Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I have my supplies (mostly) purchased! Toplef10I have my supplies (mostly) purchased! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I have my supplies (mostly) purchased! I22gcj10I have my supplies (mostly) purchased! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I have my supplies (mostly) purchased! Toplef10I have my supplies (mostly) purchased! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I have my supplies (mostly) purchased! I22gcj10I have my supplies (mostly) purchased! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

I have my supplies (mostly) purchased!

+8
llama momma
camprn
dvelten
jimmy cee
boffer
ETNRedClay
meatburner
lifelovepassion
12 posters

Go down

I have my supplies (mostly) purchased! Empty I have my supplies (mostly) purchased!

Post  lifelovepassion 5/25/2013, 9:45 pm

We are going to make 2 4x8 boxes, placed 3 feet apart, with a fence around them. There will be a gate between the two boxes and the 8 foot sides will have 2 swinging sides, so they can open to tend to them and close to keep the critters out. I found Peat moss, Vermiculite and Chickety doo doo, along with mushroom compost and a manure/compost blend. Tomorrow I am going to go exchange my vermiculite for a coarser grade found at a local store. They also have worm castings. Dh can't believe I am paying for poop!
lifelovepassion
lifelovepassion

Back to top Go down

I have my supplies (mostly) purchased! Empty Re: I have my supplies (mostly) purchased!

Post  meatburner 5/25/2013, 9:49 pm

Do you have a question or just letting us know what you are doing? Sounds like you are off to a good start.
meatburner
meatburner

Male Posts : 362

Back to top Go down

I have my supplies (mostly) purchased! Empty Re: I have my supplies (mostly) purchased!

Post  lifelovepassion 5/25/2013, 10:03 pm

No question! Just sharing my excitement! Weather permitting we will be building tomorrow.
lifelovepassion
lifelovepassion

Back to top Go down

Post  ETNRedClay 5/25/2013, 10:03 pm

Sounds like you have 4 good composts. Any ideas on a 5th? I struggled to get a 5th but ended up with:

aged horse stall leavings
Nutri-fiber with bio-char
Black Kow
Black Hen &
mushroom compost

Oddly, the bulk mushroom was the hardest since I was late getting there and the plant was OUT. Finally found some of last years at a local place, which was fine with me.

Later I found worm castings so now I had a little to each hole as I plant,

Meanwhile I'm composting EVERYTHING I can get my hands on -- one neighbor has pastured horses, one has pastured goats (mean ones, so we're still getting acquainted), one neighbor runs an organic lawn service and there are a few clients who make him take the clippings away... TO ME! He'll also bring me leaves in the fall. And I am looking at kitchen scraps in a whole new light!

I even planted extra beans and squash knowing I won't eat them all, but they will make EXCELLENT green manure and compost later on.
ETNRedClay
ETNRedClay

Female Posts : 210

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/25/2013, 10:18 pm

ETNRedClay wrote:...I even planted extra beans and squash knowing I won't eat them all, but they will make EXCELLENT green manure and compost later on.

Excellent compost yes. As to whether green manure is worth the effort in an SFG box, you might read this thread first, and then decide.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t8236-green-manure-does-not-come-from-cows
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 5/25/2013, 11:04 pm

I saw this at lowes 2 months ago, it looked so good I purchased a bag just to add a little to my compost.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  dvelten 5/25/2013, 11:29 pm

LLP, you say you have "Chickety doo doo." Do you mean you found composted chicken manure, or the product of that name? Chickity Doo Doo the product is a high nitrogen fertilizer, not a compost, and should not be used as a compost component in Mel's Mix. It is just green chicken manure that is dried and granulated so it can be used in a drop spreader for lawns. You need real compost for your beds.
dvelten
dvelten

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 155

http://davessfggarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  lifelovepassion 5/26/2013, 7:51 am

I think my last compost will be cows manure, I found a store semi-close to me that carries some.

