Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Lots of plants in garden today -Yay! Toplef10Lots of plants in garden today -Yay! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Lots of plants in garden today -Yay! I22gcj10Lots of plants in garden today -Yay! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Lots of plants in garden today -Yay! Toplef10Lots of plants in garden today -Yay! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Lots of plants in garden today -Yay! I22gcj10Lots of plants in garden today -Yay! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Lots of plants in garden today -Yay!

4 posters

Go down

Lots of plants in garden today -Yay! Empty Lots of plants in garden today -Yay!

Post  edfhinton 4/19/2013, 2:36 pm

So I dont have the contruction pictures of my garden from last weekend that my daughter took, but I added lots of plants today and a bunch of seeds as well to accompany the lonely peas that went in last weekend, and I at least have today's pictures.

The first picture is the garden area as it looks today that we constructed last weekend. Two weeks ago this was not level and had some small bushes and saplings. Now it's the garden. Boxes are cedar. Top 6" of the boxes is the Mel's Mix. Below that is compost. Under the entire fenced garden area is hardware cloth and weed barrier. Waiting on good trellis netting from the foundation for the back trellisses that will be for tomatoes, cucumbers, and squash. I figured the cheaper Burpee stuff available locally would be ok for peas.

Lots of plants in garden today -Yay! Garden10

The next two pictures are of the peas. No matter how many times I gently drape the peas on the netting, they end up hanging down or sprawled across the mix. It has been a little windy all week, but maybe as it gts tall enough to weave in and out to the third netting level it might stay. Any tricks on training peas to the netting?

Lots of plants in garden today -Yay! Westbo10

Lots of plants in garden today -Yay! Morepe10

Next picture is the onions and green onions and lettuce. The lettuce is leaf lettuce that I plan to cut leaves from as it grows, so I did 9 per square. The onions and green onions layout is a mess because of the mistakes I made when starting and up-potting them. I at least managed to avoid mixing them up. Left column is green onions. Second column is Sturon onions.

Lots of plants in garden today -Yay! Onions10

Last picture is more lettuce planted on the edges of squares that will later have tomatoes. I am hoping the lettuce hasn't bolted by the time the tomatoes can provide some shade and extend the lettuce longer.

Lots of plants in garden today -Yay! Longbo10

Not visible is that I planted radish seeds today in one of the two remaining squares of the box contaning lettuce and onions and I planted 36 spinach seeds and a square of carrot seeds in the long box. I am also in the process of hardening off spinach seedlings that will go in the garden Sunday.

Very happy right now.

-Ed
edfhinton
edfhinton

Male Posts : 86

Back to top Go down

Lots of plants in garden today -Yay! Empty Re: Lots of plants in garden today -Yay!

Post  CapeCoddess 4/19/2013, 2:49 pm

Beautiful! I like your wood pile, too!

Are you ready to cover in the even of freezing weather?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Lots of plants in garden today -Yay! Empty Re: Lots of plants in garden today -Yay!

Post  edfhinton 4/19/2013, 2:57 pm

At what temperature should I plan to cover lettuce,onions, and peas? I thought they were all ok to have out a few weeks before the last frost. We aren't forecast here to go below freezing in the next 10 days, but I'm new at this so any advice is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

-Ed
edfhinton
edfhinton

Back to top Go down

Post  R&R 1011 4/19/2013, 2:58 pm

Looks great! You can see all the hard work you put into it. I think when your peas get bigger they will be easier to train up the trellis. Lots of plants in garden today -Yay! 3170584802
R&R 1011
R&R 1011

Female Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/19/2013, 3:02 pm

I get a little nervous about my lettuce in freezing temps. The onions and peas I don't worry about. I think they can handle being touched by frost, if that's all it is.

The only reason I mention it is because we're heading down into the 30's here on the Cape, and we're usually milder than the rest of New England.

Is this where you live?
http://classic.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=%20Exeter,%20New%20Hampshire%20&wuSelect=WEATHER

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 4/19/2013, 5:50 pm

edf.....I like what you've done so far.
Don't worry about the peas. They really don't have anything to grab with just yet. Mine do the same thing. I put them up against the trellis and they fall over. They'll get more 'fingers' when they get a little longer.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  edfhinton 4/19/2013, 6:52 pm

CC,

That's the place. They seem to have lowered the temp prediction for Sunday and Monday nights since I last checked on TWC. So sounds like I should put something over the lettuce. Since they are really short (below the level of the edges of the boxes, do you think it would be ok to just put a tarp over the portion of the boxes where the lettuce is for the nightime? (I can put something on the corners to hold it down. Or do I need to cover the whole box to avoid a lot of cold air going in sideways just above the mix level, in which case I will need to do something that is higher than the onions?

Thanks,

-Ed
edfhinton
edfhinton

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum