Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Some what/how to plant/grow questions... Toplef10Some what/how to plant/grow questions... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Some what/how to plant/grow questions... I22gcj10Some what/how to plant/grow questions... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Some what/how to plant/grow questions... Toplef10Some what/how to plant/grow questions... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Some what/how to plant/grow questions... I22gcj10Some what/how to plant/grow questions... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Some what/how to plant/grow questions...

2 posters

Go down

Some what/how to plant/grow questions... Empty Some what/how to plant/grow questions...

Post  Amy in Idaho 4/18/2010, 2:29 am

So I am in zone 4 and noticed some in zone 5 are just putting in cold crops. I have had many gardens but this is the first time I am learning about what I am really doing. For example, I didn't know peas liked the cold, or spinach. Or that you could harvest lettuce greens from the outside and leave the plant. In past years of row gardening most of my garden has been occupied by zucchini, crook neck and cucumbers, with just a little room left for a tomato and a row of beans and carrots. And since I didn't know I could plant some crops before frost was over I have never planted before memorial day. So I have several questions. I am happy that I can ask all you wonderful people here! I will just start at the top of my list. Someone mentioned planting Broccoli recently, did you plant in garden with seeds or seedlings? Can Cauliflower be planted the same as Broccoli? Someone also mentioned planting carrots and radishes already, if my last frost date is usually memorial day, is it too early for me to plant these and the rest of my root veggies? Do Eggplants need trellised/caged, I have never grown them but love to eat them? Any advice on SFG with beets and rutabegas? Has anyone tried the Wada peas that say they don't need trellising? Do green peppers need support? Many of my lettuces say 8 inch spacing, would I do 4 per? (BTW love the idea of scattering lettuce seeds in square and thinning/eating/transplanting down to right number.) I am sure this year will be a phenomenal year of the garden for me, joke... Some what/how to plant/grow questions... Icon_razz because I am planting soooooo much stuff. I counted how many lettuce seeds I bought, 8, with two chards, three spinach and arugula. I also bought five varieties of carrots. This is my experiment year, after this I am going to know so much. Many of the things I am trying this year I tried before and just didn't know enough about. And don't worry, I will take lots of pictures to share and keep a journal. Some what/how to plant/grow questions... Icon_biggrin Thanks in advance for any advice!
Amy in Idaho
Amy in Idaho

Female Posts : 53

Back to top Go down

Some what/how to plant/grow questions... Empty Re: Some what/how to plant/grow questions...

Post  Kabaju42 4/18/2010, 12:14 pm

As my Uncle put it, "I'm in zone 5 or 6 depending on the year." This is my first year with SFG, and also my first year in a while with a garden since I've been renting for the past few years. So a lot of this is an experiment with me too. To throw in a wild card: this is an El Nino year, which will really make things interesting. With all that, I'd love to compare notes with you, and anyone else in our region that's been lurking around the forums.

Amy in Idaho wrote:So I am in zone 4 and noticed some in zone 5 are just putting in cold crops. I have had many gardens but this is the first time I am learning about what I am really doing. For example, I didn't know peas liked the cold, or spinach.

Both of these are cold weather crops. I've even heard that the spinach actually tastes better if it's experienced a frost or too. According to my notes, both can be planted 4-8 weeks before the last expected frost. I planted pea seeds three weeks ago (right about at the 8 week mark for where I live), and they a little longer to germinate, but they have still germinated.

Amy in Idaho wrote:Or that you could harvest lettuce greens from the outside and leave the plant.
A bit of a surprise for me too, but these plants are probably used to being grazed by wildlife so they're used to using a leaf or too.

Amy in Idaho wrote:In past years of row gardening most of my garden has been occupied by zucchini, crook neck and cucumbers, with just a little room left for a tomato and a row of beans and carrots. And since I didn't know I could plant some crops before frost was over I have never planted before memorial day.
My last garden was a salsa garden with roma tomatoes and three kinds of peppers. The rule of thumb I used was also Memorial day (easy to remember and two weeks after the last average frost just to be sure), but I was talking with someone at a nursery yesterday and he said his rule of thumb is once it hits 80 it's probably safe to plant.

Amy in Idaho wrote:So I have several questions. I am happy that I can ask all you wonderful people here! I will just start at the top of my list. Someone mentioned planting Broccoli recently, did you plant in garden with seeds or seedlings? Can Cauliflower be planted the same as Broccoli?
I planted two squares with broccoli seed, but I've seen it in the stores. So far one square has sprouted, but the other hasn't. If it doesn't sprout by next weekend, I may just buy a broccoli seedling to put in there. I haven't looked into Cauliflower, but I know it's very closely related to broccoli, so it's probably the same.

Amy in Idaho wrote:Someone also mentioned planting carrots and radishes already, if my last frost date is usually memorial day, is it too early for me to plant these and the rest of my root veggies?
I just planted both. Carrots are supposed to be 2-3 weeks before the last average frost, so it's about right for me. Radishes are actually supposed to be after the last frost, and if it does frost then cover them. However, I saw a forecast a while ago that since it's an El Nino year, the upper half of Utah has a 33% chance of being hotter than normal. (Sorry I don't remember what it said for Idaho). I figured radish is only supposed to take a month to grow, so I'd risk it. If it frosts again, and I won't have lost much.

Amy in Idaho wrote:Do Eggplants need trellised/caged, I have never grown them but love to eat them? Any advice on SFG with beets and rutabegas? Has anyone tried the Wada peas that say they don't need trellising?
Sorry, I don't know for those.

Amy in Idaho wrote:Do green peppers need support?
I haven't in the past, but someone else mentioned that they're fragile enough, a cage helps.

Amy in Idaho wrote:Many of my lettuces say 8 inch spacing, would I do 4 per? (BTW love the idea of scattering lettuce seeds in square and thinning/eating/transplanting down to right number.)
I did 4 per square, but I didn't scatter the seeds.

Amy in Idaho wrote:I am sure this year will be a phenomenal year of the garden for me, joke... Some what/how to plant/grow questions... Icon_razz because I am planting soooooo much stuff. I counted how many lettuce seeds I bought, 8, with two chards, three spinach and arugula. I also bought five varieties of carrots. This is my experiment year, after this I am going to know so much. Many of the things I am trying this year I tried before and just didn't know enough about. And don't worry, I will take lots of pictures to share and keep a journal. Some what/how to plant/grow questions... Icon_biggrin Thanks in advance for any advice!
It will be interesting for me too with four kinds of lettuce, including enough Endive seeds to plant an acre because I didn't realize how much were in 8 ounces (oops Some what/how to plant/grow questions... Icon_razz) I have two kinds of carrots, including purple carrots. I haven't had success with carrots before, but hopefully the Mel's mix will change that. Lots of experiments, and lots of fun. Some what/how to plant/grow questions... Icon_bounce
Kabaju42
Kabaju42

Male Posts : 249

Back to top Go down

Some what/how to plant/grow questions... Empty Re: Some what/how to plant/grow questions...

Post  Amy in Idaho 4/19/2010, 1:21 am

Thank you so much for your reply and answers! I haven't had much luck with carrot either, I am also hoping Mel's mix makes a difference. I think to be safe I will wait on my radishes. I am not supprised it's an El Nino year, the weather here in Idaho has been insane! Snow one day, then rain, then 70 degrees.
So, only questions really left are: Do Eggplants need trellised/caged, I have never grown them but love to eat them? Any advice on SFG with beets and rutabegas? Has anyone tried the Wando peas that say they don't need trellising?
Amy in Idaho
Amy in Idaho

Female Posts : 53

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum