Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
corn - growing corn - Page 2 Toplef10corn - growing corn - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

corn - growing corn - Page 2 I22gcj10corn - growing corn - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
corn - growing corn - Page 2 Toplef10corn - growing corn - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

corn - growing corn - Page 2 I22gcj10corn - growing corn - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

growing corn

+37
Fiz
trolleydriver
BeetlesPerSqFt
SwampTroll
countrynaturals
tagyourit
AtlantaMarie
FamilyGardening
baileyhermit
camprn
Rambo
audrey.jeanne.roberts
yolos
donnainzone5
WriterCPA
southern gardener
CapeCoddess
walshevak
TxGramma
sanderson
Goosegirl
Pollinator
Triciasgarden
RoOsTeR
lyndeeloo
Turan
murarrie25
quiltbea
Dunkinjean
Pepper
Hoggar
littlejo
jmsieglaff
llama momma
Gunny
gwennifer
efnjim
41 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

corn - growing corn - Page 2 Empty Re: growing corn

Post  quiltbea 7/19/2013, 11:00 pm

Even if they are ugly, they are yours and they were enjoyed at the table.  Good for you.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 7/19/2013, 11:11 pm

quiltbea wrote:Even if they are ugly, they are yours and they were enjoyed at the table.  Good for you.

+1

corn - growing corn - Page 2 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 7/20/2013, 8:59 pm

I was up late one night weeks ago trying to find out why farmers de-tassle corn.  I can't even remember if I found the answer but I did find these other videos about corn.  I saved them and forgot about them until I read the posts on this topic.  I think you will learn some things as I did.  I have to re-watch them because I was so tired that night and didn't remember some of what was said.

Corn Maturity Stages

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHq8QQ-tSKs&NR=1&feature=endscreen

Ear Shake Test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7DiwD4N0T0

How to tell when corn is ready to harvest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm0m3RrMyTU

When the guy mentions that the top needs to be rounded.  If the top kernels did not get fertilized, it will not be rounded.  That is a mistake I have made in the past, waiting for it to fill out at the top.  I end up waiting too long and my corn has been tough.  Someone also posted that you can put 16 plants per square with sfgs.  That's wrong as we know.  It is four per square.

Lyndeeloo I have had  plenty of corn like that also.  It is still yummy and pretty!  I never knew until now why it ended up that way.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 7/20/2013, 10:00 pm

Tricia,
Farmers that grow seed corn for a hybrid, ex: Silver Queen, de-tassell 1 variety that is planted, leaving the tassels on the variety that will be the pollinators for the whole field. I don't really understand it, but, silver queen is some good corn.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 7/20/2013, 10:53 pm

lyndeeloo wrote:I was a little sad because they had looked so good I thought maybe we'd get some corn. I looked it up on the internet and it says they were not properly pollinated, not enough plants in the rows.

I'm glad the ears tasted good, anyway. But it's not necessary to have large amounts of corn, or to plant in any particular manner. You can and pollinate it easily.
http://gardensouth.org/2011/07/09/you-can-avoid-corn-pollination-failure/
Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 7/20/2013, 10:56 pm

littlejo wrote:Tricia,
Farmers that grow seed corn for a hybrid, ex: Silver Queen, de-tassell 1 variety that is planted, leaving the tassels on the variety that will be the pollinators for the whole field. I don't really understand it, but, silver queen is some good corn.
Jo

Pollinators are the carriers that move pollen, such as bees and other insects. Plants that provide pollen (daddies) are "pollenizers."

There's a big difference. Like the difference between the bull and the artificial insemination technician on the dairy farm.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 7/20/2013, 11:11 pm

lyndeeloo wrote:First time growing corn this year...........
Holy Corn Balls Batman
corn - growing corn - Page 2 Img_1714
I was so excited, we'd actually grown some corn! They are so small and so ugly that they are almost cute. It doesn't matter... they were DELICIOUS!!
I have had NO success with corn in my garden, but this year is the first year I am trying it in my SFG.  I will be corn - growing corn - Page 2 998388915 corn - growing corn - Page 2 998388915 corn - growing corn - Page 2 998388915 if I get cobs like that!  Last time I tried corn I lost the whole crop to smut - altho' that is a delicacy, and I have seen a few recipes for it since that crop...

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/21/2013, 12:19 am

Pollinator, That was a nice, straight-forward link you posted. Thanks for sharing.it.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  TxGramma 7/21/2013, 12:42 am

Pollinator, awesome link. Thanks for the info, definitely storing that away among my gardening tips.
TxGramma
TxGramma

Female Posts : 199

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 7/21/2013, 1:23 am

That is a great link Pollinator and explains pollination of corn very well!  My husband's uncles all had farms in Nebraska.  I asked several of them why they detassle corn as my husband and his brothers were hired one summer to detassle corn.  None of the uncles I asked even knew why they detassled the corn.  It was just something they did.  They said something about detassling every other row.  I don't understand it either.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndeeloo 7/21/2013, 8:40 am

Thank you for all the corn growing/pollinating information. Now I can't wait for next year to put it all to good use! Those little ears were so good I will definitely be planting a lot more next year!Very Happy 
lyndeeloo
lyndeeloo

Female Posts : 433

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 7/21/2013, 11:05 pm

Triciasgarden wrote:That is a great link Pollinator and explains pollination of corn very well!  My husband's uncles all had farms in Nebraska.  I asked several of them why they detassle corn as my husband and his brothers were hired one summer to detassle corn.  None of the uncles I asked even knew why they detassled the corn.  It was just something they did.  They said something about detassling every other row.  I don't understand it either.

They are producing hybrid seed. The pollenizer rows are often called the "bull rows" and the ones that are receiving the pollen are referred to as the "cow rows,"
because only the female flowers (the silks) remain.

Hybrids are a cross between two inbred varieties. With corn it's as simple as removing the tassles from the cow rows, and saving only the seeds from those rows. Most cornfields today are grown from hybrid seed. It gives increased vigor to the plants, and often other advantages, as well.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 7/22/2013, 12:15 pm

Pollinator

That article explains a lot of the pollen in the air around my house. I'm near a lot of corn fields. I don't grow corn in my garden because at least one of the fields has corn every year and it's not sweet corn.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/7/2013, 6:56 pm

Turan wrote:
quiltbea wrote:I remember reading somewhere that when the silks begin, you should dribble some mineral oil on the silks to prevent earworm.  Has anyone tried this?
 Yeah, it is how I dealt with corn ear worms when in SD.  Don't put it on the silks as such, put it into the husks, in the tunnel the silks go through the husks.  There is a certain point in time that is important too, because you can hurt pollenation if done too soon and miss the larvae if done too late.  I think you can add Bt to the oil for extra punch as well.

A good description of the process~
[url=http://www.pfi.iastate.edu/ofr/Crops/SA14_Protecting_Sweet_Corn_from_Corn_Earworm_w_Oil_and Btk.pdf]“When the silks were turning brown, I treated. I used a quart oil can treat - ing the plots with (refined) soybean vegetable oil and Btk. (3 teaspoons per quart of oil)... I placed a small squirt from the can on the tip of each ear as quickly as I could.” Research elsewhere has used as much as one part Btk to five parts oil, applying about 0.5 ml (1/10 teaspoon) to the silk where it enters the silk channel (Hazzard et al., 2003). If the Btk is a powdered prod - uct, a food grade emulsifier such as lecithin may be added as well (Hazzard, 2001). In some of those trials mineral oil was a little more effective than veg - etable oil, but mineral oil is not permitted for use on commercial food crops unless it is part of a registered pesticide. In the Guthries’ organic system, a refined vegetable oil was the clear choice. “It is very important that treatment is done two days after full silk, when the silks are beginning to brown. Too-early treatment causes non-pollination at the tips of the ears. I treated Incredible (the variety) perhaps a couple of days too early and had a fair number of ears that were not filled out. They would still be clean ears but just not filled out. If you treat too late, you will get less effective control of the corn earworm.”[/url]
This is exactly the info I was searching for!  So I need to have silks on ears before adding the mineral oil.  This thing coming out of the middle isn't silks since there are no ears yet, right?  What is it? corn - growing corn - Page 2 100_9616

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 9/7/2013, 6:58 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:
Turan wrote:
quiltbea wrote:I remember reading somewhere that when the silks begin, you should dribble some mineral oil on the silks to prevent earworm.  Has anyone tried this?
 Yeah, it is how I dealt with corn ear worms when in SD.  Don't put it on the silks as such, put it into the husks, in the tunnel the silks go through the husks.  There is a certain point in time that is important too, because you can hurt pollenation if done too soon and miss the larvae if done too late.  I think you can add Bt to the oil for extra punch as well.

