Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mulch for Hot Weather Toplef10Mulch for Hot Weather 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mulch for Hot Weather I22gcj10Mulch for Hot Weather 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mulch for Hot Weather Toplef10Mulch for Hot Weather 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mulch for Hot Weather I22gcj10Mulch for Hot Weather 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mulch for Hot Weather

+15
Goosegirl
Turan
RoOsTeR
Lemonie
ErinTX
GloriaG
HOUSTONMOM
donnainzone5
Windmere
yolos
dvelten
CapeCoddess
camprn
Chopper
sanderson
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mulch for Hot Weather Empty Mulch for Hot Weather

Post  sanderson 5/16/2013, 2:54 am

I need to cover my MM with mulch. The MM is crusty and hot, I'm watering with a hose wand at least once a day in addition to the drip lines that we are allowed to run 3 times a week. And, we haven't even hit the 100's yet! Any recommendations? I don't mind removing the mulch each time I have to work in a square. Thanks
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Mulch for Hot Weather Empty Re: Mulch for Hot Weather

Post  Chopper 5/16/2013, 3:01 am

Any organic mulch would do and also contribute to compost at end of season. Straw comes to mind. Try to get straw rather than hay as there are fewer (supposed to be no) seeds.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/16/2013, 6:24 am

I prefer a shredded bark mulch in the garden beds and wood chips in paths.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Mulch for Hot Weather WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/16/2013, 7:27 am

I use pine needles but am considering using unfinished compost that is mostly mowed oak leaves this year.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  dvelten 5/16/2013, 7:46 am

I don't know if you can find it in California, but I like to use chopped straw. I get it from Agway in compressed bales like peat moss. It is heat treated to kill any weed seeds and is a light, straw color so it will reflect sunlight. I used to buy Mainely Mulch from Maine, but this year I tried Mulch Master which seems the same. The Mulch Master from Canada is marketed to landscapers for newly-seeded lawns so it might be more widely available. The stuff decomposes after a year or so.
dvelten
dvelten

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 155

http://davessfggarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/16/2013, 10:27 am

I use pine needles on my strawberries but am afraid to use it on other veggies because I think it changes the acidity of the soil if it has not been composted.

I also use shredded bark as a mulch. The water seems to easily pass thru the mulch into the soil and then keeps it from evaporating.

This year I am trying composted oak leaves that are about 75% composted but not yet finished. I put them around my tomatoes last weekend and the soil under them is still damp. Whether I use it again will be determined by how easily the water can get thru the mulch to the soil underneath.

I tried wheat straw as a mulch last year. I got a good growth of wheat over the winter in every bed that I used the wheat straw. It was good for my compost pile but not good for the veggie beds.

yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Mulch for Hot Weather Empty Pine straw....

Post  Windmere 5/16/2013, 10:36 am

yolos wrote:I use pine needles on my strawberries but am afraid to use it on other veggies because I think it changes the acidity of the soil if it has not been composted.

I also use shredded bark as a mulch. The water seems to easily pass thru the mulch into the soil and then keeps it from evaporating.

This year I am trying composted oak leaves that are about 75% composted but not yet finished. I put them around my tomatoes last weekend and the soil under them is still damp. Whether I use it again will be determined by how easily the water can get thru the mulch to the soil underneath.

I tried wheat straw as a mulch last year. I got a good growth of wheat over the winter in every bed that I used the wheat straw. It was good for my compost pile but not good for the veggie beds.

Hi yolos,

I like your idea of using pine straw for certain crops. I have an ABUNDANCE of pine straw. However, like you, I have heard that it does change the soil's ph to a more acid content You mentioned you use shredded bark. Do you have a specific brand that works well for you? Any favorite store to obtain it from? Since we are neighbors, I thought it would be a good idea to ask you location of store.

Also, I have heard that a bit of pine straw on potato beds is very helpful for their growth. No sure if this is a myth.
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 5/16/2013, 10:47 am

A year or so ago, when I still lived in Southern California, I used intact pine needles to cover one of my potatoes that was planted in a mostly shady area.

Surprise! Although it produced only one potato, that one was the biggest I've ever grown, weighing in at 10 oz., pretty big, I think, for a supermarket red variety.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/16/2013, 10:57 am

Windmere wrote:
yolos wrote:

Hi yolos,

You mentioned you use shredded bark. Do you have a specific brand that works well for you? Any favorite store to obtain it from? Since we are neighbors, I thought it would be a good idea to ask you location of store.

Last year I got the shredded bark from Andy's nursery just south of Fayetteville. They were selling it as a soil amendment which we used in our flower beds. But it is not composted enough so I decided to use it as a mulch. So, they sell it as a soil amendment. There is no brand name. The bags are just clear. I think they shred it themselves. I asked for it again this year but about two weeks ago the worker there said the shredder is broken and it will take a couple of weeks to fix it. My only question would be, how much of the bark/wood is pine. But it looks real nice in the beds and very small particles concidering it is shredded.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Mulch for Hot Weather Empty Andy's

Post  Windmere 5/16/2013, 11:12 am

yolos wrote:
Windmere wrote:
yolos wrote:

Hi yolos,

You mentioned you use shredded bark. Do you have a specific brand that works well for you? Any favorite store to obtain it from? Since we are neighbors, I thought it would be a good idea to ask you location of store.

Last year I got the shredded bark from Andy's nursery just south of Fayetteville. They were selling it as a soil amendment which we used in our flower beds. But it is not composted enough so I decided to use it as a mulch. So, they sell it as a soil amendment. There is no brand name. The bags are just clear. I think they shred it themselves. I asked for it again this year but about two weeks ago the worker there said the shredder is broken and it will take a couple of weeks to fix it. My only question would be, how much of the bark/wood is pine. But it looks real nice in the beds and very small particles concidering it is shredded.

Yolos,

I just called Andy's in South Fayetteville. They now have some of the mulch you mentioned in stock (the man who answered called it a "soil conditioner"). They are very close to me. He told me that the price is three something (I can't remember how much he said). The bags are 2 cu ft. Their phone number is (770) 461-6089.
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  HOUSTONMOM 5/16/2013, 5:22 pm

Is it ok to use the bagged mulch that are always on sale at the home improvement store?Is there something in particular that should stay away from the MM?
HOUSTONMOM
HOUSTONMOM

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/3/2013, 10:19 pm

From hot Fresno, CA. Found what I wanted: play ground bark. Light colored, plain old chopped wood from virgin forests. $20 for 1/4 yd. plus which filled two 33-gallon garbage bins plus some buckets. My Bark Co.produces it and it is OMRI cert.

Thanks to all who replied to my subject.
Mulch for Hot Weather 6-3-1310
Mulch for Hot Weather 6-3-1311
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Mulch for Hot Weather Empty Re: Mulch for hot Weather

Post  GloriaG 6/4/2013, 8:50 am

I'm just curious - do you bury your mulch in the MM at the end of the season?
How do you re-plant? We have a minimum of three crops per square in our area.
GloriaG

Female Posts : 440

http://www.laketrailstudio.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/4/2013, 9:04 am

Gloria, You'll get different answers from different folks. I don't think this will break down fast enough any time soon to mix into the MM. I bought the bark yesterday because we are hitting over 100 degrees and I wanted to keep the MM soft and the roots cool. I'm in Zone 9b and should be able to keep something growing almost year around. For each planting, I plan to remove the bark from the square, mix in some new compost, replant, then add the bark back to the top. At some point (next year or two??) it will go into my new compost bin that I am building and starting today.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  GloriaG 6/4/2013, 10:34 am

That makes sense!

I've used straw, but like you I garden all four seasons, and wasn't really happy with it in the summer. I found it developed mildew under the shade fabric. Yours looks nice a clean.
GloriaG

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/4/2013, 11:03 am

Gloria, I was THAT close to having to go with straw, when I found the play ground bark. We have terrible air pollution in the summer and I didn't think I needed farmer's lung from moldy straw on top of it. There are days I have to stay inside until way after dark because the pollution reaches "unhealthy."
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  GloriaG 6/4/2013, 11:12 am

Sanderson, I completely understand the pollution problem. I have allergy problems every time Possum Kingdom Park catches on fire.

I really like your mulch idea. I'm going to see if I can find some close to us. Thanks for the thread, it was very helpful.
Gloria
GloriaG

Back to top Go down

Post  ErinTX 6/22/2013, 7:17 am

Hi there,

I was reading your posts about mulch. I'm in zone 9 and I know I am going to have to mulch in this heat. I really like the idea of the playground mulch. My boyfriend can get free mulch from his work, because they clean up a lot of tree branches and sometimes have to cut down tree or clear trees that have fallen on their own. I had definitely planned on using that for my walk ways but not I am thinking that might work for in the garden as well. Do you think it matters what trees are turned to mulch? I know pine needles will affect the pH of the soil and there will be no way of knowing what trees were used in the mulch... but its hard to beat free!!
ErinTX
ErinTX

Female Posts : 18

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemonie 6/22/2013, 1:27 pm

I've just added cypress mulch to 4 of my beds and am about to add it to my 2 bigger beds. I was actually looking for something else at the time, but couldn't beat the price on the cypress and scooped it up. No problems so far seems to be doing the job. Anyone used this type before and have any issues with it? We're getting into some pretty hot times right now and really wanted a way to protect the roots and water consumption.
Lemonie
Lemonie

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 6/22/2013, 8:27 pm

sanderson wrote:Gloria,  I was THAT close to having to go with straw, when I found the play ground bark.  We have terrible air pollution in the summer and I didn't think I needed farmer's lung from moldy straw on top of it.  There are days I have to stay inside until way after dark because the pollution reaches "unhealthy."

I think you'll be much happier going the route you did and NOT using straw Wink Been there, done that. You saved yourself a bunch of pickin (unless you could have found a seed free straw...) tongue

Mulch for Hot Weather Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 6/22/2013, 8:55 pm

RoOsTeR wrote:
sanderson wrote:Gloria,  I was THAT close to having to go with straw, when I found the play ground bark.  We have terrible air pollution in the summer and I didn't think I needed farmer's lung from moldy straw on top of it.  There are days I have to stay inside until way after dark because the pollution reaches "unhealthy."

I think you'll be much happier going the route you did and NOT using straw Wink Been there, done that. You saved yourself a bunch of pickin (unless you could have found a seed free straw...) tongue
+1  Been there and done that too  Mulch for Hot Weather 671790
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 6/22/2013, 9:04 pm

Lol. That smiley is perfectly fitting yolos rofl

Mulch for Hot Weather Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 6/22/2013, 9:38 pm

Just to make sure everybody understands what can happen if wheat straw is used as a mulch if it has weed seeds or wheat seeds, here is a picture of a bin where I held my finished compost.  I covered it with wheat straw in the fall to keep the nutrients from leaching out.  See all the green stuff growing on the top.  That is either wheat or weeds.

Mulch for Hot Weather Photo_10
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/22/2013, 11:29 pm

Yikes!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Mulch for Hot Weather Empty Whoops

Post  Windmere 6/23/2013, 12:31 am

Oh my yolos!  I will definitely be using shredded bark as you suggested.  I have not yet made it out to Andy's, but I will soon.  Thanks for the illustrated warning!
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next