Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Anyone ever use Ultra Timber for boxes??? Toplef10Anyone ever use Ultra Timber for boxes??? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Anyone ever use Ultra Timber for boxes??? I22gcj10Anyone ever use Ultra Timber for boxes??? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Anyone ever use Ultra Timber for boxes??? Toplef10Anyone ever use Ultra Timber for boxes??? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Anyone ever use Ultra Timber for boxes??? I22gcj10Anyone ever use Ultra Timber for boxes??? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Anyone ever use Ultra Timber for boxes???

+5
timwardell
TheJH
chocolatepop
Retired Member 1
milaneyjane
9 posters

Go down

Anyone ever use Ultra Timber for boxes??? Empty Anyone ever use Ultra Timber for boxes???

Post  milaneyjane 4/21/2010, 9:54 pm

This is what it looks like I am converting our HUGE Minnesota gardens over to SFG and want to make sure they last. I would rather invest the money and building time once and want something that is pleasing to the eye. I went to the store today to price out cedar and composite material at Menard's. They had a display with Ultra Timber by UltraDeck. Anyone familiar with it? Pros or Cons???? I really want taller beds for ease of gardening and ideally want at least 12 -18 inch tall beds. With this product I could start with the two rows and add a third if needed down the road. Also I like that it is wide enough and sturdy enough to sit on. Right now I want to install three 16 x 4 beds to get started and double it next year (we freeze and can).

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I really want to get them built this weekend. Oh---the price was only $19 for a 19 foot length!!! Even going three tiers tall costs less than the cedar ($76 per 16 foot Anyone ever use Ultra Timber for boxes??? Icon_eek ). The cost would equate to $38 per 4 x 4 bed. The 16 foot long bed would be $148 without the soil mix.
milaneyjane
milaneyjane

Back to top Go down

Anyone ever use Ultra Timber for boxes??? Empty Re: Anyone ever use Ultra Timber for boxes???

Post  Retired Member 1 4/22/2010, 9:42 am

I've never even heard of it, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work well. If you have any reservations at all, line the sides with plastic as folks do who use treated lumber or RR ties.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Anyone ever use Ultra Timber for boxes??? Empty Re: Anyone ever use Ultra Timber for boxes???

Post  chocolatepop 4/22/2010, 9:49 am

Not yet, but I plan on making my sister in laws out of composite.

The ultra timbers, is that the composite landscape timbers?
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  TheJH 4/22/2010, 9:52 am

8 of my 4x4 beds are made of the grey plastic wood decking that Lowe's sells. I call it Trex but that is anoter brand. Sounds like you have a like product at a good price. I paid $24 for 16 foot 5.5" wide boards. So one will make a 4x4 box. They have been working for me.
TheJH

Back to top Go down

Post  timwardell 4/22/2010, 10:03 am

Sounds like a great product. I see no reason not to use it. And I agree, it's hard to argue with the price - especially compared to cedar. And your using recycled product since the stuff is made from reclaimed/recycled wood and plastic.
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

Post  milaneyjane 4/22/2010, 1:40 pm

The link is the "This is what it looks like" posted above. It is recyled but the boards are more the dimensions of a timber, so that it has width to it. The only downside I see is that I will have to go wider than 4 feet since I am going to loose a lot of space due to the depth of the product. Bonus is you can sit along edge of box. Does that make sense???

Rebecca
milaneyjane
milaneyjane

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 4/22/2010, 1:49 pm

Just make sure you can still reach the center of the box easily. Otherwise, you might want to go with 3' interior size.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  milaneyjane 4/22/2010, 5:13 pm

Well after all that, I went to Sam's Club today and bought seven of their raised boxes that are roughly 4'x8'x8" instead---for $39 each. Anyone ever use Ultra Timber for boxes??? Icon_lol The work is done and the pieces slid right together. Can't beat it. And the customer service was great when I had questions about stapling into the composite.

Rebecca
milaneyjane
milaneyjane

Back to top Go down

Post  ColoradoNatureGirl 4/22/2010, 6:32 pm

I just found these at Sam's too.
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=434312&pCatg=9666

Maybe next year when I can save up for them a bit. Very Happy
ColoradoNatureGirl
ColoradoNatureGirl

Female Posts : 58

Back to top Go down

Post  organicgardeningzen.com 4/22/2010, 10:41 pm

My beds are also made of that "copycat" Trex composite lumber that is sold at Lowes. I went with an 11" fascia board that was a little more flimsy than their 2x6 boards, but it's working fine (I screwed it to composite stakes at 2 1/12 ft intervals).

