Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW: May 2013 - Page 3 Toplef10PNW: May 2013 - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW: May 2013 - Page 3 I22gcj10PNW: May 2013 - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW: May 2013 - Page 3 Toplef10PNW: May 2013 - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW: May 2013 - Page 3 I22gcj10PNW: May 2013 - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

PNW: May 2013

+12
camprn
Dawncee
LittleGardener
sarah465
Goosegirl
boffer
Windmere
Lavender Debs
happycamper
FamilyGardening
smriti
gwennifer
16 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

PNW: May 2013 - Page 3 Empty Re: PNW: May 2013

Post  Goosegirl 5/24/2013, 7:28 am

LittleGardener wrote:
gwennifer wrote:
Love it when Mother Nature does the watering for me. Seems like this is good weather for the cold weather crops.. How are everyone's lettuces and spinach doing?
Good idea having this Temp chart here. Thanks!
(tho not all of us even have lettuce+spinach going.) Should I post in here, or
is a new thread "Share Smile gardening-adventures" better?
See, family said "Let's build a Green-house Very Happy & you(little me) do it.
We'll give you the plans; wait til March" (March+April now past), I said to heck with that, I wanna garden...so at our favorite farm-stand plants were crying to be adopted, which (sans a garden-spot no less) I did:
on kitchen-counter, sink, windowsills, by the french-doors, on the porch, where ever, are now still in their pots:
3 Pole-beans (I wanted Bush beans, instead)
3 butternut squash
6 Broccoli
3 (long/English) cucumbers
2 curly parsley
3 cherry tomatoes (2 Heirloom: SugarLump +YellowPear, & 1 SweetMillion)
3 (personal-size) Watermelons
-------------------------------------aside the above 23,
also 23 Flowering plants most already planted.
Soo, now to get them (out in the cold) happily planted. A wonderful 'artistic' lady at Lowe's helped me find the parts, to inexpensively get this project started. - Boffer said in the 2000sq.ft. thread "$4 per square foot, that's $64 for a 4x4 box ready to plant." Well, either I wait until I have all those ingredients, or I start with what I can amass, & go from there. I decided to do the latter Smile so for $33 a 5x7 ft. spot I noticed in that "Construction Block" thread. - Then for half that much more, it will turn into a HoopHouse as well. - Do you like Wink it?
The current garden spot is in the SE-corner with a 3-5 ft. chain-link-fence on each side.
The S-fence also has those metal vertical strips. Since last year three compost-piles in various stages are growing...
(gave up on bought tumblor-gizmo :scratch: for now).
The west is interrupted by a mostly-completed TALL shed, against which food can grow Trellis-style on E+W-sides.
So how close? together would you plant these above, & other, critters.
---
The real west-boundary (100 ft. total), will in the autumn sport:
2 apples, cherry, fig/plum, pear, & filberts, & blueberries & raspberries,
a very experienced sunny NW-nursery person is educating me in.
Plus a neighbor (who I've been helping food-wise), has agreed to dig holes for these plants for a small fee.

What do you think? Suggestions welcome flower

Love the post here, but a "Gardening Adventure" thread would be fun as well!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/25/2013, 2:02 am

Took a survey of our familygarden’s today…..ventured out in between the down pour of rain. Even though our gardens are wet and maybe a bit soggy the temperature was quite pleasant.

We are seeing more and more beans sprouting, the corn seems to be doing ok… the Cole crops, sugar snap peas, lettuce, onions and garlic look awesome!....these crops really seem to be flourishing in this kind of weather.....we are also really happy to see that our sunflowers are also doing so well....they seem to be holding up just fine in this rain...

Keeping an eye on the tomato, squash, cucumbers and pumpkins…..they looked to be a bit sad and a tad bit yellow…..decided to sprinkle a little Epsom salt mixed with some powered milk and a small amount of organic fertilizer just to see if it can get them thru this wet weather. We have not tried this approach before and I don’t have any idea why I think it will work, but felt like we needed to try and help these guys out and see if we can get them thru this wet period.

Otherwise if they don’t perk up... then I know its because they were too wet and cold. Which I’m sure that is the case….all they need is some sun…and there is not much we can do about that. We just have to wait…..and hope they will perk up and be ok…..

our tom's, cucumber, lettuce and so forth that is up against the house and under the easement are all doing well....a hint for next year....use more containers and pots that can be set up against the house once the small green house is to full..... study

Happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawncee 5/25/2013, 10:13 am

Good morning and happy Memorial Day weekend to all!

Rose, I planted three tomato plants. Two of them look fine, but one (like yours) is looking really sad. Hope it warms up soon.

Everything has been growing great. The copper tape I applied around the tops of my raised beds is working! Not a slug or snail to be seen in my beds. However, I just went out this morning to see 15 of my 16 corn plants chewed off at ground level....I am assuming it is cut worms although I have never experienced this before. Any solutions???
I still have time to replant, but need to treat the problem.
Dawncee
Dawncee

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/25/2013, 10:19 am

Dawn, you say the corn plants are chewed to the soil level. Is the top of the corn seedling still there? Can you post a photo?

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

PNW: May 2013 - Page 3 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/25/2013, 12:25 pm

FamilyGardening wrote:our tom's, cucumber, lettuce and so forth that is up against the house and under the easement are all doing well....a hint for next year....use more containers and pots that can be set up against the house once the small green house is to full..... study
Happy gardening
rose

I come to a different conclusion: You need a bigger greenhouse! Wink

The toms, cukes, peppers, basil, and tomatillos are doing good in my greenhouse. The ones planted outside are looking as sad as I feel looking at them!

I didn't try squashes in the greenhouse this year because I did such a poor job with AI last year. But I'm having second thoughts about that decision. Time will tell if I goofed or not.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/25/2013, 1:37 pm

Dawncee wrote:Good morning and happy Memorial Day weekend to all!
Rose, I planted three tomato plants. Two of them look fine, but one (like yours) is looking really sad. Hope it warms up soon.

Happy three day weekend back at ya!

I have this theory that I haven't shared before:

Plants are like children. Even though they come from the same seed source, they can all turn out looking different. Siblings from the same biological parents can physically differ so much that one wouldn't think they had the same parents. But we understand that it's normal.

Plants from the same seed package don't all turn out identical either. But often, if a plant doesn't look like we think it should, we tend to get anxious and feel that we must do 'something'.

Gardeners with small gardens, and thus can only plant a few plants of each type of veggie, have a disadvantage compared to those of us who plant dozens of the same veggie: that is the opportunity to observe what is 'normal' for a veggie in the same growing season. If I plant three dozen broccoli, I can guarantee that I'm going to have a couple plants that don't thrive like the rest, some of the plants will be short with big crowns, and some will be tall with small crowns. Same MM; same weather. That is what I have found to be my normal.

If someone plants just three broccoli plants, and one of them is sad looking, it's a gardener's tendency to get concerned, think something is wrong, and want to do 'something'. I'm suggesting that it is normal that all the plants don't grow and thrive identically, and that it is difficult to understand what normal is with a small sample size.

I used broccoli for my example because I have a lot of experience with it.

Last year was the first year for me to grow tomatoes in a greenhouse to beat the PNW weather. I was fascinated by the changes that occurred to the plants as the season progressed. Throughout the season, different plants looked ailing at different times. It reminded me of when I was a kid, and all the kids in the neighborhood would take turns getting sick. One would get the mumps, then another, then another. Then we'd all get better, then someone would get the measles, and we'd go through the cycle again. That's what my toms did. Early in the season a few looked like they were getting early blight or something. (I'm a lousy diagnostician.) Then they would get better, and others would get it. Some plants would look luscious green, and others would look like they needed a pick-me-up tonic. I did nothing but watch, in order to learn what my normal was. (It is my practice to watch and observe rather than to get anxious and feel that I must do 'something' when plants don't look right. Part of that is due to a lazy streak!) They all survived, and they all produced. I can't rate the production because it was my first year growing toms in an environment conducive to producing ripe fruit. I can say that I've never had such a wonderful harvest of red tomatoes.

Can anybody relate to my theory, or is my thinkin' stinkin'? Very Happy

boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/25/2013, 3:03 pm

Yup, I get it, boffer! I have lots of chard and occasionally one falls over in a dead faint, but I figure "that's life", and carry on.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/25/2013, 4:43 pm

yep....I get it Boffer...love your your thinkin' not sure about the stinkin' jocolor ....how much cole crops have you been eating rofl

our cole crops were not doing well at all this year.....in March we transplanted a 6x8 bed of them.....but....even though we were heart broken that these guys were not going to do anything.....we didn't do a thing for them....just let them be and sure enough......they are doing great now!... Shocked all they needed was a bit of warmth ....and I mean a little because that week we were gone and you all had high temps.....the bok choi bolted tongue

I know I shouldn't panic and think we have to do something for the plants that are looking a bit sad....because I know they need heat...and no matter what we do its not going to change that.....unless we build a bigger green house ....and we may just work on that..... :drunken: .....we have the plastic....and we love the idea of a stick on zipper that farmer Deb's is using....so really I don't think it would cost that much....I know we have scrap wood around here too....

Happy gardening
rose...who really values the thoughts and idea's of other gardeners here flower
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/25/2013, 8:43 pm

FamilyGardening wrote:yep....I get it Boffer...love your your thinkin' not sure about the stinkin' jocolor ....how much cole crops have you been eating rofl
PNW: May 2013 - Page 3 1280598131       not me       yahoo

FamilyGardening wrote:....because I know they need heat...and no matter what we do its not going to change that.....unless we build a bigger green house ....and we may just work on that..... :drunken: .....we have the plastic....and we love the idea of a stick on zipper that farmer Deb's is using....so really I don't think it would cost that much....I know we have scrap wood around here too....

If it would help, I can hook you up with some free tempered glass and hinges. With a little creativity and sawdust production, you can make a door and window with them.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawncee 5/25/2013, 9:58 pm

camprn wrote:Dawn, you say the corn plants are chewed to the soil level. Is the top of the corn seedling still there? Can you post a photo?

Unfortunately, I do not have a digital camera. My corn was 2" tall and this morning they look like they have been cut off at soil level. Two had their roots exposed, but not the others.
Dawncee
Dawncee

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/25/2013, 10:12 pm

Dawncee, do you have rabbits or deer in your neighborhood?
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Dawncee 5/26/2013, 8:30 am

Boffer - My backyard is fenced so it wasn't a wild animal.
Dawncee
Dawncee

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 5/26/2013, 9:13 am

Dawncee, Just an idea for what caused your corn damage: voles, aka field mice. Having noticed a similar "beheading" of corn sprouts in our new corn patch, along with small entry/exit holes over a bulge in the soil (which of course is a mole tunnel), I remembered wisdom read in this forum: moles make tunnels (seeking worms, grubs), and voles use the tunnels to travel about at night to avoid owls. It could be argued that cutworms caused your corn's beheading, but they don't yank up a seedling to get at the corn kernel at the base. I'm testing this theory by covering a row of corn with an arch of fencing covered by plastic, then setting a couple of traps and a small dish of D-con. In the other row, I've surrounded each sprouting corn seedling with collars of bottom-removed coffee K-cups. As soon as the rain lets up a bit this morning, I'll go out and see what's happened overnight. Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 5/26/2013, 9:46 am

This is my first year to grow corn, and I am afraid that much of it has been destroyed by ME. I am so fed up with all the quack grass, I am instinctively pulling every thing that appears like that and have pulled up several little corn plants... Embarassed Spent yesterday out on the streets protesting Monstanto and of the few hundred people at the rally I went to, they took a show of hands as to how many of them were gardeners and almost EVERYONE there had gardens..... flower
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 5/26/2013, 9:57 am

Dawncee - in the book Mel says to put chicken wire over newly planted corn to keep out the birds. It's on page 206 in the 2006 edition of ANSFG book. Apparently there is something quite appealing about corn seedlings. I can say from experience the chicken wire cover worked extremely well if birds are the source of your troubles.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 5/26/2013, 10:08 am

GWN wrote:This is my first year to grow corn, and I am afraid that much of it has been destroyed by ME.

Is quack grass blown in or coming from below? If blown in how about water it well to grow out the weeds, say for another week or two. Yank them all and reseed more corn. I'm thinking a two week difference shouldn't be all that bad. Hey, I'm trying here, it sounded good to me!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 5/26/2013, 10:54 am

GWN wrote:This is my first year to grow corn, and I am afraid that much of it has been destroyed by ME. I am so fed up with all the quack grass, I am instinctively pulling every thing that appears like that and have pulled up several little corn plants... Embarassed Spent yesterday out on the streets protesting Monstanto and of the few hundred people at the rally I went to, they took a show of hands as to how many of them were gardeners and almost EVERYONE there had gardens..... flower
SO Proud of you for Marching GWN!
We celebrate Shabbot so we did not march, BUT Shwoop De Woop for you!!

I HATE quack grass. My solution to both the critters and the grass was to start my corn in soil blocks. Worked GREAT last season. Because of school I have not started mine yet BUT you can also start corn a tad early with soil blocks. Less shock (way less shock) than using any size of pot. Peat pots... (and who really knows what they are made of) do not brake down like they did in the "old days".

I am getting such a late start (darn school sucking the life out of me, if I did not love doing it, and if I wasn't crazy about those kidd-o's I wouldn't do it). It is so cold and wet this weekend (looks to be cold and wet for the rest of this week), I think I am going to have to break out the heat mat to start corn and summer beans.
PNW: May 2013 - Page 3 20120510
The day the corn in soil blocks was planted out, 5-29-12, already good size and easy to not mistake for q-grass.
PNW: May 2013 - Page 3 June_510
One week (6-5-12) after planting last season's corn.
I suspect the rich ingredients in the soil blocks give the corn a slight head start. Very easy to plant out the blocks. Shoving seed into the soil is easier but this is ALMOST as easy.

PNW: May 2013 - Page 3 4th_we18
Carrots, Fava Beans, Peas

Cold and wet in Everett, Wa. 64/52, if it isn't raining then there will be a heavy, wet "mist". Full moon tonight but you probably will not see it through the clouds. A good day to remember those who gave all.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 5/26/2013, 11:03 am

Is quack grass blown in or coming from below? If blown in how about water it well to grow out the weeds, say for another week or two. Yank them all and reseed more corn.
The property that we have was basically 1.5 acres of quack grass that has been growing on its own for several years. They are just not keen for me to come in and get rid of them. They grow under the ground in long strong roots, they go sideways. When you pull them out, if you leave a 1 inch piece of root it will develop back into 2 more plants. IS THERE a "pulling your hair out" emoticon? I am totally obsessed. My neighbour just comes along with his roundup and sprays it. I am sure that he thinks I am crazy, but we MUST have principals....
I learned yesterday that it takes 8 years for the ground to recover after roundup.
THANKS DEBS...... yes, school WILL come to an end. flower
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 5/26/2013, 11:16 am

GWN wrote: ...snip... My neighbour just comes along with his roundup and sprays it. I am sure that he thinks I am crazy, but we MUST have principals....
I learned yesterday that it takes 8 years for the ground to recover after roundup. flower
Eight years for the ground to recover, a lifetime of expensive, painful treatment for the human body to recover. This is horrible, but in the red-neck town I lived in for 20 years, people got shot over round-up. The county (snohomish) thought it was a good idea to use that nasty poison at the edge of the road. Peeps put up signs BEGGING county workers to not spray near wells, in front of homes where people were already fighting disease (including cancer), to not spray near chickens or our organic gardens but they did it anyway. Shooting was a STUPID response. Peeps had been taking care of the weeds in front of their property to convince the county to not spray but they did it anyway. Gurrrrrrr (hair pulling icon here). The dopy thing was, we lived on the edge of a national forest. The weeds came from the hay bales the county puts down when they work on the road. (rolly eyes) The council was convinced Round-up was harmless and did not want any citizen input about it.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 5/26/2013, 12:09 pm

We did some hiking in your country recently, last december. Loved the national forest. I am still recovering from Chemo and radiation, who knows why I had cancer. I did beg my neighbour NOT to spray, as our well sits right next to the property line and who knows where the underground water table falls. The very sad thing is that those who spray are not necessarily the ones who are affected.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

PNW: May 2013 - Page 3 Empty clues to corn seedling "beheading"...

