Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Forum Search Feature Toplef10Forum Search Feature 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Forum Search Feature I22gcj10Forum Search Feature 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Forum Search Feature Toplef10Forum Search Feature 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Forum Search Feature I22gcj10Forum Search Feature 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Forum Search Feature

+3
yolos
Tris
RoOsTeR
7 posters

Go down

Forum Search Feature Empty Forum Search Feature

Post  RoOsTeR 3/5/2013, 7:18 pm

I would like to inform and remind all members that we have two great search features on our forum. They are both located on the left hand side of the page. One (I consider this one to be the best) is located just above the latest topics list. The second is located just below the latest topics list. I highly encourage every member to use these features when you are searching for specific information. Lots of times, before starting a new thread, you can find one already started with useful information already posted.
If you post a new topic with a simple answer and that's all that's needed, I may lock and possibly even remove those from the open forum.
I would also like to add that when I or the moderators find topics or posts out of place or in the wrong forum, we will move them as we see fit. We try to inform members (especially the OP) if we do move these posts, however that may not always be the case. If your post or posts get moved, please don't take offense. It's a matter of keeping things organized which in turn, helps everyone on the forum. Sometimes we take a lot of flack for moving posts, which really isn't necessary. It's nothing personal at all. It's just part of trying to keep things organized.
Thanks everyone! Very Happy

Forum Search Feature Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Forum Search Feature Empty Forum ettiquite question

Post  Tris 3/5/2013, 7:27 pm

I just read the updated "use the search box" announcement, but didn't have the proper privileges to ask there. I've been using the search pretty extensively, but in all other forum worlds I've been on, its considered bad to resurface a "zombie" or old thread with new questions, and always encouraged to ask the questions new because things change and the answers could as well. It could be coincidental timing but I feel a bit reprimanded for my simple questions.
Tris
Tris

Back to top Go down

Forum Search Feature Empty Re: Forum Search Feature

Post  RoOsTeR 3/5/2013, 7:41 pm

Like I said, don't take it personally. I don't call it bad "etiquette" at all. It's called being organized. If a thread is horribly dated and obviously doesn't pertain, then by all means start a new thread. I'm not saying folks can't start new threads, but many times we have multiple threads of the exact same thing and it's simply not needed. Also, we find threads started that are just completely out of place and need to be moved. There's absolutely no reason to take offense to any of this and if you're offended, I apologize. That's not the intent, but I do want folks to understand that things can and do and will get moved. This is to everyone's benefit.

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 11/27/2014, 10:30 am

I must be doing something wrong and I need a little advice.  I was searching for the post that johnp did a few days ago about cooking a spatchcocked turkey.  I eventually found the post by going to members and selecting all posts by johnp.  But I should have been able to find the post by using the search feature.  So tell me what I did wrong.  And no I did not misspell the word because I finally copied it from johnp's post and pasted it into the search box.

I used both the top and the bottom search features. 
In the search feature at the top of the latest topics list, I pasted
spatchcocked  .  Then clicked on "inside", then clicked on "posts", then clicked on "Go".   And there were no results.

In the search feature at the bottom of the latest topics list, I pasted spatchcoked again and made sure the SFG box was checked.  This is the result I received:

spatchcocked site:https://squarefoot.forumotion.com//

Your search - spatchcocked site:squarefoot.forumotion.com - did not match any documents.

So what am I doing wrong.  This is not the first time I have had searching the forum.  Can you search for words inside a post or only topics or titles.  When I searched for Thankgiving, the post I was looking for showed up in the list of posts.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 11/27/2014, 10:40 am

If you're still looking the topic is stillbin latest topics scroller 'Early Thanksgiving '
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t18715-early-thanksgiving?highlight=early+thanksgiving

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 11/27/2014, 12:20 pm

I've run into the same problem as Yolos. I KNOW there is a topic I'd like to find, but the search comes up empty.

I think this issue was brought up in a post a couple of months ago. 

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 11/27/2014, 12:38 pm

Sometimes I find it difficult to find a particular thread and usually it's because the title is not about what the thread is about. I will go directly to Google and usually have good luck in ferreting out the thread I want.
This is something I keep in mind when I title a new thread or when I edit a title of a thread already in place. Keeping the title clear in relation to the content of the thread is pretty important.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Forum Search Feature WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 11/27/2014, 12:59 pm

camprn wrote:Sometimes I find it difficult to find a particular thread and usually it's because the title is not about what the thread is about. I will go directly to Google and usually have good luck in ferreting out the thread I want.
This is something I keep in mind when I title a new thread or when I edit a title of a thread already in place. Keeping the title clear in relation to the content of the thread is pretty important.
ok...now I have another question. Are you saying the search only searches titles and not the content of a thread? Maybe that's my problem??
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 11/27/2014, 1:05 pm

southern gardener wrote:
camprn wrote:Sometimes I find it difficult to find a particular thread and usually it's because the title is not about what the thread is about. I will go directly to Google and usually have good luck in ferreting out the thread I want.
ok...now I have another question. Are you saying the search only searches titles and not the content of a thread? Maybe that's my problem??

That is my question also.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/28/2014, 2:56 pm

Maybe we should change the name of the topic since the spatchcocked turkey was a big hit.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Forum Search Feature Empty Splatchcocked Search Test

Post  yolos 11/28/2014, 5:29 pm

I did some playing around with the search feature.  It appears if the word you are searching is in the Title of the Topic line when you first start a thread, it will come up in the search.  If you add a post to the tread, if the word is in the "Post Title" line it will also come up in the search.

So to test it, I have added a title to my post.  You can search on the word splatchcocked and it will come up when you search inside the forum using either the "Posts" or "Topics" choices.  If you use the "Posts" feature it will bring up this particular post.  If you use the "Topics" feature, it will bring up the entire thread and then you have to scroll thru the tread to find the actual post.

So, when you are starting a thread or adding a post, if you think you or anyone else would like to find the post in the future, you could make sure a word identifying the thread or post is in the topic line or the title line.

I added a post to the Early Thanksgiving thread and put splatchcocked in the title of my post and that thread will now come up when you do a search.  Wala.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/28/2014, 6:08 pm

Thank you for this info. Very helpful.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/1/2023, 12:53 pm

I am "bumping" this post as a reminder that we have 2 Search features on the Home Page. One is above Latest Topics, the other below Latest Topics.

Keep in mind that posts and their replies are dated so look for the more recent ones first. This Forum was started in 2009. Very Happy

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Forum Search Feature Empty Search Engine Tips

Post  markqz 3/1/2023, 6:19 pm

The upshot is, if you want things found, put the key words in the "Post title" box. Because the forum engine only searches the titles -- not the text.

The Google Search (at the bottom of "Latest Topics") can search the entire forum including text, but appears to only get updated every 3 months or so.
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum