Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What to plant where? Toplef10What to plant where? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What to plant where? I22gcj10What to plant where? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What to plant where? Toplef10What to plant where? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What to plant where? I22gcj10What to plant where? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What to plant where?

+4
quiltbea
jenjehle
herblover
Ages
8 posters

Go down

What to plant where? Empty What to plant where?

Post  Ages 4/17/2010, 1:04 am

Ok folks, we are newbies but full of enthusiasm! What to plant where? Icon_biggrin Can any of you help me and my family of Greenhorns out? What to plant where? Icon_smile

My box is 3 feet wide by 12 feet long and 6 inches deep. I'll have it located running parralell to the rear wall of my home (pics are coming soon). I'd like to plant Squash, Zuchini, Cucumbers, String Beans, Peas, Melons and other climbing veggies in the row closest to the house because I'm going to put a netted trellis up there for them to grow on. Should I plant them in any type of specific order that would make it easier to tend to them? The other sqft rows will be used for other veggies. How about some recommendations as to what to plant and where to plant them. We'd like to grow various peppers, tomatos, broccoli, cabbage, lettuce, onions etc... I'd really like to grow some sweet potatos, anybody know how to make that work? What to plant where? Icon_smile Anyone have any recommendations as to what to plant where? What to plant where? 601593
Ages

Male Posts : 21

Back to top Go down

What to plant where? Empty Re: What to plant where?

Post  herblover 4/17/2010, 9:27 am

Congrats on starting your garden! Not sure what zone you are in; but it is getting late for peas and onions this spring; although you can do peas late in the season for fall. I have not tried squash and melons in an SFG but would be cautious about making sure they are well separated to avoid cross-pollination. Maybe put a tomato plant between them? Peppers were among my best producers last year (my first); I did jalapeno, banana and bell peppers and plan on adding a habanero this year. Kale and Swiss chard did well all season long. Again, the cole crops are probably too late for this spring, but you should be able to get lettuces in. Check the regional forums for your zone, they could probably give you more specific advice for your areas.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  Ages 4/17/2010, 1:59 pm

Hey herblover that's exactly the type of advice that I am looking for, thanks! What to plant where? Icon_biggrin
Any other planting tips and advice are greatly appreciated.

I've got three rows of 12 one square foot sections. Does it make sense to plant the climbers in the back, non climbers in the middle and smaller plants up front? Does anyone know if that makes it easier to tend and harvest?

You know, I probably posted this in the wrong section. Could a moderator place this over in the General SFG section please?

Last edited by boffer on 4/17/2010, 10:27 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Request to Move to General SFG Section)
Ages

Back to top Go down

What to plant where? Empty WELCOME!

Post  jenjehle 4/17/2010, 10:21 pm

I think you have a very similar idea that most people do; planting tall, climbing veggies in the back on the trellis, then shorter as you come toward the front. I usually do cuks (pickling bush type) and tomatoes in the back then peppers and the like in the middle area, then herbs, lettuces, green onions and broccoli toward the front. This works well for me and a lot of others do it this way.

So, your boxes are 12 feet running along the back of your house and come out 3 boxes deep, facing south I assume? You should have great success with this.

I don't have any experience with sweet potatoes, sorry. But you can use the search box to comb through other posts. And maybe someone else will chime in with help for that. I am doing regular potatoes this year for the first time. But not in my SFG, but in 20 gallon containers and doing the straw method.

Good luck and feel free to ask away!
jenjehle
jenjehle

Female Posts : 248

http://picasaweb.google.com/107169543203897472824?feat=email

Back to top Go down

Post  Ages 4/17/2010, 11:42 pm

I guess you can tell that I am a noob here! What to plant where? Icon_redface I hadn't gone through the general SFG forum. Now that I have I realised I'll find a lot of what I was asking about right here. Thanks for the tips! What to plant where? Icon_biggrin
Ages

Back to top Go down

What to plant where? Empty No intermingling please.

Post  quiltbea 4/18/2010, 11:42 am

Do not let your melons intermingle with your cukes or your squash or the melons will be bitter if their blossoms intertwine.

Yes, I would put the smaller crops in the front, mid-sized in the middle and of course, your trellis crops at the rear to get the most sunshine available.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Cropper2 4/24/2010, 4:51 pm

Oh! Thanks for posting that! I am just planning my gardens and had melons right next to cucumbers. I'll have to change that.
Cropper2

Back to top Go down

Post  mckr3441 4/24/2010, 5:52 pm

Hi Ages, I'm thinking about your box being three squares deep with the back of it being up against the wall...

Will you be able to reach across all three squares to those vine crops in the back? They do need some management so access is important. Have you thought about placing the box a foot or two away from the wall so that you can access the plants from behind?

Just a thought.

Happy gardening.

Claire What to plant where? Icon_flower
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 765

Back to top Go down

Post  organicgardeningzen.com 4/25/2010, 2:20 am

My boxes are also 3 x 12. Definitely wouldn't want to have to reach all the way across to tend...mine are perpendicular to my house, so I can reach from all sides when the greenhouse plastic comes off after last frost. Prior to that, I have to scrunch my way down a 1 ft path with low sloping plastic. Sometimes I send my 4 yr old down to do those tasks for me!
organicgardeningzen.com
organicgardeningzen.com

Female Posts : 31

http://www.organicgardeningzen.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 4/25/2010, 8:47 am

quiltbea wrote:Do not let your melons intermingle with your cukes or your squash or the melons will be bitter if their blossoms intertwine.

This only applies if you are saving seed to replant. No problem growing them together-- melons and cukes are in the same family, and since they need a similiar growing environment it makes sense to grow them together. The only problem I can foresee is they are susceptible to the same diseases, so growing them together might increase the possiblity of disease.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 4/25/2010, 8:56 am

Here's a link to a great publication for Texas gardeners:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/publications/guides/E-502_home_vegetable_guide.pdf

You will note that it's way too late for cool season veggies (broccoli, cabbage, onions, etc.) but just the perfect time for the warm season ones. But you can grow the cool season varieties this fall/ winter with protective covers. I'm in the same zone as you and grew lettuce, chard, bunching onions, broccoli all winter with just throwing a cover over them during the severe freezes.

Oh, almost forgot. Sweet potatoes take up a huge amount of room. With the size of your garden, you'd need to dedicate over half of it just to sweet potatoes. You might want to delay those until next year when you have more room. (You do know SFG is an addiction and you'll keep adding boxes, don't you?) What to plant where? Icon_biggrin

Or you can grow them in containers: http://urbangardencasual.com/2008/06/23/ugc-reader-question-can-you-grow-sweet-potatoes-in-a-container/

Good luck on your new endeavour. I find gardening so rewarding.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down