A good description of the process~
[url=http://www.pfi.iastate.edu/ofr/Crops/SA14_Protecting_Sweet_Corn_from_Corn_Earworm_w_Oil_and Btk.pdf]“When the silks were turning brown, I treated. I used a quart oil can treat - ing the plots with (refined) soybean vegetable oil and Btk. (3 teaspoons per quart of oil)... I placed a small squirt from the can on the tip of each ear as quickly as I could.” Research elsewhere has used as much as one part Btk to five parts oil, applying about 0.5 ml (1/10 teaspoon) to the silk where it enters the silk channel (Hazzard et al., 2003). If the Btk is a powdered prod - uct, a food grade emulsifier such as lecithin may be added as well (Hazzard, 2001). In some of those trials mineral oil was a little more effective than veg - etable oil, but mineral oil is not permitted for use on commercial food crops unless it is part of a registered pesticide. In the Guthries’ organic system, a refined vegetable oil was the clear choice. “It is very important that treatment is done two days after full silk, when the silks are beginning to brown. Too-early treatment causes non-pollination at the tips of the ears. I treated Incredible (the variety) perhaps a couple of days too early and had a fair number of ears that were not filled out. They would still be clean ears but just not filled out. If you treat too late, you will get less effective control of the corn earworm.”[/url]
This is exactly the info I was searching for!  So I need to have silks on ears before adding the mineral oil.  This thing coming out of the middle isn't silks since there are no ears yet, right?  What is it? corn - growing corn - Page 2 100_9616

CC
That's the tassel, it should shoot up and spread out sort of "star" shaped. The pollen will be attached and fall onto your silks which should protrude out of your ears that develop onto the stalks. You're gettin' close!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/7/2013, 7:12 pm

Yippee! Thanks, SG!

I already found one of those disgusting worms down inside one of the plants coz of the frass it left. Don't know if that plant will be productive or not but it's still alive despite my operating on it.

This is Silver Queen and I read above that Jo thinks it's the best, so now I'm anxious to try it. I planted late, July 4th, on a whim when someone gave me a pack of seeds/kernals. Didn't expect anything so this is a nice surprise.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 9/7/2013, 7:24 pm

We had some amazing Silver Queen ears. It had 9 square feet to itself and made 10-11 ears!  It was crazy. We grew a whole box with 4 per square as recommended in 6" of soil and get a few scronny sized ears. Not worth it for sure. We are trying another box with no weed cloth on the bottom to see if we get better results. Hope yours does well!! The ears we got off of the huge stalk was DELISH!!

Last edited by southern gardener on 9/7/2013, 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/7/2013, 7:31 pm

Good to know. Mine are in my squash garden, which is an old style SFG and bottomless, not in a box.

Got my fingers crossed!

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  WriterCPA 9/7/2013, 8:27 pm

Storing away that tip on oil. Last year -- it was the squirrels, this year -- worms.

I know fresh corn will be worth it. Next year in the corn field!

Maria
WriterCPA
WriterCPA

Female Posts : 138

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 9/8/2013, 8:35 am

CapeCoddess wrote:Yippee!  Thanks, SG!  

I already found one of those disgusting worms down inside one of the plants coz of the frass it left.  Don't know if that plant will be productive or not but it's still alive despite my operating on it.

This is Silver Queen and I read above that Jo thinks it's the best, so now I'm anxious to try it.  I planted late, July 4th, on a whim when someone gave me a pack of seeds/kernals.  Didn't expect anything so this is a nice surprise.

CC
The biggest hint (at least down here) is to plant early. The worms arrive and will get late corn for sure! If you expect a late frost, toss an old sheet over. I threw a bit of bird netting over the bed to keep out the squirrels when the plants were little.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/9/2013, 4:29 pm

First time trying corn.  I have green tassels at the top but no sign of corn yet.  When can I expect the corn to show up?  I know it's late in the season but I just had to try it.  First frost is not until Nov 15 and it was probably closer to Christmas last year.  I'm growing Silver Queen!!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 10/9/2013, 8:14 pm

The corn ears with the silks will come on/start growing when the tassels are fully open. It probably takes a few days for the ears to start. You should have plenty of time to get some corn, but watch out for the corn ear worm. They appear late in the season here.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 10/16/2013, 8:19 pm

My ear of corn is growing a baby!  What's happening?  corn - growing corn - Page 2 100_0212

And should I pick the big one yet? If not, how do you know when to?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 10/16/2013, 8:38 pm

The baby ear won't make this late in the season, some corn will make an ear that will be small but will have corn on it in the spring.
I'd wait on picking the corn til the silk is real brown. If you are expecting a frost, you can gently pull back the husk a little bit and see if the corn has filled out enough. Pick before frost comes!
What kind of corn is it? Looks tasty!
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/16/2013, 10:53 pm

My first corn have tassels with open "flowers" that are starting to shed pollen. But, there are no ears or silks. Should I call it good for the year and pull them up? I will definitely grow them next spring. I'm putting a few boxes to bed until March 1.

Thanks
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next