Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Having trouble figuring out how much spinach to plant! Toplef10Having trouble figuring out how much spinach to plant! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Having trouble figuring out how much spinach to plant! I22gcj10Having trouble figuring out how much spinach to plant! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Having trouble figuring out how much spinach to plant! Toplef10Having trouble figuring out how much spinach to plant! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Having trouble figuring out how much spinach to plant! I22gcj10Having trouble figuring out how much spinach to plant! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Having trouble figuring out how much spinach to plant!

+3
quiltbea
Turan
lindabateslawson
7 posters

Go down

Having trouble figuring out how much spinach to plant! Empty Having trouble figuring out how much spinach to plant!

Post  lindabateslawson 3/8/2013, 9:21 pm

I'm brand new here and to gardening in general and am getting ready to start my SFG. I live in southern Ohio and am wondering how much spinach to plant. Let me give you a little background. My husband and I drink LOTS of green smoothies. We are using about 1-1/2 lbs. of spinach and other greens per day. I'm having a hard time figuring out how many spinach plants to try and keep going at a time to produce this yield. Thanks in advance!
lindabateslawson
lindabateslawson

http://therookiegardener.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Having trouble figuring out how much spinach to plant! Empty Re: Having trouble figuring out how much spinach to plant!

Post  Turan 3/8/2013, 10:50 pm

That is a lot of spinach per day. I am guessing you should plant at least a whole 4x4 bed. You can either pluck outside leaves, letting the center keep growing, or you can cut and area and then let it regrow. If you have extra you can freeze it. Spinach won't make it through the summer, it dislikes heat, so get all you can in the spring.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2616

Back to top Go down

Having trouble figuring out how much spinach to plant! Empty Re: Having trouble figuring out how much spinach to plant!

Post  lindabateslawson 3/9/2013, 12:00 am

Thanks, this is helpful to know!
lindabateslawson
lindabateslawson

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 3/9/2013, 12:02 am

But you can put in a fall crop as well so you'll get it twice a year.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  lindabateslawson 3/9/2013, 12:06 am

Yes, I had considered that. Hey quiltbe, I'm a quilter myself and I think I should know you lol... I'm a longarm quilter and participate on some forums (even own one lol).... I needed a new hobby and felt gardening should be it! Then I found SFG and KNOW gardening should be it!!! Smile
lindabateslawson
lindabateslawson

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 3/9/2013, 7:54 am

Hi Linda. glad you\'re here

I eat about 1+lbs of greens per day also. IMO, plant a lot of spinach seeds. I planted about 4 squares, 1/inch. If they all sprout, which would be nothing less than a miracle for me, I'll thin and eat them. Any overage of spinach can be blanched and frozen for the summer, along with collards and kale which grow great here. But I'm also planting a lot of beets, so their greens will help get me thru the summer.

Keep us updated on your spinach growing. I haven't had any luck so far with it, so I'm hoping this is the year of the spinach! bounce

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  lindabateslawson 3/9/2013, 8:19 am

Thanks for that advice. I already have some seeds that have started to my surprise. Started them about 4 days ago and I have little sprouts already. Hopefully, these will keep growing. I started another set of seeds in my Aerogrow garden starter and I don't see anything from those yet. I had heard spinach is tricky, so I'm happy with what I have developing so far.

Thanks again!
lindabateslawson
lindabateslawson

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 3/9/2013, 8:32 am

wow! What's the name of your spinach seeds?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  lindabateslawson 3/9/2013, 9:19 am

I used Botonical Interest brand seeds and I planted the Monstrueux de Viroflay and Bloomsdale. I've heard some spinach is better to eat and some spinach is better to cook. I have no idea what these varieties tastes like.
lindabateslawson
lindabateslawson

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 3/9/2013, 10:44 am

Monstrueux de Viroflay is delicious, and its leaves are huge! So far, it's my all-time favorite.

I'll be trying Bloomsdale for the first time this year.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 3/9/2013, 12:20 pm

Bloomsdale is a pretty good bolt-resistant variety that takes warmer weather better than some. If you want to grow spinach thru the summer, try Red Malabar which is a vining spinach. You harvest the leaves off the vines. Different flavor.

Linda, welcome to this forum. You can always find me on the HGTV.com quilting and needlework forum. I often post there.
I was a quilter first and decided I needed something to do in the spring and summer when it got too hot to hold a heavy quilt over my lap. The two work great together and are seasonally different. Keeps me busy and alive as I continue to age. What's your URL so I can check out your site? I love quilt sites.

I have to add that SFG has become almost an obsession. I can't wait to get the seeds started in the spring and this fall I intend to extend my harvest up to Thanksgiving outdoors with covers. I also love my English Roses, Peonies, and Irises in my flower garden along with other perennials.

With doing both, you'll find they'll keep you busy all year round. Its a fun way to live. Enjoy and good luck.

Last edited by quiltbea on 3/9/2013, 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 3/9/2013, 12:30 pm

For those not familiar with Red Malabar Spinach, here's more info from Brooklyn Botanic Gardens, article by: Scott D Appell:

Having trouble figuring out how much spinach to plant! Red_ma10
Red-veined Malabar Spinach.

Malabar spinach excels in warm, tropical areas, where it can easily grow a foot per day. It's intolerant of any chills; thus, the only regions in the U.S. where it would be perennial are the Deep South or southern Florida. Gardeners in colder climates can grow it as an annual.

Basella alba prefers a humus-rich, sandy loam in full sun. Seeds can be sown in situ after all danger of frost has passed, or they can be started indoors eight weeks before the last frost date, hardened off outside, and transplanted one foot apart. Use any style of plant support you prefer: poles, teepees, chain-link fencing. Malabar spinach is amazingly insect and disease resistant, and that is saying a lot; in Puerto Rico, legions of caterpillars and grasshoppers can decimate an entire planting overnight, yet the spinach remains untouched!

Propagation from seed is a snap, and happily, the red-stemmed cultivar of Malabar spinach comes true from seed. Saving seed is easy too: Simply dry the entire fruit and use it for planting the following year. Stem and tip cuttings may be employed as well. (One source for the plant is Shady Acres Herb Farm, 7815 Highway 212, Chaska, MN 55318; 952-466-3391; www.shadyacres.com.)

The succulent leaves and stem tips are rich in vitamins A and C and are a good source of iron and calcium. They may be eaten raw in salads, boiled, steamed, stir-fried, or added to soups, stews, tofu dishes, and curries. Or you can use them as a filling for quiche, omelets, savory turnovers, and potpies. Since red-stemmed Malabar spinach can lose a lot of its red color when cooked, perhaps it is best utilized (visually speaking) in raw dishes.

Last edited by quiltbea on 3/9/2013, 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To give credit for article)
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 3/10/2013, 12:59 am

A little off subjest here but I was a thing on pinterest where they blend extra spinach with some water then freeze it into icecubes and use spinach icecubes for the smoothies, thought I would share because I thought it was a great idea for excess! Very Happy
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  lindabateslawson 3/10/2013, 5:31 pm

A little off subjest here but I was a thing on pinterest where they blend extra spinach with some water then freeze it into icecubes and use spinach icecubes for the smoothies, thought I would share because I thought it was a great idea for excess!

Wow, I LOVE that idea! Thanks
lindabateslawson
lindabateslawson

Back to top Go down

Post  cyclonegardener 4/26/2013, 4:26 pm

Might try overwintering spinach.
I had one spinach plant left in my cold frame that I didn't dig out in early January. By the middle of April, the leaves were huge. Got me thinking to let some of my spinach overwinter next winter.
cyclonegardener

Male Posts : 104

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down