Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Western mountains and highplains!!  FEB 2013 Toplef10Western mountains and highplains!!  FEB 2013 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Western mountains and highplains!!  FEB 2013 I22gcj10Western mountains and highplains!!  FEB 2013 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Western mountains and highplains!!  FEB 2013 Toplef10Western mountains and highplains!!  FEB 2013 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Western mountains and highplains!!  FEB 2013 I22gcj10Western mountains and highplains!!  FEB 2013 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Western mountains and highplains!! FEB 2013

+2
JocyMc
cheyannarach
6 posters

Go down

Western mountains and highplains!!  FEB 2013 Empty Western mountains and highplains!! FEB 2013

Post  cheyannarach 2/2/2013, 2:33 am

So for me it has been a long winter with a few months left to go. I don't know about any of you but I am getting anxious to plant something! For the last month all I have grown are green onion stems in my windowsill. I want to start my summer seeds but have been reminded it's too early, by Camprn! Thank you Camprn! I am refraining until the 1st of March because of word of the wise except fot onions.... It seems that onions are hard to start from seed and they take so long to grow so have decided to start them first (nowish) and then get them in the ground as soon as I can. It may be a waste of my time but I am one of those people that the curiousity can get the best of. We have such a large region so somebody has to be planting something.... What are you doing in your garden??
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Western mountains and highplains!!  FEB 2013 Empty Planting in Pocatello, ID

Post  JocyMc 2/2/2013, 6:33 pm

Today I attended a "Month by Month" gardening seminar. For February I was told I could start these seeds indoors: perennials, geraniums, snapdragons, petunias, peppers, celery, onions, and most herbs, plus dahlia canna and begonia bulbs. I picked up some petunia, pansy, & onion seeds to experiment with. I have a heat mat to help with germination. I need to get a good grow light before the seedlings get too big. In the meantime I've got a lamp with a flexible arm that I put close to them.
JocyMc
JocyMc

Female Posts : 17

Back to top Go down

Western mountains and highplains!!  FEB 2013 Empty Re: Western mountains and highplains!! FEB 2013

Post  cheyannarach 2/2/2013, 9:13 pm

Oh!! Sounds like fun and glad you\'re here to the forum!! ow, you get to start a lot, I have to say I am a little jealous! Last year I started my seeds for the first time and I didn't have grow lights so I think this year I will "graduate" up to some cheap grow lights I found at Menards. I just have to figure out how to hang them thinking Happy gardening!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Western mountains and highplains!!  FEB 2013 Empty Re: Western mountains and highplains!! FEB 2013

Post  JocyMc 2/3/2013, 7:00 pm

Thanks for the welcome. Have you tried "Winter sowing"? It's another way to start seeds early, but outdoors. This site has a great explanation, A Garden for the House. I have 6 mini greenhouses that I set up using some old flower seeds. Hopefully they do well.
JocyMc
JocyMc

Female Posts : 17

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 2/17/2013, 3:24 pm

Yesterday I planted onion seeds on the windowsill. Today I uncovered the cold frame and sprinkled a salad mix. It looked a little dry in there so I dumped a couple buckets of snow in it.

The snow has melted off part of the beds. I see the Johnny Jump Up violas are still green. Very Happy I may have to move them come spring to some place where they can stretch out.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2619

Back to top Go down

Post  david.krizo 2/17/2013, 8:37 pm

I have Walla Walla onions up and determinate tomatoes. They live in a cold frame during the day and in the house at night.
david.krizo
david.krizo

Back to top Go down

Post  akhitk 2/18/2013, 7:03 pm

I found you! Here I thought I was in the Pacific Northwest gardening belt but thanks to NGA, I learned that I'm in the Western Mountains & High Plains. Though they say my region in Palmer, AK is zone 4 - no way - I'm not losing another zone 4 plant to Winter.

It'll be a while for me - especially because the frost is so deep due to lack of snow early this Winter (got lots of it now). I am considering putting up some hoops over my raised beds to see if I can get the soil warmed up earlier. Anybody else try this??

Last edited by akhitk on 2/18/2013, 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Corrected the post title)
akhitk
akhitk

Back to top Go down

Post  johnsonjlj 2/19/2013, 4:49 am

Oh!! Sounds like fun and glad you\'re here to the forum!! ow, you get to start a lot, I have to say I am a little jealous! Last year I started my seeds for the first time and I didn't have grow lights so I think this year I will "graduate" up to some cheap grow lights I found at Menards. I just have to figure out how to hang them thinking Happy gardening!

Cheyannarach, I received the best Christmas gifts in the world this past Christmas- money to buy garden supplies!! I decided to start all of my own seeds this year (one bad experience with a purchased tomato transplant was enough for me!), so I purchased a grow light, pots & trays. When it came to hanging the light, my husband used the top 2 shelves from a couple of shelving units we purchased years ago from Lowe's, some pvc, s hooks and chain. It works great! The bottom shelf on the floor helps to keep the posts between the shelves stable (all of this comes apart) and the pvc goes all the way to the floor. Having never built one before, we did discover that you don't really need the light to go that far up, so the pvc could have been shorter. Next year we're going to add one more shelf and have 2 lights. Don't want to put the plants on the bottom near the floor. We have too many doggy and kitty critters around here! Besides, the older we get, the more difficult it will be to get that low! lol Wink

Judi

Western mountains and highplains!!  FEB 2013 0a5ce71c-5527-40e0-8e2e-8110b09fc812_zpsf2bd45c2
Sorry for the sideways picture- not sure how to fix it! I took it with my phone and posted it here from my Dropbox folder, and it's showing normally there!
johnsonjlj
johnsonjlj

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 2/19/2013, 1:25 pm

That looks like a great set up Judi! Thanks for the picture, it looks like someone got it turned the right way! The grow lights I found at Menards are screw in light (kinda look like a motion light bulb). I haven't got any yet. Hopefully one of these days! Very Happy
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down