Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
 In NorthEast Florida and new to SFG Toplef10 In NorthEast Florida and new to SFG 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

In NorthEast Florida and new to SFG I22gcj10 In NorthEast Florida and new to SFG 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
 In NorthEast Florida and new to SFG Toplef10 In NorthEast Florida and new to SFG 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

In NorthEast Florida and new to SFG I22gcj10 In NorthEast Florida and new to SFG 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

In NorthEast Florida and new to SFG

3 posters

Go down

In NorthEast Florida and new to SFG Empty In NorthEast Florida and new to SFG

Post  boa3532 5/4/2013, 10:12 am

So last spring, I decided to try my hand on a vegetable garden. Ripped out grass from a 8x8 plot in back corner of yard. Planted a row of corn, a row of watermelons, a row of summer squash, a row of pumpkins and morning glory. Life got super busy and the grass reclaimed the area and choked out the garden before the middle of summer. Accomplished little, but learned a lot. I can see everyone here shaking their heads. Very Happy

This past March, my wife asked if we could try again, but try another way. I researched raised garden beds. Built a bed 4x8 and 18 inches high. Found a lawn service nearby that had free compost and filled the first 14 full of compost. The last 4 inches, i put in top soil and cow manure compost. Keep in mind I still haven't heard of SFG yet. Late March, I started one of those seed starter greenhouses. By mid April I was ready to plant. I was looking at the back of the seed packs and seeing thin seeds to x number of inches and thought, that's stupid, why don't I just plant seeds every x inches. So in "spirit" I was already embracing the SFG method! Within 2 weeks, most of my transplants were dead, save for some carrots, 4 butternut squash and 2 summer squash.

About this time, a friend of mine told me about SFG. I looked into, got excited and transformed the garden into a grid and moved the butternut squashes into a square. 2 are thriving the transplant and 2 are barely hanging on. Chalking that up to experience.

As of now all 32 squares have been planted. I had no idea the summer squash plant could grow so big, that have nearly taken over about a third of the garden. I'm willing to pull up one to give my tomato plants a chance (I bought them at home depot and transplanted them into the garden)

Garden has... Butternut and Summer squash, green beans (vine), three varieties of tomatoes, petite bell peppers, sweet bell peppers, a watermelon, a pumpkin, carrots, onions, radishes, chili pepper, petunias, lavender, marigold (dunno if that will make it, summer squash is majorly invading it's plot) lettuce, sunflower and nasturtiums.

Radishes will be ready in 6 days and everything else staring late May.

Already planning to convert that bed into a flower/potato/carrot/peanut bed at the end of the year and getting some true 4x4x6inch raised beds built (using Mels' Mix of course).

Happy Gardening!
boa3532
boa3532

Back to top Go down

In NorthEast Florida and new to SFG Empty Re: In NorthEast Florida and new to SFG

Post  boa3532 5/8/2013, 3:47 pm

Bummer... I have a stink bug infestation. Saw two and some eggs on top of one of the squash plants... looks like I got work to do.
boa3532
boa3532

Back to top Go down

In NorthEast Florida and new to SFG Empty Re: In NorthEast Florida and new to SFG

Post  johnsonjlj 5/11/2013, 7:07 am

boa, welcome to the forum! Where are you located? I'm in Lake City and this is my second year with a SFG. Had traditional raised beds 3 years ago (two 4'x16'), moved them and converted it to a SFG garden in January of last year, also adding a 4'x12'. This winter we added two more 4'x12' and six 2'x8' beds. So be careful- it's addicting!! I currently have about six types of tomatoes, cucumbers, a lemon cucumber, crookneck squash, zucchini, butternut squash, spaghetti squash, cantaloupe, watermelon, okra, corn, bell peppers, hot pepper, basil, parsley, swiss chard, lettuce and strawberries planted. My current fight is with powdery mildew on my squash and zucchini plants, but I'm determined to win!! Just pulled up my new potatoes- during all of the rain we had a week or so ago I realized that worms had gotten to the plants and, because of the rain, couldn't do anything to kill them. I tried to pick them off by hand, but obviously missed some because they ate through my potato greens during all of those rainy days. Evil or Very Mad So we'll just have green beans and new potatoes with our Mother's Day dinner tomorrow! (Mental note: plant twice as many next year with more space in between!!) Every year is a learning experience, especially since we find new things to try each year. Have fun!!
johnsonjlj
johnsonjlj

Back to top Go down

Post  boa3532 5/14/2013, 8:10 pm

I'm in the Jacksonville area. With the ton of rain we got two weekends ago the squash just took off. I am thinking of tearing one of the squash plants up since they got much much bigger than I expected them to. The other one has at least 8 squash growing. The two butternut plants have 5 squashes growing. Nothing on the tomato plants yet, I forgot about keeping the main stem from branching off. My father-in-law clued me on that fact, we got to work on that the other day, so we'll see.
boa3532
boa3532

Back to top Go down

Post  boa3532 5/21/2013, 8:22 pm

I think I got the stinkbugs under control. Haven't seen any in a few days since I've captured a few and put them in a tin can to leave in the hot sun Twisted Evil

I can't believe how many bugs hang out in a garden. Not sure what is good and what is bad. Found something else that causes my squash to wilt and die.

In NorthEast Florida and new to SFG KrgoePh

Already posted in the "Pest" thread looking for answers.

The tomatoes have finally started producing fruits and the vine beans are looking really good. So far the butternut squash looks excellent.
boa3532
boa3532

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 5/21/2013, 9:10 pm

boa3532 wrote:I think I got the stinkbugs under control. Haven't seen any in a few days since I've captured a few and put them in a tin can to leave in the hot sun Twisted Evil

I can't believe how many bugs hang out in a garden. Not sure what is good and what is bad. Found something else that causes my squash to wilt and die.

In NorthEast Florida and new to SFG KrgoePh

Already posted in the "Pest" thread looking for answers.

The tomatoes have finally started producing fruits and the vine beans are looking really good. So far the butternut squash looks excellent.
The pic is of a millipede. I have tried a lot of things, but organic products haven't worked. I'm using Sluggo, Plus, and hope that will help.

You might try growing the squash vertically. I haven't done it myself, but will try it this yr. You can do a search, on the left, top or bottom.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  johnsonjlj 5/22/2013, 4:08 am

Boa, that's a new one on me. That's one nasty looking creature! I've had problems with powdery mildew (it took all of my squash, zucchini, cucumbers & cantaloupe last year before I knew what it was), but I've been able to keep it under control this year. I lost a couple of squash plants to it during that really rainy spell at the beginning of May, but replanted and they're growing like crazy. Lost one squash plant to svb, hoping that will be the only one!!
Picked my first tomato yesterday! rock on It wasn't deep red yet so I'm going to let it finish ripening on the kitchen windowsill. I didn't get to enjoy many of my tomatoes last year (some type of wilt got to them about the same time that powdery mildew took out my cucumbers), so I was a little nervous about letting it stay on the vine until it was fully ripened! Can't wait for them to all start ripening- I've got about 6 different varieties and all the bushes are loaded, with tons of flowers!
johnsonjlj
johnsonjlj

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum