Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Solar Mole Chaser - Too good to be true? Toplef10Solar Mole Chaser - Too good to be true? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Solar Mole Chaser - Too good to be true? I22gcj10Solar Mole Chaser - Too good to be true? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Solar Mole Chaser - Too good to be true? Toplef10Solar Mole Chaser - Too good to be true? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Solar Mole Chaser - Too good to be true? I22gcj10Solar Mole Chaser - Too good to be true? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 11:26 am

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 11:19 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Solar Mole Chaser - Too good to be true?

5 posters

Go down

Solar Mole Chaser - Too good to be true? Empty Solar Mole Chaser - Too good to be true?

Post  Windmere 4/29/2013, 10:14 pm

Hi all. I got an e-mail from Harbor Freight regarding their latest sales. I can get this "Solar Mole Chaser" for 7.99 with a coupon.

http://www.harborfreight.com/solar-mole-chaser-94661.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiNTUxODA5OTQiLCJza3UiOiI5NDY2MSIsImlzIjoiNy45OSIsInByb2R1Y3RfaWQi%0D%0AOiIyOTU0In0%3D%0D%0A&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=1813a&utm_source=1002

Do these things really work, or is it all hype? The customer reviews for this thing are excellent. It's supposed to work on moles and rodents, but some reviewers say it discourages deer and cats. Now... if it even had the tiniest effect on squirrels, I'd pay quite a bit more than 7.99 for it!!
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Solar Mole Chaser - Too good to be true? Empty Re: Solar Mole Chaser - Too good to be true?

Post  camprn 4/29/2013, 10:21 pm

http://www.amazon.com/HLA-Solar-Powered-Mole-Repeller/product-reviews/B0028ZMIVO

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Solar Mole Chaser - Too good to be true? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Solar Mole Chaser - Too good to be true? Empty Re: Solar Mole Chaser - Too good to be true?

Post  Lindacol 4/29/2013, 10:23 pm

Looks like the ones I got for gophers which were a waste of $$$. The gophers came up right under them. Wire bottoms on the beds or tabletops or gopher cages for plants not in the SFG were my solutions. And the Squirrelinator for the squirrels.

The best gopher traps I have found are the Gophinator. I also have some of their mole traps which work for smaller gophers.
http://www.traplineproducts.com/

Last edited by Lindacol on 4/29/2013, 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add content)
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Solar Mole Chaser - Too good to be true? Empty Hmm...

Post  Windmere 4/29/2013, 10:30 pm

Thanks for the link to Amazon camprn. More customer reviews that seem to be pretty positive. Food for thought.
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Solar Mole Chaser - Too good to be true? Empty Squirrelinator

Post  Windmere 4/29/2013, 10:31 pm

Lindacol wrote:Looks like the ones I got for gophers which were a waste of $$$. The gophers came up right under them. Wire bottoms on the beds or tabletops or gopher cages for plants not in the SFG were my solutions. And the Squirrelinator for the squirrels

Now you have me VERY intrigued. What exactly is a Squirrelinator, and where can I get one???
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 4/29/2013, 10:38 pm

Windmere wrote:
Lindacol wrote:Looks like the ones I got for gophers which were a waste of $$$. The gophers came up right under them. Wire bottoms on the beds or tabletops or gopher cages for plants not in the SFG were my solutions. And the Squirrelinator for the squirrels

Now you have me VERY intrigued. What exactly is a Squirrelinator, and where can I get one???

http://squirrelinator.com/ Amazon also has them. Several of us on the forum have used them with good results.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  drixnot 4/30/2013, 8:34 am

Rodents don't care about annoying sounds ... neither do insects. No gadets like this really works.

from an environmental website -

Ultrasound pest control devices emit high frequency sounds intended to repel household pests like rodents, cockroaches, ants, spiders and fleas. Results of studies on the effectiveness of these devices in discouraging common household pests are mixed, at best. Our suggestion is to take an integrated pest management (IPM) approach. Most pests (both insects and rodents) find their way in searching for food, water, and shelter. Knowing this is the key to making your home pest-free. In general, the drill goes like this:

Step one - exclude them: figure how they're getting in and close it up. Fix gaps in door frames and tears in screens, caulk where needed.
Step two - starve them: store all food in tightly covered containers and clean up food spills and crumbs immediately. Fix leaky pipes and wipe up spills.
Step three - expose their hiding places: get rid of clutter where they hide and nest, especially things like piles of damp newspapers in basements and garages.

drixnot
drixnot

Back to top Go down

Solar Mole Chaser - Too good to be true? Empty Thanks

Post  Windmere 4/30/2013, 10:12 am

Thanks Lindacol for the information about he Squirrelinator. Fascinating. I may order one. I read reviews... they are very positive.
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Solar Mole Chaser - Too good to be true? Empty Thanks

Post  Windmere 4/30/2013, 10:15 am

drixnot wrote:Rodents don't care about annoying sounds ... neither do insects. No gadets like this really works.

from an environmental website -

Ultrasound pest control devices emit high frequency sounds intended to repel household pests like rodents, cockroaches, ants, spiders and fleas. Results of studies on the effectiveness of these devices in discouraging common household pests are mixed, at best. Our suggestion is to take an integrated pest management (IPM) approach. Most pests (both insects and rodents) find their way in searching for food, water, and shelter. Knowing this is the key to making your home pest-free. In general, the drill goes like this:

Step one - exclude them: figure how they're getting in and close it up. Fix gaps in door frames and tears in screens, caulk where needed.
Step two - starve them: store all food in tightly covered containers and clean up food spills and crumbs immediately. Fix leaky pipes and wipe up spills.
Step three - expose their hiding places: get rid of clutter where they hide and nest, especially things like piles of damp newspapers in basements and garages.

Thanks drixnot. I appreciate the reference from an environmental website. This gives me food for thought. My wife made similar comments to me that she doubted the effectiveness.
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemonie 4/30/2013, 12:00 pm

Thanks for posting this. My mom is wanting to switch to SFG but has been hesitant because at least with her huge garden, she can produce enough plants to let some go to the critters and bugs and still have some for herself. She has been thinking about getting one of the ultrasonic devices to help, but sounds like she really just needs to build a Fort Knox SFG. Anyone know if the coyote, owl and snake decoys work for most of these pests? She has a pretty open and unprotected garden area that is way out in the country and doesn't have a ton of time or resources for critter control.
Lemonie
Lemonie

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down