Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
 Herbs: Can you grow culinary herbs and medical herbs together      Toplef10 Herbs: Can you grow culinary herbs and medical herbs together      1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Herbs: Can you grow culinary herbs and medical herbs together      I22gcj10 Herbs: Can you grow culinary herbs and medical herbs together      14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
 Herbs: Can you grow culinary herbs and medical herbs together      Toplef10 Herbs: Can you grow culinary herbs and medical herbs together      1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Herbs: Can you grow culinary herbs and medical herbs together      I22gcj10 Herbs: Can you grow culinary herbs and medical herbs together      14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Herbs: Can you grow culinary herbs and medical herbs together

+2
littlejo
Countryprepper
6 posters

Go down

Herbs: Can you grow culinary herbs and medical herbs together      Empty Herbs: Can you grow culinary herbs and medical herbs together

Post  Countryprepper 12/8/2012, 8:38 pm

I'm trying to plan a garden in the front yard and was wondering if I can grow them together?
Thanks,countryprepper
Countryprepper
Countryprepper

Back to top Go down

Herbs: Can you grow culinary herbs and medical herbs together      Empty Re: Herbs: Can you grow culinary herbs and medical herbs together

Post  littlejo 12/8/2012, 9:00 pm

I think that you plant by name and if the plants are compatible with each other, rather than what they are used for after harvest, check companion planting. You might check the search box on the left, top of page.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Herbs: Can you grow culinary herbs and medical herbs together      Empty Re: Herbs: Can you grow culinary herbs and medical herbs together

Post  camprn 12/8/2012, 9:00 pm

Countryprepper wrote:I'm trying to plan a garden in the front yard and was wondering if I can grow them together?
Thanks,countryprepper
I don't know of any good reason not to plant them near each other... Of course each plant may have different growing requirements.

There are several previous threads on similar subjects that may offer you more information. Here is one.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t13275-medicinal-herbs?highlight=medicinal+herbs

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Herbs: Can you grow culinary herbs and medical herbs together      WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 12/9/2012, 12:34 am

one thing to consider.....some herbs like mint are very invasive and can take over the area....i find herbs like this do better in pots or containers unless they have an area that you dont mind they spread out......

there are lots of other herbs that grow very well as compainion planting Very Happy

happy planting
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 12/9/2012, 2:09 am

Wow! What kind of medical herbs are you growing? In our area, it's frowned upon to grow marijuana anywhere near inhabited areas. Just kidding. Seriously, though, many herbs have both culinary and medicinal uses (garlic for one). Or some plants grown mainly for their flowers can be used as medicine (foxglove, for instance). Our first herb bed was set up like one planted in a recreation of a pioneer homestead: just a selection of herbs planted in a kind of knot garden arrangement. Now I tuck herbs here and there throught the SFG, like basil near the tomatoes.
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh 12/9/2012, 11:06 am

In a 4 x 8 layered 3 tier SFG I grew all 21 herbs of the year. The first year was really easy with keeping the herbs contained to their square, the second year was not bad either. The mint did spread but because Mel's Mix is loose it was easy to reach in and pull it out by the roots and remove it. The horseradish I planted in a container in it's square. Many of the herbs of the year have both culinary and medicinal uses.
 Herbs: Can you grow culinary herbs and medical herbs together      Garden8-1-12
Josh
Josh

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 741

http://greenesgardenthings.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down