Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Indeterminate tomatoes in buckets experiment - Page 2 Toplef10Indeterminate tomatoes in buckets experiment - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Indeterminate tomatoes in buckets experiment - Page 2 I22gcj10Indeterminate tomatoes in buckets experiment - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Indeterminate tomatoes in buckets experiment - Page 2 Toplef10Indeterminate tomatoes in buckets experiment - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Indeterminate tomatoes in buckets experiment - Page 2 I22gcj10Indeterminate tomatoes in buckets experiment - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Indeterminate tomatoes in buckets experiment

+12
llama momma
FamilyGardening
jazzycat
RoOsTeR
cheyannarach
crappie josh
JackieB999
Hoggar
quiltbea
Hardcoir
Dunkinjean
Coelli
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Indeterminate tomatoes in buckets experiment - Page 2 Empty Re: Indeterminate tomatoes in buckets experiment

Post  Coelli 6/16/2013, 1:39 am

Sorry guys! :DOkay, no pictures at the moment but:

I have been harvesting tomatoes like crazy and most of my plants are at the top or higher than the 6' support. I have stopped pruning them for now and am letting them grow as many suckers as they want.

The strategy of just tying the main stem back to the PVC supports works great IF there is no fruit on the vines. As the fruit grows, especially with the beefsteak varieties, the weight of the fruit will start to weigh everything down and pull the main stem down. I had to create slings for some of the fruit and stems that are attached to the top cross support. Next season when I convert all the buckets to self watering I will add at least 2 or 3 cross members to each support using tees. So in other words right now they look like this:

|-----|
|       |
|       |
|       |
|       |

But I will add cross supports (using T's) so they're like this:

|-----|
|       |
|       |
|-----|
|       |
|       |
|-----|
|       |
|       |

That should give more places for the twine to anchor securely. There are other ways to do it, but I think that might be the easiest.

The tomatoes in the SWC have less cat facing than the others. Most of my plants are suffering from curled leaves which I think had mostly to do with the severe pruning. I will not try to string them using a single string again, as I broke off the top of two plants that way. Too risky if you're clumsy Smile
Coelli
Coelli

Female Posts : 300

Back to top Go down

Indeterminate tomatoes in buckets experiment - Page 2 Empty Re: Indeterminate tomatoes in buckets experiment

Post  GWN 6/16/2013, 10:38 am

I inadvertantly CUT the top of one of my best tomatoes this year and so am working at the "let the sucker take over" technique.  I am so afraid I am going to absent mindedly cut that one off, since I am out there cutting suckers every day.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Coelli 6/17/2013, 7:57 pm

GWN wrote:I inadvertantly CUT the top of one of my best tomatoes this year and so am working at the "let the sucker take over" technique.  I am so afraid I am going to absent mindedly cut that one off, since I am out there cutting suckers every day.

One of mine had a sucker so it recovered very nicely, but the other did not, and that was the end of my Red Grape. It just proceeded to set and ripen the rest of its fruit and I'll be pulling it pretty soon.

As an added bonus I realized I can do peas and beans in these too!
Coelli
Coelli

Female Posts : 300

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 6/20/2013, 11:36 pm

Coelli wrote:I just planted 9 of my tomatoes in buckets and here's what we're trying this year:

Indeterminate tomatoes in buckets experiment - Page 2 Wp_20114

Each bucket has two 6' pipes zip-tied to the inside with 3 zip ties on each side, then two elbows at the top and a 10" piece between them. we made all of them in less than 30 minutes. One tip is to get the zip ties closed loosely in place, then slide the pipe down into the loops, then tighten. If anyone's not clear on the construction I can take pictures when I make the last 3. Smile
Goody, we've got the piping; and together with your pictured T-cross pieces, & Top-elbows they provide two Smile of the 3 supports needed. Thanks so much for these suggestions. Have you harvested any juice-dripping tasty Wink Tomatoes yet?
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Female Posts : 370

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/20/2013, 11:46 pm

Coelli
I am growing many things in buckets this year and have become acutely aware of the loss of nutrients. I got a huge load of 2 year old manure mixed with chips that have all composted for 2 years.
The stuff is incredibly nutrient rich... and I filled my 5 gallon buckets with it and planted my plants
Only problem is whenever I water them.... all this incredibly rich brown stuff comes out the holes in the bottom, I have become very aware of how much over watering wastes.

So have have now gathered them on a large plastic sheet and put lots of wood chips between the buckets to soak up the nutrients. I have become much more conservative with my watering now, I try to water ONLY until the water begins to pour out the holes at the bottom
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 6/21/2013, 12:50 am

GWN wrote:Coelli
I am growing many things in buckets this year and have become acutely aware of the loss of nutrients, from a huge load of manure mixed with chips that have all composted for 2 years. Only problem is all this incredibly rich brown stuff comes out the holes in the bottom, I have become very aware of how much over watering wastes.

So have have now gathered them on a large plastic sheet and put lots of wood chips between the buckets to soak up the nutrients.  I try to water ONLY until the water begins to pour out the holes at the bottom
Our containers are already on plastic sheets, so how about we line them all up in a tray like set-up, to better recycle all this rich brown 'gold' Smile Would this work you think? - I also stop watering when I see it leave the bottom.
Also,
since our present demand needs much more compost than currently available, I've decided not to fret about what quality plants are growing in, so long as I use Compost-tea liberally...
Re using Compost-tea, here's a nonfood success story: One of our prize hydrangea's was setting fewer buds past few years, & the leaves increasingly yellowed sickly/deformed/ghastly awful Sad Clearly it cried for help, so I poured Compost-tea (could see blueberries still floating in it, lol) right into the ground; about a gallon each time, times 3 waterings... After a mere month, oh boy what a difference! cheers 99% of the leaves are now a healthy dark green, and there are over 30 Blossom clusters cheers on this 4 foot bush developing... with 2 of them opening
with Cream+Pink-centers similar to: http://www.daytonnursery.com/Encyclopedia/Images/Hydrangea%20Invincibelle%20Spirit%20SM.jpg (except ours are about her hand size). PRAISE God. What speechless splendor He continually so richly blesses bear hug us with.

question: How many holes did you put in your container bottoms, & their size? - I have 6 in each about less than 1/4-1/2 inch, is this good?
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Female Posts : 370

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/31/2013, 4:32 am

Any more updates forthcoming?
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2