I like the look and I'm sure it will hold up a lot longer than untreated wood of any variety. Composite lumber is a mixture of recycled plastic and compressed sawdust -- 95% recycled materials, so any guilt I had about using a non-biodegradable material got offset by the warm fuzzy feelings from buying recycled.
organicgardeningzen.com
organicgardeningzen.com

Female Posts : 31

http://www.organicgardeningzen.com

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop 4/25/2010, 12:52 am

milaneyjane wrote:This is what it looks like I am converting our HUGE Minnesota gardens over to SFG and want to make sure they last. I would rather invest the money and building time once and want something that is pleasing to the eye. I went to the store today to price out cedar and composite material at Menard's. They had a display with Ultra Timber by UltraDeck. Anyone familiar with it? Pros or Cons???? I really want taller beds for ease of gardening and ideally want at least 12 -18 inch tall beds. With this product I could start with the two rows and add a third if needed down the road. Also I like that it is wide enough and sturdy enough to sit on. Right now I want to install three 16 x 4 beds to get started and double it next year (we freeze and can).

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I really want to get them built this weekend. Oh---the price was only $19 for a 19 foot length!!! Even going three tiers tall costs less than the cedar ($76 per 16 foot Anyone ever use Ultra Timber for boxes??? Icon_eek ). The cost would equate to $38 per 4 x 4 bed. The 16 foot long bed would be $148 without the soil mix.

I checked our local menards and our prices are SO different! The ultra timber was $19 for 8ft and the cedar is $17 for a 16ft piece of cedar decking!

I think i am going to go with the composite from Menards, I can get one box for $30. Not bad!
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Back to top Go down

Post  milaneyjane 4/25/2010, 12:42 pm

Chocolate Pop----is that for the landscape Ultra Timber or is that the composite decking material? They are two different UltraDeck products. The one that I was looking at was the fat timber looking pieces that are like 7 inches square. The link I posted shows it in the sandbox.

Post pics when you are done---- I would love to see what you do!

Rebeccca
milaneyjane
milaneyjane

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop 4/25/2010, 8:54 pm

milaneyjane wrote:Chocolate Pop----is that for the landscape Ultra Timber or is that the composite decking material? They are two different UltraDeck products. The one that I was looking at was the fat timber looking pieces that are like 7 inches square. The link I posted shows it in the sandbox.

Post pics when you are done---- I would love to see what you do!

Rebeccca

Nope, it was ultra timber. I also was like :o on the price. I'll check another Menards but I was also surprised.
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Back to top Go down

Post  hank 12/13/2013, 2:15 pm

Now its 2013 a 16' timber costs $42.95 they dont stack straight up and down each layer sets back about 1 inch, mine were delivered and they were bowed in the center  about an inch, one was broke and needed to be returned(to menards)
hank
hank

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/14/2013, 9:54 pm

You could use extra long stainless steel screws / coach bolts to clamp the logs together along the length and also to bring the corners together so long as you do them in the specified size pilot holes and counter sunk for the head of the screw /bolt .

After reading the burb it seems we have a similar sort of resin impregnated sawdust material inn the UK that has air entrained in it during manufacture to make it light .
It is like putting a screw into a cinder toffee bar ( A Crunchie bar ???? ), you can't just use any old screw to clamp them either.
The ones we played with were supplied by the manufacturer and they had a very coarse spaced out deep thread so that they would follow the precision pilot hole and cut their own thread with out putting pressure on the material and causing it to break /split apart at the site if the screw insertion .

We also have 19 mm x 150 mm wide ( 3/4 inch x 6 inch ) planks of it and 3x3 or 4x4 inch corner posts which is sold under the name of ECO WOOD .
You have to follow the makers instructions to the letter wrt the cutting , drilling and fixing of it as it splits and bends unless you do. You also have to follow their instructions about how far between the ends you must put braces in & what type of brace to stop the boards bulging out due to wet soil or frost freezing the soil and expanding it.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down