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 5/26/2013, 9:31 pm

This morning after church, I checked the corn patches. Behold: no further beheadings of corn seedlings in the rows covered by fencing and plastic and baited with D-con and some traps. Nothing in the traps, but D-con kernels missing. In the rows left open to the night, but seedlings circled with coffee K-cups trimmed top and bottom, no seedlings pulled up OR cut off at soil level. I'm leaning heavily toward blaming voles/field mice for the damage to our corn, but leaving a slim 1/3 percent chance it is cutworm damage. What do y'all think? Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 5/26/2013, 11:07 pm

GWN wrote:...snip.... The very sad thing is that those who spray are not necessarily the ones who are affected.
Maybe not right away, maybe not cancer. My husband used to work for a tree farm in Granite (Checkerboard-ed in the nat forest) As lead-man, one of my husband’s jobs was to make the 50-50 mix of 2,4,5,T and 2,4,D, (one from Monsanto, the other from Dow) to make the post war defoliant formerly known as Agent Orange. Alders and Vine Maples made no money and had to be eliminated. Anyway, he did not so much as put on a pair of rubber gloves when mixing this witches brew. He was there to run a chain saw or an adz (depending on if he was thinning or planting). He has lost a lot of sleep through the years worried that his exposure to chemical nastys has hurt his children. No chemo or radiation just weird rashes that come and go, mood swings (seriously deep) and a devotion to organic food.

Thanks for telling a little bit of your story and dedication to organic food. (gotta get back on subject somehow) PNW: May 2013 - Page 3 3170584802
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 5/26/2013, 11:12 pm

GWN wrote:... IS THERE a "pulling your hair out" emoticon?...
Yes! Smilies page 3. PNW: May 2013 - Page 3 671790
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/26/2013, 11:46 pm

our 6 year old son has a serious medical condition going on that they are still trying to figure out....he is getting a muscle biopsy done the 4th of next month in hopes it will shed light and we can have some kind of medical plan for him.....what ever is going on is progressive and so scary and sad to see his little body wasting away.....

anyway to stay on topic organic gardening is very important to us as we can not afford to buy very many things from the store that is organic....we try our best though......years before ( our six children are 20 years apart) all we had to worry about is washing or peeling the veggies in hopes we could get off the pesticides that was being used on them....today its another story......and its scary....and so sad to hear that even those who choose to organic garden have to worry still on what is being sprayed around their land and water supply Sad

gardening using the SFG method made it easier to get started and easier to learn how to garden and got the children involved in the planning , planting and harvesting making a variety of veggies easy for them to want to try.....

my son has a feeding tube to supplement his hydration and calories as his stomach is slow at emptying......he is still able to eat and drink by mouth just not enough.....we have had to use medical can formula to supplement him ...but.... since gardening and joining this forum we are learning so much about growing food and how to use all parts of the veggies.....like cole crop leaves....its exciting to try and juice these or blend them into a home made formula using super foods like kale and such......

we are so very thankful for you all helping us to learn more about gardening so we can help our son with healthy super foods!

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/26/2013, 11:52 pm

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:This morning after church, I checked the corn patches. Behold: no further beheadings of corn seedlings in the rows covered by fencing and plastic and baited with D-con and some traps. Nothing in the traps, but D-con kernels missing. In the rows left open to the night, but seedlings circled with coffee K-cups trimmed top and bottom, no seedlings pulled up OR cut off at soil level. I'm leaning heavily toward blaming voles/field mice for the damage to our corn, but leaving a slim 1/3 percent chance it is cutworm damage. What do y'all think? Nonna

Nonna sounds like you kept the critters away and are going to really enjoy some fresh corn in a few months Very Happy

I vote it was mice.....as we have the same problem with our corn...but...its rats with us.....eeeek.... What a Face they were even steeling the corn out of the seed trays in the green house....we live trap 2 of them......yuck!!

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next