applications, during the summer monsoon season, were enough to rid the yard of the ticks, as well as excess numbers of crickets and flies.

Good stuff; thanks for posting the video, Has!  okay  I guess the stench from the bucket would be a small price to pay for a valuable, sustainable resource... Shocked cutesie
Ginger Blue
Ginger Blue

Female Posts : 281

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next