Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
growing corn - Page 5 Toplef10growing corn - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

growing corn - Page 5 I22gcj10growing corn - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
growing corn - Page 5 Toplef10growing corn - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

growing corn - Page 5 I22gcj10growing corn - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

growing corn

+37
Fiz
trolleydriver
BeetlesPerSqFt
SwampTroll
countrynaturals
tagyourit
AtlantaMarie
FamilyGardening
baileyhermit
camprn
Rambo
audrey.jeanne.roberts
yolos
donnainzone5
WriterCPA
southern gardener
CapeCoddess
walshevak
TxGramma
sanderson
Goosegirl
Pollinator
Triciasgarden
RoOsTeR
lyndeeloo
Turan
murarrie25
quiltbea
Dunkinjean
Pepper
Hoggar
littlejo
jmsieglaff
llama momma
Gunny
gwennifer
efnjim
41 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

growing corn - Page 5 Empty Re: growing corn

Post  countrynaturals 5/28/2017, 12:10 am

Ooo, I need to read this whole thread. My corn is small, but looking good. I'll post a pic, tomorrow.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/28/2017, 2:58 am

I'm glad I caught up on this thread. My SQ and Gem corn are not serious plantings but I wouldn't mind a few heads. I think I didn't plant the seeds deep enough in the BTE strip for them to get a good anchor. The SQ especially is floppy. Maybe if I use the Florida weave it will help them stand up. They are in two, 10-foots rows 6" apart.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampTroll 5/28/2017, 11:54 am

I just looked at the corn that I started indoors and it's germinated!!!

I can now say without a doubt in my head that soaking your corn before planting is a great thing!
Some of my corn was over 3 years old and still germinated at the same if not higher rate than the corn I purchased this year.

While I may still have to direct sow some of it, I have more than enough to begin my Three Sisters with and at least 1 additional square.

I'm so excited!  Here's hoping it grows well!
SwampTroll
SwampTroll

Male Posts : 141

http://literate-troll.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/28/2017, 1:59 pm

Squirrel dug up and ate all my direct planted corn, beans and squash seeds.
Sad
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 5/28/2017, 2:12 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:Squirrel dug up and ate all my direct planted corn, beans and squash seeds.
Sad
CC
growing corn - Page 5 671790

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2619

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 5/29/2017, 1:25 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:Squirrel dug up and ate all my direct planted corn, beans and squash seeds.
Sad
CC
That's awful, CC.  Sad Will you replant in peat pots or is it too late there? You could always buy plants. That's what I had to do after spider mites wiped out almost everything I started inside over the winter. Evil or Very Mad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/29/2017, 3:20 pm

That was the last of the corn so unless I trip over more seed in my travels I have no plans to try again this year. Last years little plants were distroyed by racoons. I'm already making plans to cut more netting this afternoon and cover ALL the boxes going forward.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 5/30/2017, 6:48 am

CapeCoddess wrote:That was the last of the corn so unless I trip over more seed in my travels I have no plans to try again this year.  Last years little plants were distroyed by racoons. I'm already making plans to cut more netting this afternoon and cover ALL the boxes going forward.
Ugh. What an unpleasant set back. I do not like squirrels.
More netting sounds like a good plan.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 5/30/2017, 7:13 am

Sad
CC
Sorry to hear that CC.  It happens here as well including with sunflower seeds. I have chicken wire cages on some SFG beds and we use chicken wire and hardware cloth where necessary in the regular soil beds when direct sowing some seeds. Nothing fancy -- just enough to give the seeds a chance to get growing.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/30/2017, 10:10 pm

Sad

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 6/29/2017, 12:09 pm

I was just out inspecting my corn patch and wondering if the leaves are yellowing a tad or am I being hyper just now.  When I came in I saw in Fiz's thread that Yolo was pointing out how much nitrogen corn needs.  So I went looking for some guidelines.

1. When should I apply nitrogen?  The crop needs little nitrogen during early vegetative stages to about the fifth leaf development stage. [u]The largest portion of the total nitrogen taken up by corn occurs during the eighth leaf to VT (tasseling) development stages.[/u] Nitrogen uptake is mostly done shortly after pollination. Thus, applying N before the V8 development stage is best. [u]Research has shown that if applications are done around V6, it is very rare to see yield loss due to N stress[/u]. This is because most soils in Illinois can provide sufficient N to satisfy the demands of young corn plants.  Of course, if a portion of the total nitrogen was applied preplant or at planting, a delay in application of supplemental nitrogen is not likely going to cause plant nitrogen stress. In cases where no nitrogen was applied, or the nitrogen supply is very low, make it a priority to apply early (preferably before V6) to avoid loss of yield potential. wrote:

Underlining emphasis done by me.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/29/2017, 7:51 pm

The Silver Queen is tasseling right now but no ears are visible. Should I sprinkle blood meal on the wood chips and water down well? Or is growing in my amended dirt strip sufficient regarding nitrogen?

Anyone else have a problem with early tassels that shed pollen before the ears show silk?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 6/29/2017, 8:34 pm

The baby ears first appear as tiny little clusters of leaves near a "joint" on the main stalk.  I wish I had a picture to post here!  At that stage, they aren't recognizable as cobs. 

Give it a few days, and see how the tassels develop, as well as any nascent cobs you may have.  Sounds like you may need to do some hand pollination.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 6/29/2017, 8:51 pm

sanderson wrote:The Silver Queen is tasseling right now but no ears are visible.  Should I sprinkle blood meal on the wood chips and water down well?  Or is growing in my amended dirt strip sufficient regarding nitrogen?

Anyone else have a problem with early tassels that shed pollen before the ears show silk?
I believe it is too late for Blood Meal if the corn is already tasseling.  I don't think Blood Meal is very fast acting.  

Pollen dropping from tassels before the silk emerges on the ears is a sign of stress.  Either too low nitrogen or not enough water is usually the problem.  It happened to me one summer.  A whole 4 x 8 bed of corn planting was wasted because the pollen dropped before the ears emerged.  

But if I remember correctly, the tassels emerge and then a little while later the ears just start to emerge and then the pollen drops.  It takes a while (not too long though) after the tassels appear before they drop the pollen.  So you have to hold your breath to see if it will all develop according to plan.  This is one of the reasons I used succession planting this year.  I planted a small stand (3 x 4 feet) of corn every week for six weeks.  So if one stand did not drop the pollen at the correct time, maybe the pollen dropping on the next stand of corn could be used to hand pollinate some of the ears developing late on the prior stand of corn.

I doubt that growing in your amended dirt strip would supply enough nitrogen.  Maybe if it was heavily amended with manure ???????????
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/30/2017, 12:23 am

I will step up the watering on the corn part at least. The strip was amended since Oct 2015. First with ramial chips. Then fall leaves, horse manure, bagged compost topped with plain wood chips. Last summer I grew sunflowers as conversation pieces. We had a good spring of rain this year so I felt it was worth trying tomatoes in part of it and 2 types of corn, sorghum and okra.

Donna, Grew corn the first 2 years so I recognize the starts of ears. One year the pollen dropped too early. The second year, much better coordinated.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiz 6/30/2017, 8:37 am

Continuing the corn side discussion from my hail damage thread here - I just noticed this morning that my container corn plants are sending up tassels as well. Yesterday I added chicken manure pellets to both pots, topped up the soil a bit, added some of the slow release fertilizer on the top of the soil. Once the rain stops tomorrow, I'll continue with the water soluble 10-15-10 fertilizer. At this point I'm just trying anything and everything I have without going out and getting blood meal (based on what Yolos said) to see if I can have a shot of getting an ear or two! Laughing Will keep you all posted!
Fiz
Fiz

Male Posts : 152

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiz 7/7/2017, 8:26 am

Hey all!

Update on my container corn - we've got pollen shed! Of the three plants in containers two of them have two silked ears each and the third one is tasseling and just starting to show the first signs of silk. Hoping to get six ears from these three plants (although I know the lower ears tend to be inferior sometimes), and I've got four more stalks growing in the bed.

