Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hurry up Peas!! Toplef10Hurry up Peas!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hurry up Peas!! I22gcj10Hurry up Peas!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hurry up Peas!! Toplef10Hurry up Peas!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hurry up Peas!! I22gcj10Hurry up Peas!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hurry up Peas!!

+10
CapeCoddess
GWN
Triciasgarden
moswell
plantoid
Dunkinjean
yolos
landarch
Goosegirl
Andrea13
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hurry up Peas!! Empty Hurry up Peas!!

Post  Andrea13 5/16/2013, 9:36 pm

We had such a cold spring that it took my shelling peas 3 weeks longer to germinate than I expected....they are about 3 feet tall and beautiful, but no flowers yet. I need their squares for my tomatoes, and I'm starting to get impatient. They are in the northern 8 of my 8x4 - 4 squares are even 2 weeks further behind. I guess I messed that up and thought they would open up sooner. What would you guys do? I can sacrifice some lettuce from elsewhere and use those squares for tomatoes, but it would throw off my whole plan and would not be ideal due to trellis, shading issues, etc... I would hate to kill 8 squares of pea plants that are well on their way.

Should I just be patient and give them a few weeks? I can NOT miss out on my window to plant tomatoes, that's the highlight of my whole year!!
Andrea13
Andrea13

Female Posts : 38

Back to top Go down

Hurry up Peas!! Empty Re: Hurry up Peas!!

Post  Goosegirl 5/16/2013, 10:32 pm

If your tomato plants are small, they could be tucked into the peas and by the time the tomato plants are big enough to need the trellis space you may be done harvesting the peas. thinking

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 5/17/2013, 10:26 am

this happened to me last year...I sacrificed some peas and planted tomatoes but tried to leave as many peas as possible...we were able to pick some peas before the tomatoes crowded everything out...seemed like peas take forever especially since they love cold weather.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/17/2013, 11:17 am

You are in Maryland. You have plenty of time to wait till the peas come in then plant your tomaotes. But they will not be as early as you usually harvest. So depends on whether you want to wait for the tomatoes for a later harvest. Or try the suggestions already given to compromise. Or plant one tomato right now so you get some early ones and then wait till your peas come in to plant the rest of your tomatoes.

I picked my first pea last night after work and we all tried one little pea to see how sweet it was. Oh good good.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrea13 5/17/2013, 2:21 pm

Thanks everyone - I appreciate all the replies! Very Happy

I was thinking there is absolutely NO room to squeeze a tomato in between the peas, since they are 8 per square, but maybe I can compromise and remove just a few peas to make some room for little tomatoes - I like that idea a lot!

Also good to know I still have time. I'm not in a huge rush, I am just worried about missing the tomato window altogether. Sounds like I have a little time before that's a concern.

Again, many thanks for the suggestions! I really didn't want to miss out on my first taste of home grown peas, and now I don't think I have to cheers
Andrea13
Andrea13

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 5/17/2013, 2:43 pm

with our weather I would have ran into the same issue again this year, so I planted peas by themselves in a separate 2x4 box (8 squares)...then the box will be open after peas are harvested for peppers or fall brocolli, cauliflower, beets, carrots, etc.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrea13 5/18/2013, 8:41 am

I wish I would have thought far enough ahead to plan it that way - oh well Smile I actually thought my peas were gonners, but sure enough a month after I sowed the seads they all sprouted. I guess you just have to go with the flow.

And sure enough, the first little blooms made their appearance this morning...YAY!! happy turtle
Andrea13
Andrea13

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 5/18/2013, 10:12 pm

Andrea13 wrote: I actually thought my peas were gonners, but sure enough a month after I sowed the seads they all sprouted. I guess you just have to go with the flow.

I had the same issue. I planted April 1, and then we had 4 more snowstorms. The first ones sprouted April 28.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 5/19/2013, 11:55 pm

My peas have been a little slow in coming, but just on Friday I finally saw a blossom - rock on
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 694

http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 5/20/2013, 9:26 am

...looks like my peas survived threats of severe thunderstorms, hail, and tornado watches/ warnings last night...OK and KS are supposed to be in for round two today.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 5/20/2013, 4:11 pm

I've started all my peas two seeds at a time in my bottomless pot /tubes ( X 8 tubes at a time ) in the glasshouse .
When they got 3 inches tall I planted them out in the beds after a days hardening off .

I've now got three different stages of peas growing , two in my beds & one in the green house nearly big enough to plant out in a bed .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell 5/24/2013, 9:29 pm

Dunkinjean wrote:My peas have been a little slow in coming, but just on Friday I finally saw a blossom - rock on
Phew - so it's not just me! I just finally saw a blossom late last week as well. At least the peas shouldn't fare too badly during this weird cold snap. Here's hoping the tomatoes don't suffer too much as well. Smile
moswell
moswell

Female Posts : 366

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 5/25/2013, 8:19 pm

My peas are probably only 8-10" tall at the most and they are vining type, not bush type. I planted them April 4th. I planted two seeds per hole and only about 1/4 of all the seeds grew. It gets annoying with such a low germination rate and it seems to happen every year with me. I have used the innoculant most years and I soak them for a bit before I plant them.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 5/26/2013, 9:03 am

Triciasgarden wrote:My peas are probably only 8-10" tall at the most and they are vining type, not bush type. I planted them April 4th. I planted two seeds per hole and only about 1/4 of all the seeds grew. It gets annoying with such a low germination rate and it seems to happen every year with me. I have used the innoculant most years and I soak them for a bit before I plant them.

Tricia - My peas are about the same height, or shorter, and I planted on April 1st. I did get better germination (about 90%) but they are just SLOW this year. We are currently in cooler weather (60's during day, 40's to 50's at night) with constant rain or mist, and the peas are loving it. Most of their growth has been in the last week during our constant rain. We had one dry day (Thursday) after 5 days of rain, and now at least the next full week is supposed to be wet. Here's hoping for some peas!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 5/26/2013, 9:50 am

I just got a few flowers from my peas as well. I am thinking that though everything I planted very early... has survived... they really have not DONE anything yet, and so I wonder what was the point in planting so early :scratch:
My tomatoes are doing so well in 5 gallon buckets I think I am just going to leave them in buckets. The ones actually planted in garden look very anemic. Have you thought of keeping tomatoes in large buckets?
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/26/2013, 1:04 pm

GWN wrote:I am thinking that though everything I planted very early... has survived... they really have not DONE anything yet, and so I wonder what was the point in planting so early :scratch:

I'm coming to the same conclusion, altho I have to admit, starting all those seeds in Jan, Feb & March kept me sane thru that crazy winter we had. I think that's why I did it.

I haven't done toms in a bucket but I'm seriously thinking of putting a window box on the other side of my pea trellis and sticking some cucs & melons or squash in it.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Lillyz 5/26/2013, 11:30 pm

Triciasgarden wrote:My peas are probably only 8-10" tall at the most and they are vining type, not bush type. I planted them April 4th. I planted two seeds per hole and only about 1/4 of all the seeds grew. It gets annoying with such a low germination rate and it seems to happen every year with me. I have used the innoculant most years and I soak them for a bit before I plant them.

Tricia,
I planted my "snow" peas on March 17. They are about 18-24" and today I noticed 1 blossom on them plus a few buds that will probably open tomorrow. I had excellent germination rate, soaked overnight before direct sowing. I thought I had lost them at least once because of hard freezes. I think they are starting to blossom because its been hot for the past few days mid-80s and up.

GWN,
Been doing tomatoes in containers for a few years now. They seem to like it. I bought three because the ones I started all died from damping off. Early girl is starting to blossom. They have been in containers since 5/15.
Lillyz
Lillyz

Female Posts : 128

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/27/2013, 12:27 pm

I planted my sweet peas on 2/24/13. I harvested my first batch last night 5/26/13. Two cups after shelling. This is the first time I have been able to harvest sweet peas in the spring. The cool weather here helped get them to harvest time. They were supposed to be ready in 65 days but took 90 days to mature.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 5/27/2013, 12:32 pm

Lilly
GWN,
Been doing tomatoes in containers for a few years now. They seem to like it. I bought three because the ones I started all died from damping off. Early girl is starting to blossom. They have been in containers since 5/15.
ME TOO. I keep about 7 plants in greenhouse which is totally open all summer, I have about 12 plants in pots and the rest in ground. The ones in pots are ahead and really no difference between the ones in the ground as far as production.

YOLOS.... I am envious. I planted mine in Feb as well and only now have gotten flowers..... HOWEVER I have lots of flowers so perhaps lots of peas soon.
I am taking this opportunity to plant peas everywhere with my second planting. (I always forget to keep on planting Embarassed )
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 5/27/2013, 5:56 pm

So I figure I should have planted my peas earlier and soaked them overnight. I will have to write that down for the Fall or next year.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 5/28/2013, 9:13 am

my peas just bloomed yesterday...hopefully the SFG will survive 4-5 more days of forecasted rain (I guess the drought is probably over).
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 5/28/2013, 2:37 pm

Hopefully you will get rain regularly (without flooding) to get you guys out of the drought!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/28/2013, 3:27 pm

No pea flowers here. But I have a cherry tomato that looks like a Lesueur pea...does that count? Rolling Eyes

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/28/2013, 10:02 pm

Because I was not at home until May 8, I'm not going to have any peas this year. Sad And peas are something I really love to eat. The peas I planted at my son's house started blooming just before I left so I didn't get any of his either.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/28/2013, 10:26 pm

I already harvested one batch, here is the second batch.

Hurry up Peas!! Sweet_10
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next