I will double check the chicken stuff I bought, thanks for the warning.
lifelovepassion
lifelovepassion

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/26/2013, 8:07 am

dvelten wrote:LLP, you say you have "Chickety doo doo." Do you mean you found composted chicken manure, or the product of that name? Chickity Doo Doo the product is a high nitrogen fertilizer, not a compost, and should not be used as a compost component in Mel's Mix. It is just green chicken manure that is dried and granulated so it can be used in a drop spreader for lawns. You need real compost for your beds.
+1, this is IMPORTANT. you need compost to make the Mel's Mix. Good luck.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

I have my supplies (mostly) purchased! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/26/2013, 8:08 am

jimmy cee wrote:

I saw this at lowes 2 months ago, it looked so good I purchased a bag just to add a little to my compost.
You do mean to add to the compost pile and not to the Mel's mix, or am I misunderstanding?

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

I have my supplies (mostly) purchased! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 5/26/2013, 8:19 am

When I converted my first bed to SFG I used compost from our local recycle center.
The mgr told me it consisted of brush, grass clippings, and leaves.
After screening it the material looked great, I added a small amount of (about a cup) to each 5 gallon bucket while measuring.
Chicitty doo doo, finished horse manure, cow manure compost, mushroom manure from last year,
and Bio-Char
A cup of each in the 5 gallon bucket, I am extremely pleased with the results
I posted these images to show how my using the local recycle's compost, along with the additives worked for me
I have two 4 X 4 compost piles working now, I'll not need the recycle's again.
I have my supplies (mostly) purchased! Sat_0010
I have my supplies (mostly) purchased! Sat_0011
I have my supplies (mostly) purchased! Sat_0012
I posted these images to show how my using the local recycle's compost, along with the additives worked for me
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  lifelovepassion 5/26/2013, 9:59 pm

Projects always seem to take much longer than planned. Today we had to go back for other supplies in the morning. The local store I found coarse vermiculite at was closed for the holiday weekend. So actually mixing the mix will be Tuesday at the earliest. We got the base frame made and the vertical supports for the fence attached. They are roughly in place. I'm not sure we will get to complete it tomorrow or not as we have a few other things to accomplish. Plus I have to order 4 foot hardware cloth as I found it cheaper online than in store. So even if I get the soil mixed, I won't have a fence until next week.
lifelovepassion
lifelovepassion

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 5/27/2013, 6:49 am

lifelovepassion wrote:Projects always seem to take much longer than planned. ..... So even if I get the soil mixed, I won't have a fence until next week.
Hang in there, it can be frustrating but it'll get done! I've also had to delay my gardening goals for this week too. It's one of those life lessons -fooey- that force you to go with the flow. What a Face
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 5/27/2013, 9:21 am

Llama momma; love your location tag! I can so relate!
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 5/27/2013, 4:44 pm

You are the first one to mention it thanks! I think a great many of us can claim the same. Feel free to use it in your tag too!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  lifelovepassion 5/27/2013, 8:59 pm

Well, nothing got accomplished today as I had a migraine that lasted 8 hours. Here's hoping tomorrow is a much better day.
lifelovepassion
lifelovepassion

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 5/27/2013, 9:24 pm

lifelovepassion wrote:Well, nothing got accomplished today as I had a migraine that lasted 8 hours. Here's hoping tomorrow is a much better day.

Some days we just do what we can, some days we know we can't do anything. There's always tomorrow.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/27/2013, 9:56 pm

Hated those migraines!! Couldn't do a thing, no matter how important an event was. My sympathy.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 5/28/2013, 12:45 am

lifelovepassion wrote:Well, nothing got accomplished today as I had a migraine that lasted 8 hours. Here's hoping tomorrow is a much better day.

Hope tomorrow is bright and pain free. No fair when things get in the way of gardening!
Sure can relate. I had a molar die with large abscess with nasty spreading infection, had the tooth pulled Monday afternoon, now I can't do any lifting for a couple days, delaying once again mixing new mels mix and transplanting a full dining room table of plants.
sobbing
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Lillyz 5/28/2013, 1:55 am

I can totally relate. I hope that you feel better soon. Migraines are the pits.

Lillyz
Lillyz

Female Posts : 128

Back to top Go down

Post  lifelovepassion 6/5/2013, 8:06 pm

Well, things haven't progressed much (yet). We were gone and it's been super rainy. The weather is looking much better this weekend. But I have all my supplies. I ended up ordering hardware cloth from Amazon for my fence/gates. It was the cheapest place I could find it.
lifelovepassion
lifelovepassion

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum