Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Yellow leaves on Sugar Baby watermelon seeds Toplef10Yellow leaves on Sugar Baby watermelon seeds 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Yellow leaves on Sugar Baby watermelon seeds I22gcj10Yellow leaves on Sugar Baby watermelon seeds 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Yellow leaves on Sugar Baby watermelon seeds Toplef10Yellow leaves on Sugar Baby watermelon seeds 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Yellow leaves on Sugar Baby watermelon seeds I22gcj10Yellow leaves on Sugar Baby watermelon seeds 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Yellow leaves on Sugar Baby watermelon seeds

2 posters

Go down

Yellow leaves on Sugar Baby watermelon seeds Empty Yellow leaves on Sugar Baby watermelon seeds

Post  Windmere 4/7/2013, 9:54 pm

Hello all,
My daughter loves watermelon, so I planted three jiffy pellets with some Sugar Baby seeds. They took a long bit to germinate, but I think that is normal.

My question has to do with the fact that the first leaves on two of the three are yellow (oh, and there are no regular leaves yet). Is that normal? Due to cooler nights, I put these seedlings in full sun during the day and then bring them inside at night.
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Yellow leaves on Sugar Baby watermelon seeds Empty Re: Yellow leaves on Sugar Baby watermelon seeds

Post  Unmutual 4/8/2013, 8:14 am

I've never grown watermelon, but I do grow cucumbers(both of them cucurbitacaea). I can't say that I've ever had seedling leaves turning yellow on me until they have at least one true leaf. Are the seedling leaves also going crinkly? If so, that could be manganese toxicity(water less).

Watermelon is known to be sensitive to manganese toxicity, a common problem in low pH soils. Seedling watermelons react to manganese toxicity with stunted growth and yellowish crinkled leaves. Older plants generally exhibit brown spots on older leaves that may be mistaken for symptoms of gummy stem blight. Manganese toxicity is usually associated with soils having a pH below 5.5. However, in wet seasons the condition may occur at higher pH levels when the soil has been saturated for a period of several days. This condition has been noted in several watermelon fields with pH ranges at 5.8 or slightly higher when the crop was planted flat. Planting watermelons and other cucurbits on a bed is good insurance against manganese toxicity during a wet season. The best solution to manganese toxicity is to apply lime at rates based on the results of a soil test.
Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 396

Back to top Go down

Yellow leaves on Sugar Baby watermelon seeds Empty Thanks for your response!

Post  Windmere 4/8/2013, 2:28 pm

Hi Unmutual,
Thanks very much for your response about my watermelon seedlings. They seem to be very gradually turning green instead of yellow. I don't know what a watermelon seedling should look like (I've never planted one before).

The leaves are not crinkly, so I don't think it is a manganese issue. I do appreciate the research you did. I will watch them carefully. If things don't improve, I think I will take them to our cooperative extension. I recently learned that you can take plants there and they will identify what is wrong with them.
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Yellow leaves on Sugar Baby watermelon seeds Empty Re: Yellow leaves on Sugar Baby watermelon seeds

Post  Unmutual 4/8/2013, 2:40 pm

Speaking also as a Master Gardener, your Ag Agent(Cooperative Extension Agent) can be your best friend for gardening information.
Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 396

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down