Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Gunny's Garden Update - Page 2 Toplef10Gunny's Garden Update - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Gunny's Garden Update - Page 2 I22gcj10Gunny's Garden Update - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Gunny's Garden Update - Page 2 Toplef10Gunny's Garden Update - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Gunny's Garden Update - Page 2 I22gcj10Gunny's Garden Update - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Gunny's Garden Update

+12
FamilyGardening
Farmer Don
quiltbea
female
bnoles
plantoid
Goosegirl
Kelejan
camprn
Gunny
GWN
llama momma
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Gunny's Garden Update - Page 2 Empty Re: Gunny's Garden Update

Post  Gunny 3/19/2013, 7:13 pm

That's the real one. my belly button one is in Feb. LOL
Gunny
Gunny

Male Posts : 158

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunny 3/19/2013, 8:52 pm

As some of you know I have a real problem with thorns from times past before we got this property and homesteaded it, thorns were cut from the mesquite trees and left on the ground or just covered up and left. Recently I bought a new pair of chucka style boots to wear when working out back. Those boots now leak like a sieve.
Gunny's Garden Update - Page 2 Dart_b10
This is the bottom end of those boots with the thorns removed, but you can still see the holes.
Now all these thorns are located in and about this patch of arrow weed.
Gunny's Garden Update - Page 2 Arrow_10
This view is looking at them from another angle. If you look at the base of the plants you can see old branches in there.
Gunny's Garden Update - Page 2 Arrow_11
Well it took most of two days to clear the arrow weed. Had to dig down about a foot and a half to get to the rhizome and then had to use a hatchet to cut it out and a pribar to break parts off. But finally got it all out and I was left with this.
Gunny's Garden Update - Page 2 Hidden10
Now you can see all sorts of stuff here. the thin straight stuff is arrow weed and everything else are thornes.
Gunny's Garden Update - Page 2 Almost10
After all the surface was cleared away I was left with the task of getting the buried thorns out and away from here so I could use the tree and area surrounding it for gardening and related projects plus storage for items that I will need further down the road.
Gunny's Garden Update - Page 2 Hidden11
Now all that was left to do was go over this area with a bow rake until I had most of it all raked to an outer perimeter.
Gunny's Garden Update - Page 2 No_mor10
Okay, I goofed this is just a larger view of the one above. Here's the one I wanted you to see.
Gunny's Garden Update - Page 2 95_tho10
You can see the brush pile in the back where the arrow weed and thorns all ended up. Going to have one big compost pile there with all that stuff underneath.
Now all I have left to do is sift that ring of rakings to separate the good stuff from the bad. What good stuff you ask? All those ity bity leaves that have been laying there for years, they'll make the horse manure happy to have some company. So Taking my handy dandy
Gunny's Garden Update - Page 2 Shifte11
sifter I started at one end of the perimeter row and worked my way to the other. You can see the leaves in the barrow and some of the thorn debris on top of the screen. Using 1/4 inch here as 1/2 inch lets to much fall through.
My reward after all that was this nice pile of leaves waiting to go into bin 1 when I turn it shortly.
Gunny's Garden Update - Page 2 Final_10 thanks
Thank you all for following this through with me as I battled those killer thorns.
BTW, shortly after this I bought a pair of military knock offs only to find out that if I want something military like a pair of boots to go to the military to get the real thing. My foot is still sore from where a hidden thorn got me right in the ball of the foot. affraid OUCH!!!
Gunny
Gunny

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 3/19/2013, 9:11 pm

wow Gunny what amazing hard work you are doing affraid ....here in the PNW.... i sit having a pity party sawing logs over slugs taking hostages and Squirrels having early morning parties in our garden.... jocolor

you have to deal with those THORNS..... oh my.....*ouch*....

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 3/26/2013, 2:12 pm

Wow Gunny, when you work at something, you work at something! I was wondering how you would make sure you got every single thorn until I read further. I sure wouldn't want to come across one of those thorns with my hands, let alone the ball of my foot through boots! It just goes to show the old addage of if you are going to do something, do it right! I am just so amazed at the amount of work you have put into all of this! Great job!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Gunny's Garden Update - Page 2 Empty Sweet Potato Slips by Accident

Post  Gunny 4/8/2013, 1:27 pm

I have been trying to grow some slips for the past couple of month no success. I have had store bought sweet potato portions soaking in water. Have taken a sweet potato and halved it and soaked in water for the past three weeks with nothing but what looks like algae growing on the skins after becoming disgusted with the whole process and covering the the halves with water. Today when I was making my second cup of joe I happened to look at some sweet potatoes that were ready bakes with the plastic wrapper and saw the beginnings of little slips starting to emerge. YAE! I can still make my sweet potato window. I took the wrappers off and placed the whole potatoes in one liter plastic bottles with the tops removed and just for grins did the same with the two halves to see if they would sprout also. I have until mid May to get the slips planted so should have plenty of time to grow the slips. Then the long wait for
Gunny
Gunny

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunny 4/8/2013, 1:43 pm

Part Two
(drat this thing can't get back to the end of the post to continue))
To wait for Fall to plant my major garden. Oh well, at least I have plenty of time to fabricate more boxes and prepare compost. With the summer heat I should be able to turn out a lot more.
My compost station has turned into a squash garden. I had thrown some butternut seeds into it and about three weeks ago had a lot of seedlings emerge and I am getting more every day, so I have been busy transplanting them all over the station. Have decided to make a giant three sisters garden there. Put some sweet corn seed in spots devoid of squash and when that gets up then will add the pole beans. Wont have to worry about fertility in that mix. Wow, am I excited again.
Gunny
Gunny

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunny 4/8/2013, 5:25 pm

I found out by accident that I can direct sow tomatoes down here. I planted what I thought was sweet basil in one of my squares and low and behold up comes a tomato plant. Go figure. I guess buzzy seeds let their QC get lax. The packet came in one of those little grow kits that you see in the stores. Well at least another lesson learned for desert gardening.
Gunny
Gunny

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 4/16/2013, 7:29 pm

That is wonderful what you are growing in your compost! Great job on the tomato without even trying to grow one, lol!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Gunny's Garden Update - Page 2 Empty Yuma's fields amaze me...

Post  kat51415 4/17/2013, 9:11 am

I've hauled produce for years and when CA stops producing, places like Yuma start. It is amazing to me what those people can grow in the desert...with enough irrigation. We're in Yuma right now, waiting to deliver. Happy Wednesday, Gunny!
kat51415
kat51415

Female Posts : 91

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunny 4/17/2013, 7:22 pm

And a Happy One to you too. I'm off US 95 at County 14th Street, just south of Yuma. Google where the Mrs. does her thing and you will see a map that shows us. I am at the top end of the property. Stop by for a cup of joe before you otr again.
Gunny
Gunny

Back to top Go down

Gunny's Garden Update - Page 2 Empty gunny's pics

Post  kauairosina 1/23/2014, 12:49 pm

Great pics, Gunny.  I'm going to see if I can post photos the way someone told you in the thread.  It is a cool 63 degrees here in Hawaii and we are all scuttling to find our warmies.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Female Posts : 656

Back to top Go down

Post  brainchasm 3/3/2014, 1:16 pm

Gunny wrote:I have been trying to grow some slips for the past couple of month no success. I have had store bought sweet potato portions soaking in water. Have taken a sweet potato and halved it and soaked in water for the past three weeks with nothing but what looks like algae growing on the skins after becoming disgusted with the whole process and covering the the halves with water. Today when I was making my second cup of joe I happened to look at some sweet potatoes that were ready bakes with the plastic wrapper and saw the beginnings of little slips starting to emerge. YAE! I can still make my sweet potato window. I took the wrappers off and placed the whole potatoes in one liter plastic bottles with the tops removed and just for grins did the same with the two halves to see if they would sprout also. I have until mid May to get the slips planted so should have plenty of time to grow the slips. Then the long wait for
Just wanted to chime in on this - apparently, some suppliers, especially of sweet potatoes, will spray them with Bud-Nip (chlorpropham), a chemical designed to keep them from budding!

https://www.google.com/search?q=bud-nip+sweet+potato&rlz=1C1GGGE___US509US509&oq=bud-nip+sweet+potato&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l2.4528j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

I think my sunflower plant can take me in a fair fight...it's taller than me, and it keeps giving me dirty looks. Shocked
brainchasm
brainchasm

Male Posts : 481

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2