First picture is of the four silked ears, and second picture is right after I tapped the tassels and pollen came floating down. You can see some shedding in the top right corner. For good measure, I snipped off some tassels and hand pollinated each ear. I won't snip off any more, will grab a paintbrush from the dollar store and continue that way. Hoping to be grilling these up in a couple of weeks or so!

growing corn - Page 5 Img_6231
growing corn - Page 5 Img_6232
Fiz
Fiz

Back to top Go down

growing corn - Page 5 Empty Squirrels

Post  citizenz 7/7/2017, 4:29 pm

I have not found that wire keeps squirrels out, they simply dig underneath.  The only thing I find which keep them out is plastic bottles, bottom end cut off and well into the ground, and then the earth drawn up around the bottle.  I remove when the corn is sticking several inches out of the top of the bottle and before the plant becomes wedged into the neck of the bottle.
Squashes stay under bottles until they fill them.  I have some 1.3 Am Gallons and a few 2 Am Gallons.
citizenz
citizenz

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiz 7/9/2017, 10:53 pm

Quick question about final ear size. At what stage does the actual ear stop growing larger? Does it continue to grow after pollination or is it only kernel development at that point? I can't seem to find a straight answer when searching online. I'm hoping I don't end up with itty bitty ears!
Fiz
Fiz

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/9/2017, 11:08 pm

Fiz wrote:Quick question about final ear size. At what stage does the actual ear stop growing larger? Does it continue to grow after pollination or is it only kernel development at that point? I can't seem to find a straight answer when searching online. I'm hoping I don't end up with itty bitty ears!
Depending on the type you are growing, the ear slowly fills in, and falls away from the stalk a bit.   The silk gets toasted, and the ear is filled out.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8703

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiz 7/10/2017, 7:42 am

Thanks Scorpio! I'm growing Peaches and Cream.
Fiz
Fiz

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 7/11/2017, 5:22 pm

Here is a nice short blog about corn pollination.  It is written by one of our forum members - I think her name if sfg4uKim but that may be slightly wrong. = Kim Roman.

Here is a short passage from the original blog:

"Corn has both male and female parts on the same plant—called the tassel, where the pollen is made, and the silk that receives the pollen. Each silk, if pollinated, will become a kernel of corn. If the silk doesn’t get pollinated, it won’t produce a kernel.  The first silk you see is attached to the bottom of the corn cob and they work their way up the ear—this is why you sometimes see fewer kernels at the top of the cob.
The pollen is shed from the tassel starting in the middle of the center spike and works its way down to the lower branches of the tassel. Pollen starts shedding about two to three days before the silk starts emerging and keeps going for about five to eight days. The largest pollen shed is on day three. On the other hand, the silk is usually receptive for up to ten days. In general the pollen of one plant doesn’t fertilize the silk of that same plant. So, the male is ready before the female is and he usually goes outside the home to make babies. Hhhhhmmmm!
When you go to the store and pull back the husk on the corn and see a lot of gaps, it indicates that the pollen didn’t shed at the same time as the silk developed. This is a problem. When a silk is successfully pollinated and the “baby” (kernel) starts to form, usually 1-3 days after pollination, the silk will detach from the kernel and start to turn brown and dry up. Unfertilized ovules (kernels) are still white and attached to the silk."

https://patch.com/maryland/glenburnie/bp--blog-how-to-grow-corn-the-square-foot-gardening-way
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 7/29/2017, 12:50 pm

I was not watering the corn much, thinking that by now it has good roots etc. I did a google search..... Right before and during pollination is the time corn needs the most water. So I set a sprinkler in the middle of the bed and gave it a long soaking. I hope I worked that out early enough. The corn is tassling and silking right now. I am also fussing because I planted cosmos in hte bed as well, and it is about as tall as the corn.

We have had a couple wind storms lately and so far the corn has stayed up! Thanks to Yolo's ideas about a perimeter fence and sticking poles across.

Fingers crossed......

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/29/2017, 1:07 pm

Turan wrote:The corn is tassling and silking right now. 
Mine too. I've watered consistently, but the plants are looking kind of tattered. I hope everything's okay. geek
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/29/2017, 2:34 pm

Picked 4 ears of Silver Queen with a total of 7 plump kernels. rofl Next year I will have a support frame in place so the tassels won't be on the ground. Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down